Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

Boolit Master

SWFA SS HD 5-20x50 Tactical 30mm Riflescope

If this ( https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-5-20x50-...iflescope.html ) is an excellent scope it will do everything desired off a rest or bench. Its cost only justifiable by the "buy once & cry once" mantra. it is too big/heavy for me to use comfortably without a rest.

Excellent optical quality provides pleasure in and off itself. This scope seems to deliver a scope/reticle I can enjoy learning into. I do not hunt.

It is a lot of money. My hope is to benefit from experience here to lower the risk of making a budget destroying mistake. Not looking to save a couple hundred dollars, but trying not to make a large mistake.

Second choice is a fixed power SWFA scope at a fraction of the cost.

Thanks for any comments or advice.
    Last edited by PB234; 10-28-2018 at 06:55 AM.

Boolit Master
    I have a fixed 10x mil/mil SWFA and have taken it passed 1000 on my 308 several times it's a great fixed power scope. Plan on getting another one for my current AR10 project.

If you're set on the SWFA wait until Black Friday they usually run a pretty good sale.

For the price of the SWFA look into a Burris XTR II or the Nightforce SHV. Or a used Vortex Razor HD.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    dk17hmr,

Thank you for your response. My thinking is to wait for Black Friday and order two scopes - the 10x fixed and the variable ultra light both from SWFA's line. They will cover my basis on two different types of rifles for far less cost than the SWFA variable previously considered. The ultra light will work fine on a light carbine and the 10x fixed will allow learning the reticle when attached to a full sized 223 bolt gun. Really two different applications.

Boolit Master
    Make sure the reticle matches the adjustment. Mil/mil or moa/moa. They offer I think a MOA/mil combo and that's going to be a head ache trying to learn. I prefer mil over moa anymore but both are great as long as the reticle and turret match.

I think those 10x scopes go on sale for $260 or something. Pick up a set of zero stop shims for $25 and you'll really like it.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    Doug,

Thanks, only question is do I waste about $100 for the side focus which I don't need but would like. Really looking forward to this scope.

Jeff

Boolit Master
    If you need the speed of a side focus over the ocular focus than it's not a waste. I don't need the speed with my 10x because it's mostly for hunting and blasting known distance steel.
    Doug

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I have to agree with Doug. For $300 you can't beat the 10x SWFA
    I use mine on a 6.5cm shooting steel targets out to 1250 with no issue.
    I will own another.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    For $1,500 I’d be shopping around other brands as well. $1,500 buys a lot of scope.

Boolit Master
    Love Life, $1,500 is well beyond my budget, but curious what you would be checking out at that price level.

Boolit Master
    I may have misread your post, but the linked scope is $1,499 on the SWFA page. Will you be using this scope for unknown distance shooting or bench work at known distance?

Boolit Master
    I am now focusing on two scopes for different applications on different rifles. One will likely be the SWFA Ultra Light variable as it should do everything I want and in a detachable mount be easily moveable between flat shooting CZ bolt rifles.

Mostly I shoot off a bench. With the carbines I want the flexibility a lighter kit provides.

The other is for off the bench at known ranges or by setting a target at an unknown range and trying to work it out. A goal is for me to learn how to use it for ranging targets at hitting them at different ranges. The SWFA 10X fixed should provide this learning opportunity especially when attached to a rifle with a rainbow trajectory. I am thinking of initially placing it on a 22LR to learn it and move it to a .223 bolt gun occasionally.

A good portion of my enjoyment is learning how to use equipment. Another part is the enjoyment of just looking through good optics. Hitting the target obviously important.

Thank you for your attention.

Boolit Master
    I believe between those two scopes that your bases will be covered. Do you have a spotting scope? As you push the distance out, seeing the holes in paper will become an issue.

As for the side focus, I’d pay the extra for it. I really prefer it over the front focus.

The benefit of the 10x fixed is not having to worry about what power your scope is on to use the mil dots. That is just something to keep in mind with SFP scopes.

I’d say you have found the scopes you need. I thought you were looking in a different budget bracket, but your choices are good ones.

Boolit Master
    Love Life,

Thank you for your time and help. I have the spotting scope covered. If my uses and capabilities develop so that a better scope becomes a reasonable tool to save for it will be acquired.