Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: Best dies for the 7.7x58 Japanese

Best dies for the 7.7x58 Japanese

Hello all
    I'm about to buy a type 99 Arisaka long rifle and want to know which dies are best. I will probably start out with reformed 8mm brass and eventually buy ppu. Long time reloader so not new to it but want to buy once. Any insight into reloading this cartridge would be helpful.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi iron brigade. I have an Arisaka, and think they are great rifles. However, with their issue sights, they are not going to be super accurate bench rest guns. If you do not have any brand preference, I would (and did) buy the Lee dies. They are the least expensive, and certainly up to the job.

In Remembrance

It is hard to beat the Lee dies for serviceability and price. I use them to reload cast boolits in my M99 Arisaka rifle. Since the properly head stamped brass (Norma) is a bit expensive, I use the Lee .303 British collet die to reload without full length sizing as these two cartridges are essentially the same in case length and neck diameter. All you need is the #2 shell holder for the 7.7X58 instead of the #5 for the .303 British. Neck sizing allows the brass to last for many, many firings.

I loaded 7.7 Arisaka for three different rifles over a span of years with Lee dies. No problems at all. I recommend the PPU brass also. No need for Norma prices anymore.

Boolit Master
    Been reloading the 7.7x58 for about 25 years. I'm using the RCBS dies with no problems to resize 30-06 and 270 for the round. RCBS has a great warranty service. I've also used 8x57 with no problems, the brass is just a little short but works well and is an easy conversion. I have a bunch of the Norma brass from way back when I first bought the rifle, it seems a little soft when compared to resized commercial 30-06 brass. Haven't tried the PPU brass for the Arisaka but PPU brass works well for my Mosin. Have fun, they are a blast to shoot.

Boolit Master
    Hornady makes good and available brass as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, all great replies. Curator, good idea with using the 303 British neck sizing die. I already load for my p14 and Lithgow #1mk3. so I do have a Rcbs neck die. Will take a look at the Hornady brass.

I have dies for most all military cartridges, and have had them for over 50 yrs. They are all Lyman or
    RCBS. When I was a kid loading was the only practical way to shoot 6.5 & 7.7 Jap. A box of Norma
    ammo approached the value of the rifle in those days. I don't think surplus ammo was ever available.
    It was dumped in the ocean. I have around 120 sets of dies and the bulk are Lyman & RCBS. I have a few C&H, Redding, Bonanza, Texan, Pacific and Herters. Never had any problem with any of these
    dies. You get what you pay for that's why I don't buy Lee or Hornady Dies. In my estimation they are
    second rate. I've had experiences with both and want no more. A die is a precision tool and will last
    generations if properly taken care of. Buy top shelf tools and you can't go wrong. Top quality dies can
    be picked up used for $20 maybe a little more for the off the wall cartridges. Lots of people load for
    Japs now that they are in "style", that shouldn't be hard to come up with a good used set in top shelf
    brand.

Boolit Master

curator
    THANK YOU, you just answered a question I nave been cogitating about all afternoon.
    I was considering a way to use only neck sizing die from something to reload the 7.7X58.
    Mine are tight enough I use .308 coated and the same 0.310 or 0.311 boolits I use in the aught six.
    Will the 303 British collet die size it enough to grip the 0.308?
    No more of those I shoot in a year I guess I could use the regular dies.

They warn against using 30-06 because the head will swell and get "weak.
    My Lee dies take them back to 0.473ish so using 7.7x58 brass may actually work the brass more.
    Hence why I want neck sizing only.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    There are 2 top die choices for the 7.7X58 Japanese round.
    RCBS dies can easily be found used at good prices or new if you prefer.
    Bonanza was an die making company in Minn. Their designs were bought by Forster. Today Forster does not produce dies in the 7.7X58 Japanese caliber. However Bonanza once did and with some patience you might be able to turn up a set of 7.7X58 dies complete with the excellent benchrest seater die.
    EDG

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    curator
    THANK YOU, you just answered a question I nave been cogitating about all afternoon.
    I was considering a way to use only neck sizing die from something to reload the 7.7X58.
    Mine are tight enough I use .308 coated and the same 0.310 or 0.311 boolits I use in the aught six.
    Will the 303 British collet die size it enough to grip the 0.308?
    No more of those I shoot in a year I guess I could use the regular dies.
    Lee can provide a second collet die mandrel for smaller diameter projectile.
    Or you can get a standard replacement and work it down with emery paper etc.
    The Lee collet dies are very useful.
    YMMV

Boolit Master

Curator and kywoodwrkr
    Thanks to both of you. That is the way I will go then!
    Probably both mandrells to start with.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I ended up buying an older set of Rcbs dies in very good condition on eBay. and ran 8x57 Mauser brass through the FL sizing die. Worked perfectly.