Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 7-30 waters- 4895 loads?

Boolit Master

7-30 waters- 4895 loads?

I’ve fall n hard for this 7-30 waters cartridge; I’ve developed some stellar loads with Jwords and Varget and both flavors of 4895.
    Now I’m getting to a cast load work up; my time is limited because of the brand new baby and hunting season and work. I have no manuals that list data for 7-30 and either flavor of 4895 and 135-145 cast loads. I know 4895 is fine for reduced loads; and can extrapolate a starting load from jacked data just wanted to ask if any of you had a pet load with this caliber with this powder? Thanks in advance!

Moderator Emeritus

Far easier to go with 30-30 loads reduced by bullet weight. Ie, for 135 gr 7mm use 150 30 cal, for 150 use 170 data. Reduce 10% for starting loads and you should come in fine. What bullet are you using?
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Thanks; I thought that might be an exceptable route; I’m using a 140ish boolit dropped from
    A lee mold and a 145 boolit dropped from an RCBS mold; both sent to me by a great member here whom
    Helped me get rolling in this caliber. Up till now I’ve just been fire forming brass; than another great member here donated a good amount to me; most already fire formed. So I was going to try a few cast boolits to find a likely candidate to buy a mold and go from there.

Boolit Master
    I have had better luck with 3031 than 4895 with CB's in my various 30 and 7mm barrels. Don't know why. That Lee 7mm mold, if is the "soup can" rather than the usual RNGC, has shot very well and is a fine boolit on deer but I have found the Lee RNGC is significantly more accurate in my 7mm TCU at velocities around 18-1900.

Super Moderator

The 4985's work well, but what has worked really well for me in the 7x30 Waters is AA2520. You might try some of that one too.

Boolit Master

Thanks guys I plan to try several powders down the road; but just having a baby and remodeled three road one and had to buy a new truck and added a new caliber to the stable I have to use the powder I have on hand currently and I have lots of 4895.

Moderator Emeritus

My 23" Contender bbl likes the RCBS 145 gr. Try the Lee 135 rn with 8-9 gr Unique for a good group.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I remember using 3031, but that was almost 30 years ago, I'm sure there are other powders that do just as well.

Banned

NOE makes a 7mm hunter mould that is stellar in the 7-30 waters.

Quote Originally Posted by Blammer View Post
    NOE makes a 7mm hunter mould that is stellar in the 7-30 waters.
    Santa just ordered a 2 cavity & top punch from Al , I've been eyeing that one for a while . What load did you run in your Waters for the steel animals .
    Tim
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28