RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Baikal (Remington) 45-70 Problem

[QUOTE=skeettx;4488996]

What I did was take https://photos.imageevent.com/moosec...baikal%202.JPG
    and put an [img] in the front of the string and an [/img] in the back of the string
    Mike, thanks for the picture help

Hoku

Gotta love a happy ending. I bet that's going to be a real fun rifle. Be interesting to see if the barrel regulation is anywhere close. Gp

Boolit Master
    Ebay has Baikal parts. The USA banned Baikal importation in 2014 as one of its sanctions against Russia.

Boolit Master
    The barrel regulation is tune-able with a screw device........these are solidly made ,no frills guns ,made from first class steel.....I have no doubt they will last a lifetime......but your shoulder wont......so mine had to go,before I was permanently left handed....Some owners use express level loads....more work for 'osteo-doc".......

Very neat. Hopefully it regulates easily with your favorite load hopefully Trapdoor level unless you add a GOOD recoil pad. Polishing it up will make it special. I had a Baikal combo gun and it was a good gun, I just hated the Russian sights��

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Very neat. Hopefully it regulates easily with your favorite load hopefully Trapdoor level unless you add a GOOD recoil pad. Polishing it up will make it special. I had a Baikal combo gun and it was a good gun, I just hated the Russian sights��
    I agree. The recoil pad that comes wiht the gun....well it looks like a recoil pad Ha Ha. I will put a Limb Saver on her and probably a mercury recoil reducer in the butt stock to tame her down. I did that on my 375 Flanged NE and she is a joy to shoot. When to much recoil is not enough......buy a bigger gun LOL

hoku

I have a couple of Baikals and totally agree with your description of their machining. A high school teacher would probably give them a C for their craftsmanship but both are functional guns. My Stevens 411 made by Baikal is my favorite SXS double and has taken a few birds. I have one in an O/U 16 ga which is too heavy for the gauge but is a very functional shotgun. To select barrels you push the trigger ahead which bests most of the other types I have tried. Only thing, they have to put a cast off on the stock and I am a lefty so it is a cast on. Took some judicious rasp work to make the thing shoot. Good luck with your rifle and glad to hear they have a barrel regulator. I bought a CVA muzzle loading double 50 that actually shot further apart the further out you shot it. Kodiak doubles started coming with two sights which I thought was about as practical as a picture window in an out house.

DEP

Quote Originally Posted by northmn View Post
    I have a couple of Baikals and totally agree with your description of their machining. A high school teacher would probably give them a C for their craftsmanship but both are functional guns. My Stevens 411 made by Baikal is my favorite SXS double and has taken a few birds. I have one in an O/U 16 ga which is too heavy for the gauge but is a very functional shotgun. To select barrels you push the trigger ahead which bests most of the other types I have tried. Only thing, they have to put a cast off on the stock and I am a lefty so it is a cast on. Took some judicious rasp work to make the thing shoot. Good luck with your rifle and glad to hear they have a barrel regulator. I bought a CVA muzzle loading double 50 that actually shot further apart the further out you shot it. Kodiak doubles started coming with two sights which I thought was about as practical as a picture window in an out house.

DEP
    The Kodiak Double was a joke with two sights. Duh....lets see which sight do I use on this quick shot on a trophy buck. LOL

hoku

If I understand double rifle regulation, the shots will cross paths just past the regulation yardage somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If I understand double rifle regulation, the shots will cross paths just past the regulation yardage somewhere.

True - Usually at the range game appropriate to the caliber is encountered with the barrel sights.

For a .470, that may be 50yds; but for a .30-06, (say) 100yds.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Looks pretty similar to the internal on the chinese double barrel shotguns being sold. Mine required being taken apart, edges smoothed, etc for it to work well. The lever to unlock can still be a bit tight at times.

Not familiar with the Chinese arms. On the Baikal double rifle, and probably on all Baikal SXS there is a locking bolt spring that gives the break lever and locking bolt pressure to close smartly. The spring is small but stout. On the Baikal Double rifle parts breakdown, its #49. Parts break down is had to read, its small and blurred. Changing that spring to a spring a little lighter, should make opening easier. I like the stronger spring so the locking bolt locks up with authority.
    hoku

Glad you got it all resolved.

Now lets see some targets.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by flashhole View Post
    Glad you got it all resolved.

Now lets see some targets.
    I have had a accident and screwed up my right shoulder. No shooting, no hunting this year, take it easy, then surgery, then take it easy.....Duh ! We already have snow. I have a ramp down to my deck that was snow/ice.
    My dog, since he has 4 paw drive, decided I was going to slow and tried to pass me. I went down hard, hit a supporting post with my right shoulder. It tore a muscle loose, 2 rotator cuff tears. I keep my arm in a sling right now so I dont forget and do something stupid and do more damage. So there goes any shooting till spring.

I am thankful to be able to use my left arm/hand. Over the many years, I have learned to shoot hand guns with the weak hard, so there I am all set. I will spend this winter working on building my 44 mag double rifle. Its getting built on a shotgun frame. I can run my lathe and mill and slowly/carefully keep building. I am thankful, it could be worse. If there are and Doc's or PA's here, attached is the MRI report......not good.
    hoku
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mri text.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	80.4 KB 
ID:	230251

OH man, That is terrible news.
    I have been following this thread with interest since one of my fantasies is having a double rifle in a caliber I might be able to handle.
    Tough luck on the shoulder. Be safe.

Oh man...that's horrible. Did you even get to shoot it before this happened? Sorry you're gonna miss the hunt this year...but stuff happens sometimes. Just get yourself healed up...we'll be waiting on reports of your recovery and how things are going with the double.

Get better soon.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Thanks Tazman / Redhawk
    Nope, never got to fire the Rem 45-70.
    Thanks for your well wishes. I guess the older we get the more fragile

hoku

Same here last year. The good news is that about a year after surgery it'll still hurt a little but you'll be MUCH better. My "rebuild" of torn bicep, torn rotator cuff, and frayed tendons took place in Sept 2017 and I started shooting hanguns lefty. I hunted last season with 30-30 with light cast loads and a slipon pad for one deer and a .357 hangun for another. No shotguns bigger than a .410. The other day I carried a 40# bag of corn in each hand to the truck and tossed them over the side of the bed. It's been a LONG time since I could do that. I'm 60.
    Are you stubbing your .44 double rifle or full length lining?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texas by God;
    Thanks for your recovery info. Gives me a idea what to expect. Sound like I have the same issues you had.

On the 44 mag double. I cut the barrels off at the monoblock. I am using new stainless barrels which will go from the standing breech (chamber) to the muzzle. The shotgun is pre 1900, been in the family since new, so I am told. It has a double under bite and a top bite going into the receiver at the standing breech, it also has exposed hammers. Its absolute perfect face on and tight. But no makers name anywhere, no stamps on the water table or any way to id it. I wanted to build a 450 #2 Nitro Express but with no info on quality I will not take a chance. The bolt thrust of the 44 mag to standing breech is well within reason, thus its a double rifle, exposed hammers in 44 mag. And if I just want to shoot light and punch holes in paper, I can shoot 44 specials. If I get charged by a mean chipmunk, I can drop 44 mags in her LOL.

The mono block is ready, the barrels diameter still need to be turned. Once I get the barrels in the monoblock, I need to design the extractors, then change the firing pins from shotgun size to rifle primer size and bush pins.. It was planned to be a 1/2 winter long project. Now with the screwed up shoulder, it will get done as I can/able to work on her.

hoku

You will get good at one handedness for sure! Another thing- my physical therapy seemed to be going nowhere because my shoulder was "froze up". My surgeon had me knocked out and "cracked it loose" in his words. What a difference! I finished therapy in one week afterwards.
    Please post your project as you progress on it; particularly the barrel regulation. One more thing; you'll be tempted to shoot rifles weak side- wait till your doc says ok. I shot my 25-06 once and it jarred my money shoulder BAD.
    Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast