Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Floresville Texas?

Super Moderator

Floresville Texas?

I visited there last weekend, and thought it was a pretty nice place. It seemed pretty layed back, and the people were friendly. I'm considering a move after my retirement in a few years. It's 30 miles or so outside of San Antonio. It looks like properties are pretty reasonable there too, at least compared to where I currently live. Flagstaff winters are starting to get a little rough on us. Anyone familiar with the area? Any input will be appreciated.

Boolit Master
    You need to see it in August. Most can't take texas humidity.
    when the dust settles and the smoke clears all that matters is I hear the words " well done my good and faithfully servant "

<(*)(()><

Super Moderator

Yeah... that's what I've heard. It's really nice in October though!

Moderator Emeritus

Take it from a native Texas.....summer is brutal in Texas.....humidity is oppressive in south and east Texas......but there is no where else I want to live!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Still in South Texas---about 100 miles north of Laredo.
    ShooterAZ; As a lifelong resident of Wilson County, Tx, of which Floresville is the county seat, I concur with the above about
    the heat and humidity, and also agree that I would live nowhere else. Northern Wilson County had a population boom for the
    last 20 or so years due to the overflow from San Antonio, Bexar County---many new residents. Old joke of South Tx---we have
    four seasons, early summer, summer, late summer, and Christmas. All joking aside, if I can answer any questions for you,
    PM me. If you decide to move in, WELCOME!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Move to Reno. It doesn't get near as much snow as Flagstaff and it's still a dry climate.

Boolit Man
    Floresville is a nice spot. I currently live just north of San Antonio and really enjoy it. If you like Floresville may want to check out Castroville off of Hwy. 90. If you like hills, north of SA up HWY 281 is really nice, although the closer you get to SA the amount of people really explodes. Up near Blanco / Fredsricksburg / Johnson City are also really nice areas that are not overly populated. Another nice area is around New Braunfels which has a lot of amenities and quick access to SA.

If you can stay out of Bexar County...taxes are high. In retrospect, if I would have purchased just 5 miles north (Comal Country) of my current location my taxes would be almost 1% lower.

For me the humidity is not to bad (moved from Houston 1 year ago). I does get hot but hey, that is what the Guadalupe river, Comal River or Canyon Lake is for!
    Last edited by Huntsman52; 10-29-2018 at 09:32 AM. Reason: learning to spell.....

Super Moderator

Thanks for all the info guys. I guess we'll need to plan a visit in the summer, so we can see how well we tolerate the heat and humidity. Living in Arizona most my life, I know what extreme heat is like (think Phoenix), not so much the humidity. Flagstaff has never seen 100 degrees, 90 is a hot day for us. Part of the reason for possibly relocating would be to help take care of aging family. Also the cost of living appears to be much lower there, a bonus for our retirement years. This is all a few years away, so we'll have some time to check things out further.

Boolit Master
    Daughter and SIL have a small ranch just outside Floresville. Nice town, nice area.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Moderator Emeritus

My Parents were Snow birds for about 20 years (1985-2005) ...living in MN in the summer and living in a RV park just outside of Hondo TX in the winter (Hondo is about 50 miles from San Antonio).
    They loved that area of TX and thought the people were great, but they never did spend a summer there.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    For beautiful photos of the Texas Hill Country check out Richard Reynold's photography.
    The area around central Texas west of I-35 is very photogenic.

https://richardreynolds.photoshelter...000clCJNRCidTI
    EDG

Super Moderator

I saw some Live Oak trees there that had to be at least 6'+ diameter at the base, maybe more. Limbs that come out and touch the ground and come back up again. Very impressive. Pecan trees were all over too.

Boolit Master
    Pecan trees are kind of a mixed blessing.
    Most are native pecans. The nuts are small and tough to shell.
    Pecan trees shed limbs year around. But they make a wonderful shade next to a creek.
    EDG

Welcome Home in advance!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Hunting it Texas can be tough. Little public hunting in South Texas, big game hunting on the public land is all draw hunting. Leases south of I10 and west of I35 are expensive. Just thought I would mention that if you are a hunter.
    Michael

Super Moderator

Yes, I am a hunter. I also recently heard that Texas has only somewhere around 2% public lands, and that's if you include the Big Bend National Park. I have to admit this is somewhat disheartening for someone who is used to roaming the wide open spaces of Northern Arizona. Thanks for all the input and welcomes everyone. We are carefully weighing all of our options.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ShooterAZ View Post
    Yes, I am a hunter. I also recently heard that Texas has only somewhere around 2% public lands, and that's if you include the Big Bend National Park. I have to admit this is somewhat disheartening for someone who is used to roaming the wide open spaces of Northern Arizona. Thanks for all the input and welcomes everyone. We are carefully weighing all of our options.
    Yeah, not good. Draw hunts are very random, points mean little, non-residents have the same opportunity as residents. A couple of years ago, I was drawn for one of the best South Texas whitetail hunts and the same for a West Texas Mule deer hunts. I was 60 years old and had been applying since I was in my mid-twenties. At the whitetail hunt, the manager said the average years applying was 25. Also, told a story about the first manager of the Wildlife Management Area. He served in that position 32 years, lived on the WMA, applied for the hunt every year, and was never drawn for the hunt.

You must budget hunting if you want to hunt big game.
    Michael

Boolit Master

Would like to see you come here, but I've seen guys make a move, and then leave a couple of years later because they couldn't find a place to hunt.
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    Take it from a native Texas.....summer is brutal in Texas.....humidity is oppressive in south and east Texas......but there is no where else I want to live!
    ^^^This^^^