PBcastcoLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the basics...

Boolit Master

Back to the basics...

Had to work on a job close to the ranch this week so I was staying there and got Friday off. Figured Thursday night I'd load up a few rounds for the 7 mag and go elk hunting Friday.
    Started late in the evening 10:30 and figured I could get a box loaded easy and trot off to bed. Pulled out fancy new, barely used Hornady Chargemaster powder dispenser, typed in my weight and had it dispensing, checked the scale with another and thought now we're loggin'! Laid out my prepped cases, hit dispense and went for it. Next thing I know, its throwing charges over weight and locking up, fought with that awhile, said heck with it, pulled out powder dispenser and set it, got my electronic scale back out and fire it up. LOW BATT. Must have some AAA batteries right?nope! Pulled out the trusty RCBS beam, zeroes it right on and threw one, trickled up to weight with my trusty RCBS trickler, dump in case. Seat bullet, pull out electronic calipers, get a way funky reading. What the heck? Double check with dial calipers, electronic is .12 off even when zeroed. Finally realized it was faster to use what worked the first 10 years I reloaded and am going to quit trusting these electronics!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    I never organize my operation to complete all operations fron start to finish in a single session.
    Something will almost invariably get lost or go wrong stalling the project. Fate seems to know when you are pressed for time. I also load much larger lots.
    Instead I clean, deprime, size and wash 100 or more cases at on setting. These cases are stored unless they are to be loaded in a few days. If they are soon to be reloaded and I want a uniform lot of primers I go ahead and prime the brass before storage.
    Then if I have a short notice to go hunting or shooting I meerely charge the cases and seat the bullets. There is little chance of anything going wrong. I only use an AMT/Lyman power dispenser.
    I have 2 of them in case one fails.
    If the power fails I have several mechanical balance beam scales.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    I have never been confident in battery operated scales. I will stick with gravity.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master

I love my Chargemaster but I still have my beam scale and powder trickier. Did you get an Elk?

Boolit Master

After my escapade with my electronic calipers. I changed the batteries in and it hasnt been right since. I prefer mechanical tools now.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I love my Chargemaster but I still have my beam scale and powder trickier. Did you get an Elk?
    No elk on that trip for me, there was 1500 head in there over opening weekend (typically a tough weekend to hunt) and my partner got his two cows but they got pushed off the WMA into another hunting district. It will take a little hunting pressure there and they'll be back. So weather will help too (75 degrees opening week). Were headed up there on the 9th with the horses and wall tent to give it a good effort for 4 days though and I'm feeling good about our chances!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Boolit Master
    AZ Pete: Don't be too trusting of gravity, either. According to my gravity-based bathroom scales, the gravity underneath me has been getting stronger lately.
    Loren

Boolit Master

The Hornady Auto Charge is a good electronic powder dispenser.
    Go the Hornadys FAQ section and find the article on how to fine tune it.
    I printed it out and keep it near my loading bench..dale

Boolit Grand Master

As a lifelong machinist mechanic I tried digital measuring tools a few times. The 1" mics were uncomfortable to use, couldn't dunk the tool in a bucket of clean solvent while checking machined parts like I did with my Starret mics. Battery went dead and when I replace it the tool wouldn't hold zero and jumped from metric to inch. Same with digital calipers, couldn't trust them. I've had 3 digital powder scales and one worked for a few months and went crazy, one still works but it's so slow I can't trickle up a load, and the third is OK, but I have to check quite often and tare every second or third time I remove the pan. Perhaps I just have had bad luck with the tools I purchased, and I've not tried any "new and improved" digital tools in 18-20 years...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dale2242 View Post
    The Hornady Auto Charge is a good electronic powder dispenser.
    Go the Hornadys FAQ section and find the article on how to fine tune it.
    I printed it out and keep it near my loading bench..dale
    I will do just that thank you! I got this thing awhile back and haven't loaded with it in enough volume to get confident with it, and I got nervous as well as ticked off when it kept locking up by throwing over weight charges even on the slow setting. Just didn't have the time to fiddle with it and need to make time to get more confident in it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rockshooter View Post
    AZ Pete: Don't be too trusting of gravity, either. According to my gravity-based bathroom scales, the gravity underneath me has been getting stronger lately.
    Loren
    common problem, however gravity acts the same on each side of a balance beam scale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    NRA Endowment Life Member

Boolit Grand Master
    Loren
    I thought that phenomenon was limited to the foothills of the Blue Ridge. I’ve noticed it increasingly in the years since I turned 50, so it’s certainly not a new thing.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the older version of the RCBS Chargemaster and so far so good. I put a .224 bullet on it to check if it is weighing accurately. Then dial in the charge weight and press dispense. By the time I seat the bullet, the next charge is ready.

Will never get rid of my beam scale, but I do not use it
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    I have an electronic scale that I use to weigh boolits and check my beam scale .but if it needs batteries it is guaranteed to let you down at the worst possible moment. Just like cars and motorbikes.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by robg View Post
    I have an electronic scale that I use to weigh boolits and check my beam scale
    For my money, I do the opposite... my balance beams have held their zero for years; checked against certified weights... I'll use those to check the electronic scales!!!

I was gifted a used Hornady Chargemaster a couple months back. Haven't used it yet but will shortly. This is my first electronic scale expect for the 70 pound scale I used to weigh bullet shipments back in the day. We'll see how it goes.

Boolit Master
    going to quit trusting these electronics
    Never have trusted them.

Loren
    Perhaps your not using the scale right. Make sure you are not putting more pressure on one leg or the other.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I have trouble with the gravity thing too - hair on top seems to have slide downhill.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not into speed loading ,, I make to many mistakes,, for years I would tell other's "Lyman 55 " best powder measure ever made !!!
    This time around I use a cheap,, chezzy LEE PM , the round red plastic one ,, haven't had a powder it won't throw accurately within .1 ,, close enough for paper & steel . I still ck. every 10-15 rds. on digital scales used in lab. work.

coffee's ready ,, Hootmix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast