Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Repackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: 22 TCM Rifle

22 TCM Rifle

I found 2 - 22 TCM cases at the range. They've been sitting on my desk and I look at them from time to time. I decided to build on that speculation a bit.

Measuring the case capacity on the unsized case I get a capacity of 15.8 grains of water. I guessed the seating depth and came out with a max charge of 3 grains of Trail Boss. I need to recheck that as Hodgdon shows only 4 grains in the 223 with a 55.

So the speculation. In the RIA M22 rifle with a cast and powder coated 40 grain boolit, what velocity would you speculate? Factory ammo seems to fire at 2700 fps and I have no interest in that. I'm talking 22 or 22 magnum velocities as a target.

ADMIN

You want to know what the velocity would be for 22 tcm using 40 grain boolit and 3 grains of trail boss???

I can tell you that 3 grains of unique fired out of the pistol using a factory 40 grain JHP will produce about 1150 FPS
    I load H110/W296
    I haven't taken my rifles (I have 2) to the range and shot them over the chrony.

Trail boss is faster burning then unique.
    On the Burn chart I have in front of me, TB is # 19, unique is # 31, and H110/w296/lil gun is around # 63
    So I would guess that 3 grains of TB would put that round out of the pistol about 1300 FPS to 1400 FPS guessing

I worked my unique load up from 2.5 to 3.0

Boolit Bub
    My TCM rifle using 37g PCC bullets over 2.4g of unique averages 1357fps.

Hot loaded 40g vmax bullets over 11.2g of H110 get up to over 2800fps in the same rifle.

What's the accuracy on that 22 mag equivalent load?

Boolit Bub
    My accuracy has been ok, nothing to brag about on the internet. Sub squirrel at 50 yards. Maybe 1.5". Been a while since I tested them in the Chrimp vs no chrimp test. Chrimp was a clear winner.

I will be trying them with gas checks soon. Hoping to get even better.

ADMIN

isn't 22 mag rifle closer to 1800 FPS?
    If so that would be around 3 grains of unique if your 2.4 is giving you 1357 out of the rifle.

Load development for 22 TCM is on my to do list. 10.5 is the H110/w296 load I use using a factory projectile.
    I want to work up some subsonic loads for the rifle since I have multiple cans that can handle full power 22 TCM loads
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Actually if you got away from the oal restrictions and could fire a heavier bullet it would be great with a can. Of course that isn't going to happen in the RIA M22 since it has a 1/16 twist.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by armednfree View Post
    Actually if you got away from the oal restrictions and could fire a heavier bullet it would be great with a can. Of course that isn't going to happen in the RIA M22 since it has a 1/16 twist.
    I actually tried some 48gr PCC bullets. They were almost stable but not really. You could see elongated holes.

The 40gr Vmax bullets had to be single fed into the action as the magazine would not hold them.

You'd probably need at least a 1/12 with that.

Boolit Master
    You're talking essentially a modernized 22 hornet there as far as case capacity and twist are concerned. My hornets (both 16" twist) like Lyman's 225462 which comes out almost 60 grains for me. I use H4227 and shoot around 2400 fps which is quite a lot more poop than 22 magnum but real pleasant and makes for 2-piece sage rats when I shoot 'em. I've never shot light boolits at modest velocities like you are talking but QuickLoad thinks you could get 4.4 grains of TrailBoss in behind the 44 grain Lyman 225438 for 99% load density and 1700 fps velocity (24" bbl) and only 20k psi. So something like that should make a nice load.

Boolit Man
    hey guys...…………...don't know if this will help, but I have been shooting the old Lyman boolit 225415cast out of WW. been shooting this bullet for years, and they are G/C'ed. a couple of years I started using this PC with HF red, and WOW how it has changed the Hornet for me......I load 5 grs of Unique with this boolit, and I have shot yotes at a 100 yds plus....works great for rabbits and squirrels with no meat loss, I always try to headshot them, but it works great for me...………..