Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: So tell I’m paranoid

Boolit Grand Master

A handgun is used to not to "fight your way to your rifle" but to fight your way the heck out of there by any means necessary as fast as possible.

Keep your eyes and ears open. Not in a Rambo "Condition Red" way just situational awareness. Pay attention to what is going on around you. Large gangs of thugs, riots etc rarely come out of no-where. If you see signs of something like that, run the opposite direction as fast as possible. Avoid area's where miscreants congregate.

As for a firearm, revolver or pistol is a personnel choice. My wife and I carry both depending.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by sawinredneck View Post
    Not me, them, I’m all about overkill!

Correct.

Yes, the XDM is on the short list for sure! You are also correct on the compact being able to use the full sized mags.
    Problem is I’ll have to sell the LCR to finance it, that’s why I’m looking into “budget” guns for the moment.

My son actually suggested I get a P90 the other day, I think I’m training him well lol!
    https://www.cdnnsports.com/zenith-mc...l#.W9wLkNJKjrc
    Bought one of these a month or two ago. Things a tack driver and uses SW M&P holsters. If your looking to carry a full size double stack you could do a lot worse but it is a full sized large gun. I, like many here, have tried a bunch. Mostly I carry a Shield. Very nice pistol.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Last week I saw a banner on this site from Brownells selling 9mm Sig P320 subcompact for $399. No tax or shipping. Now I see the price has jumped a bit with a $50 gift card included. Haven't shot it yet. 12+ 1 and bought 15 round Compact mag that will fit nicely. Profile is larger than my Walther PPS (single stack), but looks and feels solid. I felt I needed a few more rounds since I don't carry extra mags.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Couple of days ago, I put some rounds through most of my bottom feeders. The guns included a Kimber Micro .380, Glock 42 .380, Glock 19 and 26 9mm, and Glock 22 .40. Distance was 25 feet. In my hands, the little Kimber was more accurate than all the others. At longer distance, the larger guns probably would have had an advantage, but up close and personal I feel well protected with it.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Sounds to me like Redneck needs to go to a gun show and coonfinger guns till his heart’s content. Then you will see that finding THE ONE is not the problem, but just choosing one from a half dozen or so good ones.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Groo here
    Many a good read here.
    Just remember, it is not so much what you have but how you use it.
    There is a big difference between WROL [without rule of law] and CYA [normal SD]
    In the first , the fight may be pushed to the end and the winner get all the "stuff".
    In the second, help could be on the way at any time so if "smash and grab" doesn't work, it is time to leave.
    A review of the area is in order.
    I go to a big town , the number of shells[in the gun] goes up [size of shell goes down]
    in the country, it goes the other way.
    Depending on what you can carry, [size ,weight kick,etc] a good CYA gun could be a Keltec PMR30 would be good.
    Light,lots of shots,noisy and easy to shoot, reports say a 22mag is like being hit with a club.[and you can hit them 3/4 times before they say ouch!]
    In the country you have Big Dogs, Moo Cows[they can be nasty] Him Moose, Mister Bear ETC. need more horse power.
    Then there is time of year, Leather jackets and carharts can be hard to get through, Tee shirts are almost not there...
    In the end , pack a gun or guns that you trust, ammo that feeds and fires as close to 100% as possible[ nothing is 100% so don't expect it and train]
    You have done the best you can.

Quote Originally Posted by LUBEDUDE View Post
    Sounds to me like Redneck needs to go to a gun show and coonfinger guns till his heart’s content. Then you will see that finding THE ONE is not the problem, but just choosing one from a half dozen or so good ones.
    Gun shows really tear me up anymore, used to never miss one, but after breaking my back..... I have to want something specific and focus looking for that item to go to one, then if I feel like it, I’ll play around.
    Recently I’ve found I can buy new guns at Academy for the same, or less, than the same gun used at the gun shows.
    I think I’m pretty settled on the Springfield’s right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper View Post
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Boolit Grand Master
    Most of my "carry gun" work these days gets handled by a bone-stock Glock 23 in 40 S&W. The "compact" Glock 19/23 platform does many things very well for a lot of folks in a lot of venues.

In the back-country (mountains or deserts) a S&W 686 x 4" goes along in place of the Glock. There is also a rifle of some kind behind the seat of the truck on most outdoors trips, brought along to hunt with or shoot with recreationally. Such a long arm can be pressed into service if goblins get stupid. The only times I am aware of where gangbangers jacked recreational shooters for their hardware were a couple incidents in the 1990s when a group of recreational shooters shot up all of their ammo, and were exiting a designated USFS shooting area. The name of that tune is "Don't Run Yourself Dry". As always, common sense goes a long way toward keeping you safe.

Situational awareness is VERY critical to keeping yourself safe in the world at large. Having a sidearm along DOES NOT equip you for late-night strolls through MacArthur Park in downtown Los Angeles. Avoidance of potential hazardous persons/places/things are far preferable to tempting fate. DON'T BE THERE when the mangy critters are out and about.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Burn View Post
    Last week I saw a banner on this site from Brownells selling 9mm Sig P320 subcompact for $399. No tax or shipping. Now I see the price has jumped a bit with a $50 gift card included. Haven't shot it yet. 12+ 1 and bought 15 round Compact mag that will fit nicely. Profile is larger than my Walther PPS (single stack), but looks and feels solid. I felt I needed a few more rounds since I don't carry extra mags.
    I very nearly jumped on that deal after fondling one at the gun shop. But, I just couldn't settle on 9mm. You'll have to let us know how you like it!
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

I keep at least keep one handgun in all of our vehicles (three) at all times, two revolvers and one hi-cap 9mm. It matters little to me which I would have to use because I'm comfortable with all of them. When I'm at home, out here in the country I'm always wearing a large caliber SA revolver because I'm far more likely to be in danger from a 2,000 lb. bull than a human, but I also wear it on trips to town.

When I go to one of the large cities a couple of hours from here or on long road trips I always take my big pickup wherein resides a rifle under the back seat; a Keltec SU16 with three spare magazines.

They're light, very compact, accurate, and AR magazines.

I completely agree with the idea of using a handgun only when a rifle is not readily available. It's MUCH easier to miss with a handgun than with a rifle, and this is coming from someone who's burned through almost a case of pistol primers in less than one year.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Master
    I carry 24/7 and live in a State with a very low crime rate. Usually I carry one of various pistols with a reload, if I’m going to go to the city I’ll carry my VP9 (15 +1 rounds of 9mm) with a reload and my XDs 9mm (7 +1 rounds) with an 8 round reload. Around the property or in the mountains I carry a .44 or 10mm.

If I’m traveling more than hour away from home an AR15 with three magazines is in the vehicle along with extra pistol ammo, a first aid kit and other gear.

IMHO You aren’t paranoid if you recognize that there are evil people and nations that would love to take everything you have. If I was the OP I’d carry the LCR around the house but wouldn’t hesitate to carry the Delta with a couple extra magazines everywhere else. You don’t need a rifle when you’re carrying a 10mm.
    Last edited by Rick R; 11-03-2018 at 12:23 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I keep at least keep one handgun in all of our vehicles (three) at all times, two revolvers and one hi-cap 9mm. It matters little to me which I would have to use because I'm comfortable with all of them. When I'm at home, out here in the country I'm always wearing a large caliber SA revolver because I'm far more likely to be in danger from a 2,000 lb. bull than a human, but I also wear it on trips to town.

When I go to one of the large cities a couple of hours from here or on long road trips I always take my big pickup wherein resides a rifle under the back seat; a Keltec SU16 with three spare magazines.

They're light, very compact, accurate, and AR magazines.

I completely agree with the idea of using a handgun only when a rifle is not readily available. It's MUCH easier to miss with a handgun than with a rifle, and this is coming from someone who's burned through almost a case of pistol primers in less than one year.

35W
    Myself and the rest of us that live in Washington state will find out next week if we will be able to legally keep firearms in our vehicles. The new proposition on the ballot will make defending yourself while driving illegal... Unless of course you have a safe installed in your vehicle.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Wichita and Derby KS pulled that back in the ‘90’s, gun in one locked compartment, ammo in another locked compartment, had to stop drive-by-shootings you know. The state made open carry legal, the concealed carry legal the next year. You can get a CCW if you want to carry to states that reciprocate, but we are not required to do so in the state.
    Oxymoron, but the smartest thing I’ve seen politians do!
    As for carrying the Delta Elite, I’m half afraid to carry that gun anymore! Prices on them have become so ignorant there’s no way I could afford to replace it! I’m feeling like a hypocrite after all those years mocking my father for owning cars he was afraid to drive because something might happen to them, and here I am afraid to carry a handgun because I can’t afford to replace it.
    Irish Proverb: Never approach a Bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or an Idiot from any direction!

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    I very nearly jumped on that deal after fondling one at the gun shop. But, I just couldn't settle on 9mm. You'll have to let us know how you like it!
    It's now my favorite pistol. Great trigger. I have to re-qualify for CC and this will be in my hand.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The meetings will continue until we find out why we can't get anything done around here. NRA Life Member, Illinois State Rifle Assoc., Chillicothe Sportsmans Club.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Powder Burn View Post
    It's now my favorite pistol. Great trigger. I have to re-qualify for CC and this will be in my hand.
    Good to hear! If I could only get over my lack of confidence in 9mm, I would have ordered one.

Got LCR sold and it took a lot of effort, but Academy finally got the Springfield in, picked it up this am. Not much bigger than the LCR, but 14rds on board makes me feel a little better.
    Sent in my redemption for the three extra mags and range bag, considering ordering another 13rd mag, I think it’ll be easier to carry than the 16.
    Picked up some Monarch 124grn jhps and 100rds of 115grn Ball to break it in a check function with, still not sure on my carry ammo yet. Also found a Crossbreed holster locally, pretty comfy!
    So far I like it.

Springfield has been very good about getting the extra mags back to people pretty quickly. I picked up my new XDM last Friday and my mags and bag are on the way to me already.
    Mine have been extremely reliable with any ammo I run through them. I have the full size XDM models.

Boy and I just got back from an indoor range, it’s frigging cold out! Got a 5” group from both mags, I kept pulling to the left for whatever reason? Put 100rds through it, I’m impressed and happy so far.

Boolit Master
    Got LCR sold and it took a lot of effort, but Academy finally got the Springfield in, picked it up this am. Not much bigger than the LCR, but 14rds on board makes me feel a little better.
    Sent in my redemption for the three extra mags and range bag, considering ordering another 13rd mag, I think it’ll be easier to carry than the 16.
    Picked up some Monarch 124grn jhps and 100rds of 115grn Ball to break it in a check function with, still not sure on my carry ammo yet. Also found a Crossbreed holster locally, pretty comfy!
    So far I like it.
    Glad to hear ya found a buyer. I just could not swing the deal fast... Someone got a great deal.

Hope you are happier with the new pistol.

Boy and I just got back from an indoor range, it’s frigging cold out! Got a 5” group from both mags, I kept pulling to the left for whatever reason? Put 100rds through it, I’m impressed and happy so far.

ETA: Have a look below... Maybe it will help...

Last edited by JBinMN; 11-09-2018 at 08:06 PM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

As far as pulling to the left, those sights are drift adjustable and can be moved.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast