RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So tell I’m paranoid

A wise man once said " you can never have too big a gun or too much ammo".
    The 3 people a man must be able to trust completely are his gunsmith his doctor & his preacher ..,his gunsmith for his short term health ,his doctor for long term health ,and his preacher incase one of the others mess up.

I pack a XDm 40, 16+1 with spare mag, and am seriously thinking about a second spare mag. And an AR with several spare mags in my vehicle. Not sure what is going to come about, but I feel it is not good.

Boolit Grand Master

I too have often thought about keeping my Sig AR “Pistol” in the daily driver but I have concerns with it being hidden and away from smash and grabs and also little hands with my kids. So I just carry, typically, my XDS in 45, or 1911 Commander now that it’s cooler outside with spare mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Plate plinker View Post
    Just get another LCR and carry one on the ankle. New York reload?
    I just don’t have the funding, I could scrape up $200 for the SCCY with some effort, but to afford a better gun, I’d need to sell the LCR to fund it.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I don’t think you are under gunned with the lcr and a speed loader. Especially if you’re proficient with it.

XDM in 45 ACP 13+1 of “I don’t feel like reloading yet.” Problem solved or Beretta 92 17+1 of “I think I left my spare mag in the car” your choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=MUSTANG;4487862]Many years ago I was with a group Scuba Diving in the "Blue Hole" in Santa Rosa New Mexico.../QUOTE]

I have been through Santa Rosa dozens of times but was not aware there was a 'Blue Hole.' Good to know in the event one needs to dispose of a few gangbangers.

Returning back up the garden path to the original post, my first thought was, why not the on-hand Colt Govt Model in 10mm? I think this cartridge is the caterpillar's spats, but my experience is limited to use in a revolver. If the round's recoil in a self loading pistol is an issue for combat shooting, I would consider hand loading .40 S&W level loads--I understand that round is a popular choice for defense.

I concur with those who emphasize mental preparedness. I suspect this is 90% of the issue, whereas shootists are prone to spend 90% of their time dithering about the perfect weapon.

The Colt does get carried when I assume I might need it, a good holster helps, Galco king tuck. I love the 10mm cartridge, but I’m not nearly as accurate with it as I am with the LCR, it’s BIG and it’s really HEAVY! Really heavy! It’s so much nicer to carry around the LCR. My dream is something around the weight of the LCR with double the capacity of the Colt, big dream, I know.
    I really liked the size and weight of the G19 so something that size, that I can shoot, would be fine.
    I looked at the XDM online, interesting gun with some well thought out features, I need to see one in person for sure, but I think it’s on the short list now.
    I’ve thought about the baby Glock in 10mm, but after handing it, meh, it’s just too small for me, so the baby Glocks are out.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Master
    I would like to find a lockable metal gun box that is about 18 inches long, 10 inches wide and four or so inches deep to put under a car seat. So far I haven't come across something like that. I was thinking of putting a Kel Tec sub 2000 under the seat. I am considering going to a metals shop and see if someone could bend up one out of sheet metal for me too.
    Last edited by Earlwb; 10-29-2018 at 09:24 AM. Reason: typo

And then I talked to a buddy of mine about it, his response shows how much of a caliber snob I’ve become!

All off the shelf defense loads perform pretty much the same now days
    Unless your talking 10 mm or magnums with lite weight bullets.

,u want advice get a gun in a caliber thats cheap to shoot

A gun in a caliber that doesn't get shot much because of expense or it uses to much lead to cast a lot bullets is worthles

Im not the person to get advice from regarding caliber

If it comes out of the barrel ¿ 950 fps or more & weighs 125 grains or more
    I simply don't care what caliber it is regarding handguns for defense.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I really liked the size and weight of the G19 so something that size, that I can shoot, would be fine.

I’ve thought about the baby Glock in 10mm, but after handing it, meh, it’s just too small for me, so the baby Glocks are out.
    I don't understand how the G29 was too small but the G19 is perfect. I owned both and they are pretty much the same size. The G29 with a 4.5" KKM 10mm barrel is my woods gun and it is perfect.

Perhaps you handled a G27 or G26. Those are "baby Glocks".

G29 on the left and G19 on the right...

Attachment 229563
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

As far as the thread goes; I'm probably the least paranoid CCWer I know, and even I didn't like the idea of only 6 rounds of .40 S&W as my daily carry piece, so I upgraded to the S&W M&P40c with 10 rounds of .40 S&W...

Attachment 229564
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    I just don’t have the funding, I could scrape up $200 for the SCCY with some effort, but to afford a better gun, I’d need to sell the LCR to fund it.
    On the topic of "what to spend on your defensive weaponry", I once had it put to me by a grizzled old cop in these terms:

"Put your right hand in your back pocket. OK. Now put your left hand in your other back pocket. Now grab a big handful and tell me what that's worth to you"

I'm not here to tell you to take out a second mortgage to buy a Les Baer, but you do probably want to consider that you are, essentially, investing in a parachute. Think carefully about what you're willing to jump out of the plane with.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I don't understand how the G29 was too small but the G19 is perfect. I owned both and they are pretty much the same size. The G29 with a 4.5" KKM 10mm barrel is my woods gun and it is perfect.

Perhaps you handled a G27 or G26. Those are "baby Glocks".

G29 on the left and G19 on the right...

Attachment 229563
    Well color me ignorant! I stand corrected, thank you! It’s listed as “sub-compact” and I guess the thicker slide gives the illusion that it’s smaller than it really is. I’ll have to handle one, if not shoot it, to see if the grip fits my hand better.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigslug View Post
    On the topic of "what to spend on your defensive weaponry", I once had it put to me by a grizzled old cop in these terms:

"Put your right hand in your back pocket. OK. Now put your left hand in your other back pocket. Now grab a big handful and tell me what that's worth to you"

I'm not here to tell you to take out a second mortgage to buy a Les Baer, but you do probably want to consider that you are, essentially, investing in a parachute. Think carefully about what you're willing to jump out of the plane with.
    Oddly enough, those silly SCCY pistols have great reviews and have survived numerous tourture tests very well! For a cheap gun, they are very impressive, a few of my friends have them.
    To buy something nicer I’ll have to part with the LCR to fund that purchase, that was my point there.

Boolit Master
    Please define, "SCCY". I am not familiar with that acronym.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    Please define, "SCCY". I am not familiar with that acronym.
    That isn't an acronym. That is the name of the manufacturer of a line of handguns.
    https://www.sccy.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That isn't an acronym. That is the name of the manufacturer of a line of handguns.
    https://www.sccy.com/
    Thankya!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Sorry about that.

1 mile from chickahominy river ( swamp) central va
    being on a fixed budget i can fully understand looking for less expensive protection . it amazes me how people are so down on a gun simply because of price. as long as it goes bang every time you pull the trigger and is unreasonably accurate. what else do you need. i see reviews on guns and they have no failures and are accurate enough but then they say but i would not recommend them. i just don't get it. i do have some really nice guns i bought while i still worked. but now to purchase a new gun takes some saving and shopping for the best deal. a sccy is a descent gun that i would have no problem carrying. back to the post i carry two speed loaders or an extra clip depending on what i am carrying. if that ain't enough then i am in way over my head anyway.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast