Inline FabricationRotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So tell I’m paranoid

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Sheesh View Post
    You are talking like overkill isn't a good idea, there? Heresy! :P
    Not me, them, I’m all about overkill!
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    I think that epithet originated with the late Jeff Cooper, did it not?
    Correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I am in the process of getting a Springfield Armory XDM in 9mm. I am getting the full size pistol but smaller versions are available. I am not certain, but I believe the full size mags will fit in the compact versions so they would work as high capacity spare mags. Full size mag capacity is 19 rounds.
    Right now Springfield has a promotion where you can get three extra mags and a small range bag free with the purchase of a new pistol.
    These pistols shoot extremely well and are pretty much foolproof.
    I have one in 45acp and I can't seem to make it have a failure--yet. Give me time and I am sure I can get something in there that won't feed right.
    Springfield had a video of one of these in 10mm taking an endurance test of 10,000 rounds over the course of 2 days. All of the shots are on the video. No breakage, no failures, no malfunctions. If this pistol can take 10,000 rounds of 10mm, it can take 9mm or 45acp forever.
    Yes, the XDM is on the short list for sure! You are also correct on the compact being able to use the full sized mags.
    Problem is I’ll have to sell the LCR to finance it, that’s why I’m looking into “budget” guns for the moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Minuteshaver View Post
    well one can always go with the shock and awe approach on felons.. ma1 16 inch barrel loaded down with 180 grain jsp. when felon once has 3 inch exit holes blossoming all over them, other felons will either run or surrender.

or to quote an episode of nypb blue, "no one plays dumb (*^%$U when they got a 44 magnum in dere face"
    My son actually suggested I get a P90 the other day, I think I’m training him well lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    sawinredneck - OK

tazman - I'd expect eventually you'd have to replace the sear and/or hammer, had to do that on one 1911. But 10mm times 10k rounds sure shows that that gun's RUGGED! Other than the wear items, yeppers, would expect it'd last a LONG time.

And IDK on the P90, I like an AR10 or other 308 more than a smaller round, I'd rather it only take 1 round to ruin someone's life if they're trying to poke holes in my precious pelt. Rather not have ANY problems even more, sure, but I don't get to choose others' behavior. (So far so good tho)

Not to bash the springfield 10mm XDm. It is very high on my to get list. I love XDm's. BUT...before reading too much into the 10,000 round torture test, realize one thing. Those were hydrashocks. They are loaded to 40 s&w power levels. I've put close to 10k hot 40's through a XDm 40 with no problems. The 10mm is built on the 45 frame. BUT those were NOT 10k 10mm full power loads.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Not to bash the springfield 10mm XDm. It is very high on my to get list. I love XDm's. BUT...before reading too much into the 10,000 round torture test, realize one thing. Those were hydrashocks. They are loaded to 40 s&w power levels. I've put close to 10k hot 40's through a XDm 40 with no problems. The 10mm is built on the 45 frame. BUT those were NOT 10k 10mm full power loads.
    I just checked the specs from Federal's web site and you are correct. There is little difference between the 40S&W loads and the 10mm loads that were actually used. Still, 10,000 rounds without a failure for any gun is remarkable and a testament to the durability and reliability of the pistol.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I don't think you are paranoid.

I have always been very comfortable in carrying a 5 shot revolver - usually a Smith 36 J frame. But as the song goes, "the times they are a changing". Everyone hopes that they will never be in a position where they have to use their CC weapon - and the chances are great that you never will have to which is great. BUT . . . . .

I had a situation at our home several years ago - we lived out in th country fairly remote - I was in the basement and 2 heroin addicts were about ready to break in to the house - they were arrested two days later for doing B & Es in three counties. Had the dogs not barked and I gone upstairs, if they had broken in I could easily have been overpowered and even possibly killed. After talking with the township PD chief (who knows I am licensed in MI and AZ) - he seriously told me that I should probably even carry in the house if alone as these types of situations were on the uprise. He asked what I carried, I showed him and his suggestion was to switch to a higher capacity carry gun. I did - a 9mm Shield. I like it and usually carry a spare mag as well.

I think it also depends on where you are and where you are going. We are about 40 miles north of the border out here in AZ - I always carry the semi and spare mags - but - with what is going on now with the constant influx of illegals and sometimes being out on roads that are less traveled, I'm looking at going to a double stack mag and even increasing the caliber.

If you have a license to carry - carry what makes you feel comfortable and forget about what others think. The chances are great that you will never need it, but if you need it, it's better to have it than not have it. I've seen too much when I worked ambulance and fire rescue as well as several things that have occurred to me over the years and I refuse to be a victim or any of my family be a victim if it could possibly be prevented. That's not being paranoid . . . that's being sensible and prepared if needed.

My boy was out of school today so we hit a few shops and handled a few guns. It was interesting...
    The BIG gun store was closed, I guess they defaulted on $6.5 million, it’s those little details!
    One store had the Diamondback so I had to try it! Even the clerk shook his head and gave me a dirty look when I asked to see it! “Don’t buy this gun, there’s better choices than this!” Lol! It’s too **** small, the trigger sucks, yeah, it’s just off the list!
    I had two guys try to push me towards the PT-111, and two tell me not to touch one! The two against really pushed the S&W shield, no love.
    Right now Academy has the Springfield XD9 Mod 2 3” (in FDE, tan) on sale for $380 right now. It really felt good, pointed good and had a decent trigger. 13rd and 16rd mags, plus Springfield has a deal on three more mags and a range bag right now to sweeten the deal. It’s a little smaller than I planned, both good and bad, but with the FS mag in it I think it’d be decent for range use.
    I’ve got some feelers out on my LCR, I’ll see what that brings but I’m not forcing it.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    My dad used to have a gun shop that he sold and moved all the leftover stock into his giant workshop. About a year ago, he gave me all his leftover 10mm HydraShock ammo; about 6 boxes.

The only factory 10mm ammo I have ever fired in my G29 were some HSM "bear loads" with 200gr hard cast going over 1040fps.

My stepdad and I went to our range at the cabin and I let him shoot the mighty 10mm with the hydrashocks. He was disappointed. He was expecting something substantial.

Then I loaded up my big medicine loads using 190gr hard cast. He was impressed.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    Call it fatalism, call it Bushido, call it military reality. . .Time is the real problem here. I'm of the mindset that if you haven't solved the immediate problem - that probably took you by surprise in the first place - in the time it takes to go through 8 rounds or less of onboard capacity, then you have probably been flanked and destroyed. You may survive that initial engagement and have time to top off to repel another wave; but you can only engage one target at a time, yet you can be engaged by multiple targets at the same time - be it with bullets, knives, or fists. I'd be putting more emphasis on marksmanship skill and the good sense to remain mobile or use cover than handgun capacity, but the hard fact is that 300 prepared Spartan professionals failed to hold Thermopylae against 100,000+ Persians, and the U.S. Navy got clobbered at Pearl Harbor because they didn't see it coming. There's nothing inherently wrong with capacity - it just doesn't seem as thick and warm a security blanket (for the CCW arena) to me as it does to others. Pretty much what you have going for you is that the other guy starts his shenanigans without knowing that you're armed. It can play out a lot of different ways after he figures that out, but running out of rounds isn't at the top of my "possible bad outcomes" list. YMMV.
    Very well stated.

Boolit Master
    [QUOTE=El Bibliotecario;4488611]
    Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Many years ago I was with a group Scuba Diving in the "Blue Hole" in Santa Rosa New Mexico.../QUOTE]

I have been through Santa Rosa dozens of times but was not aware there was a 'Blue Hole.' Good to know in the event one needs to dispose of a few gangbangers.

Returning back up the garden path to the original post, my first thought was, why not the on-hand Colt Govt Model in 10mm? I think this cartridge is the caterpillar's spats, but my experience is limited to use in a revolver. If the round's recoil in a self loading pistol is an issue for combat shooting, I would consider hand loading .40 S&W level loads--I understand that round is a popular choice for defense.

I concur with those who emphasize mental preparedness. I suspect this is 90% of the issue, whereas shootists are prone to spend 90% of their time dithering about the perfect weapon.
    The blue hole is a neat place. I've been there a couple of times.

I also have a Springfield XDE 3.3 in 9mm. I like it and it shoots well enough. I really don't think it would suit you though. It is single stack. The largest mag only holds 9 rounds. If you are looking for capacity, this will not work for you. I bought it for a carry gun in social circumstances when I really need the gun to be invisible.
    I can easily hold the 10 ring on a B27 silhouette at 10 yards. A person who was a good shot could do much better.
    I mention the accuracy to give you some idea what the 3.3 barrel is capable of.

Boolit Master

I also have a Springfield XDE 3.3 in 9mm. I like it and it shoots well enough. I really don't think it would suit you though. It is single stack. The largest mag only holds 9 rounds. If you are looking for capacity, this will not work for you. I bought it for a carry gun in social circumstances when I really need the gun to be invisible.
    I can easily hold the 10 ring on a B27 silhouette at 10 yards. A person who was a good shot could do much better.
    I mention the accuracy to give you some idea what the 3.3 barrel is capable of.
    This past Sunday I took my XD. 40, also a 3.3" barrel, out for a spin. It was ringing steel, many in the center reactive area, at 25-30 yards, easily.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    This past Sunday I took my XD. 40, also a 3.3" barrel, out for a spin. It was ringing steel, many in the center reactive area, at 25-30 yards, easily.
    My little XDS 40 is one of my most accurate handguns, oddly enough. Despite the heavier trigger and short sight radius, it does a sub-2" group at 25yds every time I take it out...

Attachment 229727
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

There may be a shooting range and gun shop near you that rents firearms for tryouts. Quite often, they will have the short barreled Springfield XD series pistols for rent.
    If you get a chance, trying one out would be a good idea.

There may be a shooting range and gun shop near you that rents firearms for tryouts. Quite often, they will have the short barreled Springfield XD series pistols for rent.
    If you get a chance, trying one out would be a good idea.
    No love, I checked today.

Now that is a piece of bad news. I had hoped there would be somewhere you could try one out.
    You might ask around for someone who has a 3.3 inch Springfield. They might be willing to meet you somewhere and let you shoot it.

Now that is a piece of bad news. I had hoped there would be somewhere you could try one out.
    You might ask around for someone who has a 3.3 inch Springfield. They might be willing to meet you somewhere and let you shoot it.
    It’s all good, not getting any hits on the LCR so it’s looking like it wasn’t meant to be anyway.

Boolit Master
    PM me with info about your LCR. I might be interested in another.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    PM me with info about your LCR. I might be interested in another.
    PM’d, let me know if I’m being ignorant.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    PM’d, let me know if I’m being ignorant.
    PM returned & no you are not ignorant. IMO, You are not out of line with what you are asking.

Now, back to the regular programming.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    PM returned & no you are not ignorant. IMO, You are not out of line with what you are asking.

Now, back to the regular programming.
    Clear out your pm’s! I’ll give you my email, easier to send pics for me.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast