Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Rechargeable batteries

Boolit Grand Master

Rechargeable batteries

How good are they???
    Do they last as long, when fully charged, as regular batteries????
    Going to be used in small LED flashlights.
    Four to a light.
    Using Duracel now, but they last only a month or so.
    I had a set of the older cadium rechargeable.
    They didn't last to long.
    Thinking with the new lithium, it might be better.

Boolit Grand Master

There’s a huge difference in quality across the brands. Just as important as the battery is the charger. There’s a lot of junk out there. You’re going to pay more for higher capacity and low self discharge. Even though a battery may be the same form factor there’s a lot of options.

Boolit Master
    I'm using Energizers in my scanners, gps, and game camera. Rechargeable batteries work great for my usages.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had great service from Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I always use the Eneloop charger to charge them.

Boolit Master
    Friend of mine swears by metal hydride batteries for various electronic devices. Rechargeable hundreds of times and don't develop a "memory" like nicads did.

Boolit Master
    The mAh (milliampere hour) rating tells you how long they'll last. The bigger the number the longer they'll last in the same device.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    NiMH's or Li-Ion's are great. Li-Ion's are newer, and different than Ni-MH batteries.

Don't charge them in each others' chargers though.

And a lot of the Chinese batteries off the usual suspect auction sites can be VERY inexpensive - And also have VERY overinflated power ratings (mAh ratings) - Often 3 times over actual capacity, and 10x isn't seen as infrequently as an honest person would like.

Oddly the Chinese seem to like brand names like "TrustFire" or "BlazeFire" etc. - As anyone who has seen a Li-Ion battery charged to too high a voltage, pierced with a sharp object, or discharged too fast, will tell you, with those batteries, FIRE is NOT a good thing, AT ALL...

But they are cheap and you can charge the LiIon batteries many times; You want a decent charger that limits battery charging current and also limits the top voltage the battery is charged to. Ideally you don't want to discharge LiIon's too far as that damages them. Overcurrenting and Overvoltaging will cause fire, more exciting than I prefer.

I like both chemistries; NiMH batteries nowadays have a LOT more capacity than the old NiCad's did, so with an old charger they can take a long time to charge, but, they then last a LONG time.

If getting a NiMH battery for an emergency flashlight or the like, you will want to strongly consider Low Self-Discharge batteries (i.e. they stay charged when sitting on the shelf for long periods of time), OR you will want to periodically recharge the batteries to keep them topped up.

Banned

Depends on the size of battery. If looking for AA's the best batteries out there for the price right now are the Amazon Basic in black color. They are made by Eneloop and made in Japan not made in China like just about everything else.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm looking for AAA batteries.
    According to a report on amazon, the Basic Black is now made in china and the Basic White is made in Japan.
    I think I'm going to try the white+charger combo.
    Thanks.

Banned

if duracells only last a month in your flashlight your using the heck out of it and if my experience means anything your not going to find ANY rechargeable that last as long as a good non rechargeable. As to mAh ratings on batterys aren't something that is regulated by law and for the most part a battery manufacture can slap any number he wants on one. If you want to go rechargeable for a flashlight go with something that takes 18650s or better yet 32650s. Bit bigger flashlights but the larger batterys actually have some real life.
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 10-29-2018 at 06:32 AM.

The initial cost for rechargeable batteries is kind of steep. Once you get the equipment, they are very useful in most applications.
    I use them in photography for flash and some cameras. They last longer for me than regular alkaline batteries. You can recharge them many many times.
    Do some research and get top quality batteries. I tried the cheap battery route and it didn't work out well at all. Those cheap China batteries are a waste of money as they won't last long before they go bad on you.
    Rechargeable batteries don't drop voltage as quickly as alkaline batteries do. They maintain their voltage until nearly completely drained.

In AAA size rechargeable batteries, I have had my best usage with Eneloop, Tenergy, Imedion, and Duracell.
    I have been using these brands for years now and am still using the original batteries I purchased. The cheaper batteries all quit on me.
    I use a Powerex brand charger. It gives more control over how fast or slow you recharge your batteries and this can make a difference in how well they charge and how long they last.
    I purchased most of mine on our favorite auction site.

Another +1 for Eloop,I have a set for our electric trash can, going on it's second year on the 1st charge.

Boolit Master

The Amazon Basics are very good cells as well as the Eneloops.

Boolit Master
    I have been using rechargeables in cameras for about 20 years....the AA Eneloop 2000 mah or higher are the best I have used with very low self discharge. Regular rechargeables lose power just sitting....but perform better than any alkaline type battery for camera usage if they are being used. If you intend for the item to sit for months get the low self discharge types. I used Eneloops in Browning and Primos game camera and run them for 2 months before changing them out for fresh recharged batteries....they are rechargeable hundreds of times. They only put out 1.2 volts but do so until they run out of juice. Most camera's show them at only 55-60% charged when first used, but they will perform as well as alkaline, and much better in the cold weather.

Boolit Master

I have had great service from Eneloop rechargeable batteries. I always use the Eneloop charger to charge them.
    and don't look back.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master
    I was just wondering if they can be sent by mail to me.
    Lithium cannot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I was just wondering if they can be sent by mail to me.
    Lithium cannot.
    Eneloop are NiMH so it shouldn't be a problem.

Banned

You have to look at the dates on the reviews on Amazon to judge the reviews. Besides, if you get them and they are made in China send them back.

Here watch this. Start at 12:00 min

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myhUaa8C4XQ&t=1038s

Boolit Master
    The AA Eneloops have simply amazed me with their power capacity and longevity. The only (slight) downside is that in order to get 1500 or so cycles out of them you have to use a slow charging cycle that takes several hours. I don’t find that a problem because I just bought enough extra that I can swap them out with fresh ones.

My bedside flashlight and my wireless mouse are running on them and I have basically let all my old rechargeables wither away.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I like the Eneloops and the Fujitsus. I tried the Energizers and they only lasted half as long as the other two brands. The good ones cost more but they last forever. Just make sure and get a good charger with them (Smart charger).