Inline FabricationLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: So tell I’m paranoid

So tell I’m paranoid

I’ve been giving serious pause about my CCW choices lately, with our toxic political environment being as it is, and “group mentality” seeming to run rampant, I’m really wondering if I’m well enough armed!
    Currently my two choices are a Ruger LCR in .357mag, five shots, or a Colt Delta Elite, eight shots of 10mm.
    It wasn’t that long ago I was preaching “If I need more than five shots, I shouldn’t have been there to start with!” But things have rapidly changed, and I’m not sure I feel that secure with five rounds anymore!
    The Delta Elite isn’t going anywhere! Those are just too hard to find! This will be a swap on the LCR with cash either way, or I’ll just buy a SCCY and keep all three dealing with my misgivings of the 9mm.
    So someone please talk sense to me! Am I watching too much news, need to chill out, or are my “spidey senses” something I need to listen to?
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    I am in somewhat the same dilemma. My primary carry is a S&W Chief in 38 special (5 shots). Four extra speed loaders gives me a total of 25 shots on the belt. Easy to carry. I need to order a set of sights for my Series 70 1911 (45acp - thanks for the reminder).
    A recent acquaintance, of vast practical knowledge, told me that a handgun is what you use to get to your rifle. Driving into New Orleans every day, I need to figure out a practical way to keep my AR in my vehicle.
    As far as the need to chill out or listen more closely to the "spidey senses", I know I would rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it.
    Which one to carry? I like a revolver. You pull the trigger - it goes bang. If it doesn't go bang, pull the trigger again. An autoloader can jam about 5 different ways, but no doubt you already know that.

I started carrying a BHP as I felt my compact 1911 (with 7 round mags) wasn't enough just in case. The 9mm didn't bother me as I figure if I do my part it'll stop the bad guy(s). I have started carrying the 1911 again but with a second mag for a total of 15 rounds which still isn't a lot but better than a sharp stick. I keep thinking I need AR pistol in 300 BO for my car too (the whole group, get to a rifle thing). I live in small town Missouri and I'm more likely to win the lottery or be hit by lightning than I am to be assaulted by a gang of no-gooders but it makes feel safer. I guess I am paranoid but better to be safe than sorry.

Boolit Master
    There is no rule that says you may be attacked by only assailant. Wolves can easily travel in packs and there is no such thing as too much ammo.

Personally, the idea of fighting your way to your rifle is keyboard commando BS. I carry a rifle in my truck nearly all the time but it would get used for varmints seen from the truck and I live in the country. You need to be proficient enough with your pistol to handle most any situation as that situation will probably be far from access to your vehicle and rifle, particularly in the city. Defensively, in the city or even in the wide open spaces of the country side, a hand gun will suffice. A civilian is not taking on Omaha Beach. If faced by multiple attackers, you probably screwed up but when lead starts flying, thugs tend to find important business elsewhere.

For a civilian providing your own defense, a handgun with a quick reload will probably settle any situation that might arise where your use of deadly physical force can be justified. If there were self defense situations occurring where rifles and vast quantities of ammunition were required, one would hear about it through the American Rifleman or other legitimate news sites.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master

Many years ago I was with a group Scuba Diving in the "Blue Hole" in Santa Rosa New Mexico. We were camping in the near by Park. About 2:00AM in the morning 3 car loads of the local youth with the appearance of "Gang Bangers" pulled into the campground area with loud music, yelling, and carrying on. I got out of the tent and walked over to the area and told them there were quite a few people (probably somewhere in the neighborhood of 30) in the campground trying to sleep; could they go to another location and they could party and we could sleep. A couple started yelling at me and hurling verbal threats; when one pulled a knife, I had enough and pulled the Dan Wesson .357 I had in the small of my back and thumbed the hammer back. One yelled: "What you going to do with that, theres 14 of Us. I simply said: "Only 8 of you will be going home tonight if you make a move towards me or any other camper". They all backed up to their cars; talking trash and moved on never to be seen again.

1. If you are forced into a situation to defend yourself; you have to be prepared to make a stand with what you have. Your not going to be in a bunker with Unlimited Ammo.

2. Calm presentation of the facts, and that some will not be going home will dampen the spirit of most Mobs. It's only when they are allowed to get out of control and "Blood Runs Hot" do Mobs loot, damage property; and threaten life. This can be seen in the actions of Large Scale Mobs such as back in the Watts Riots and the Rodney King Riots when Calm but determined and armed shop keepers property was left alone by the mobs as the waves of looter/rioters flowed around them or backed off when confronted.

3. One must be prepared to defend oneself and others if confronted by a Mob; they can smell a bluff as if it were a pack of wolves able to define a "Victim" prey from a dangerous prey that will fight back.

4. What's the best firearm to have; Why - it's the one you have with you of course. I prefer a 1911 with a spare magazine but seem to only carry that with me in the woods or desert; I carry a Beretta .32 (no spare magazine anymore) because it fits in a back jeans pocket, slacks pocket, or coat pocket when I am out and about in "Civilized" areas - simply because I can do so in a CCW mode easily and always have it with me and little chance of anyone ever noticing.

My thoughts any way.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    For daily CCW I disagree that a handgun is what you need to get to a rifle. A handgun is what you use to stop an attack and/or exit the scene.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JSnover View Post
    For daily CCW I disagree that a handgun is what you need to get to a rifle. A handgun is what you use to stop an attack and/or exit the scene.
    I feel the same way if I need to go back to my truck I'm driving away as far as my CC goes I would like to be able to carry a G19 but a dubbel stack doesn't work for me I will stick with my p938 and 1911
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master
    Legally carry what you are comfortable with using accurately & efficiently, and use "situational awareness" to keep yourself out of any situations where you may be forced to use your firearm, and you will likely never need to use it. Nor find the need to "get to your rifle.".

IMO, most civilian, non LEO situations where you may need to even draw your firearm, do not even reach the point of a reload, let alone the emptying of the firearm. The whole reason for carrying or even having one is to "end the conflict" quickly, and not carry on a running gunfight. Use it to stop the threat & get your butt out of danger. If it is necessary to "get to your rifle" in most all situations for the "ave. joe or jill" , it is pretty likely that in the end it is not gonna matter what you were carrying, & you are in a very bad situation you likely could have avoided if that were to happen that there was a need for that "rifle". Like was said before, most "thugs" do not wish to continue a conflict when confronted & particularly when the loud bangs happen & deadly projectiles are flying around or into them.

IMO, Use it to stop the conflict &/or get away, not necessarily" get to your rifle"...

That said, I carry every day & rotate between Govt. model(5") 1911 .45SCP, a full size 9mm, with 1 extra mag for each, or a .38, or .357 with 2 extra speedloaders & strips, depending on clothing & other reasons. I also try to make it a point to avoid situations where there would be likely be a need to use any, but sometimes that choice will not be mine to make based on pure "luck of the draw", or Gods' will. So, I will continue to carry, but I want the "peace of mind" to have the ability to reload if I get the chance, and/or have the need for some reason. The extra mags/speedloaders are not that hard to carry & weigh very little in comparison to the possible need & I am carrying a heavier weight already with the particular handgun I chose to carry at the time.

G'Luck! with your decision & IMO, carry what you feel is necessary that makes ya have a bit of "peace of mind". It is your, or a loved ones life that might be on the line. Other opinions really are not gonna matter in the end. Yours does matter, to YOU.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

The handgun should suffice while out and away from home. It is a good idea to have at least one spare magazine or speed loader with you just in case. For the concern of a rifle or shotgun I would like one if I came home and some miscreants were stealing from my home or worse. Being firearms owners if word gets around that you own lots of guns you could become a target for theft. I know thats a long shot low percentage scenario but you just never know.

Boolit Grand Master

The one plus to using a wheel chair is I can carry a bigger firearm with out issues, Same with reloads. I purchased a setoff the dividers pockets for the armrest for mine and installed them on the inside of the seat area under the armrests. I know have 4 pockets 2 on the outside of the armrests and 2 inside. Being the same material and partially hidden when Im sitting they don't show. I can carry a full sized pistol or even 2 and or reloads as needed.

Boolit Master

Call it fatalism, call it Bushido, call it military reality. . .Time is the real problem here. I'm of the mindset that if you haven't solved the immediate problem - that probably took you by surprise in the first place - in the time it takes to go through 8 rounds or less of onboard capacity, then you have probably been flanked and destroyed. You may survive that initial engagement and have time to top off to repel another wave; but you can only engage one target at a time, yet you can be engaged by multiple targets at the same time - be it with bullets, knives, or fists. I'd be putting more emphasis on marksmanship skill and the good sense to remain mobile or use cover than handgun capacity, but the hard fact is that 300 prepared Spartan professionals failed to hold Thermopylae against 100,000+ Persians, and the U.S. Navy got clobbered at Pearl Harbor because they didn't see it coming. There's nothing inherently wrong with capacity - it just doesn't seem as thick and warm a security blanket (for the CCW arena) to me as it does to others. Pretty much what you have going for you is that the other guy starts his shenanigans without knowing that you're armed. It can play out a lot of different ways after he figures that out, but running out of rounds isn't at the top of my "possible bad outcomes" list. YMMV.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    If there are enough of "them" your multiple spare guns and Mags ain't going to make much of a difference. Too often, a focus on high capacity rather than on marksmanship leads to a "pray and spray" mentality that results in a lot of misses. Now it is true that, unless you fall in a river, more is better when you speak of ammo, what matters most is what is in the gun and your ability to send those projectiles where they will do the most good. It is not possible to miss fast or often enough to exceed the effectiveness of one hit.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Dang, and here I was feeling adequately armed with a good fixed blade. It’s amazing how people scatter when loud bangs start happening.

Interesting points.
    Per getting to rifle: unless I’m at home or defending property, I figure if I can get to a rifle I’ve got the means to escape the situation.
    Per mobility: I have none! I’m half crippled up and in and out of a wheelchair. Running, diving and ducking are not things I do well, or quickly. If confronted I’m basically stuck standing my ground.
    I’m most proficient with the LCR, I’m deadly accurate with that gun, the DE I’m taking torso shots. That’s why I mainly carry the LCR, and why I got rid of the G19, I just couldn’t shoot that lovely gun to save my life. So confidence does mean a lot to me.
    I guess I need to save my pennies up and go rent some guns to shoot if I do decide to change my carry gun.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Cash View Post
    Personally, the idea of fighting your way to your rifle is keyboard commando BS.
    My "acquaintances" are not technically civilians. I have not done a full background check, but given their business, they have "seen the elephant". They are in the business of training their customers in the use of arms. Given the choice, I will run like I have the demons of Hel on my heels. I'm no "keyboard commando". But I have lived 50+ years and survived in and around New Orleans where there is a significant criminal element, 99.99% of which will pass a possibly armed target. Possession and presence of a firearm on my person has prevented an assault on me on more than one occasion. No shots were fired. But the 1911 and the 10-22 in my hands prevented me and mine from coming into further harm.

Fifty plus years around NO? Hoss, you be pushing the odds.
    La Place was tough enough for me. But I did enjoy hitting the shuffle board tables in every little out of the way back water we could find. Never any trouble. Always gracious good folks happy for some fresh competition.
    Any more my idea of what to carry is myself down the road. Like the realtors say, "Location, location, location."
    But I am eyeballing those Charter Arms .45ACP revolvers.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    Fifty plus years around NO? Hoss, you be pushing the odds.
    La Place was tough enough for me.
    LOL I moved away from NO back in '06, not far (65 miles from NO CBD). Close enough to drive in to work, far enough to be 120+' above sea level.

sawinredneck--- To answer your question about being paranoid.-------My gunsmith prepares for what he considers to be a worst case scenario for a person doing concealed carry. He carries either a Glock 34 or the compact version that takes the same magazines. Sorry, but I can't remember the numbers since I don't own one.
    Anyway, he carries a lot of extra magazines in his car or truck console that will fit either gun and many of them are 30 round mags. Probably around 200 rounds worth.
    He spends quite a bit of time sitting in his vehicle, outside the mall, waiting for his wife to get done with her shopping. He figures if a group of shooters decide to infect the mall, he needs to be able to get his wife out. He uses 9mm for the extra rounds. He expects to be doing a lot of shooting to make the bad guys keep their heads down while he is locating and removing his wife from the scene.
    The man is a superb shot. If he were to run into the bad guys before he found his wife, some of them would be hurting, probably permanently.
    By his standards, you aren't paranoid enough.

Boolit Master

Just get another LCR and carry one on the ankle. New York reload?

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast