MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything

Thread: WTB heeled bullet mold for 32-20

Boolit Bub

WTB heeled bullet mold for 32-20

i need a heeled mold for 32-20 around 100 grains anything 85 to 110 pistol will not chamber rounds loaded with non heeled bullets.
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    What is your pistol or revolver, just curious.

I have both Colts and S&Ws and they handle Accurate 31-105T with no issues as-cast and unsized.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I don't see any heeled 30 caliber boolits on the Ol' Buffalo Bullet Mold Tables.
    I only see two heeled boolits and both are .357 (357511 & 357512).

You will have more luck if you can identify a maker and mould number.

I did a little browsing and I came up with this:

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/prod...e-cavity-mould

.32 90 grain heel bullet .311 dia Double cavity mould $105.00

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rs=w_600,h_600.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	229470

It also looks like you might need to buy a special set of dies to crimp the heeled boolits. Old West Bullet Moulds sells them.

I am curious what firearm you need a heeled boolit for. I intend to load for a Husqvarna 32-20.

Boolit Master

To my knowledge, 32-20 never used a heeled bullet and my two rifles go back to 1889. What pistol do you have that seems to require it?
    God Bless America
    US Army, NRA Patron, TSRA Life
    SASS, Ruger & Marlin accumulator

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    A heeled boolit in a 32-20? More info on you pistol and situation may bring some helpful advice on what way to go. My initial thoughts when you say your pistol won't chamber non heeled boolits is that your bore size is larger than your cylinder throats and thus you need a heeled bullet to expand to bore size. I would be looking at a throat job and possible a mold made by Accurate that will drop a correct size for your bore that you can still get in the brass and throats once they were opened up. Unless I'm not understanding why your problem is?

Boolit Man
    Do you have a Matini Cadet chambered for a 32-20? This was sort of an odd ball and no 32-20 ammo created in the early 20th century was every made as a heeled bullet. My suggestion is to eaither rechamber the barrel to accept a SAAMI 32-20 round OR have someone like Accurate molds make a mold to your specification.

Boolit Bub
    I am using an RCBS 310-120 mold for my 310 cadet. It is a little heavier than you are looking for at 120 grn, but casts and works well for me. I am using 32-20 brass and "converting" (shortening case and thinning rim) to .310 cadet. RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 310-120-RN 310 Cadet (310 Diameter) 120 Grain Round Nose. Midway USA has them for $80. This might be what you are looking for...

Boolit Master
    What diameter are you sizing the bullets to? I am not aware of any heeled bullet specific to the 32/20. I have a Remington 25 and Win 92 rifles, also SW & Colt pistols in that caliber and haven't had any problems. RCBS 32-098, Lyman 3118, and a bunch of others that I can't remember have all been fine. If your cases are full length sized, most any reasonable diameter bullet should chamber OK. I think Wilson makes a case gage that would show if your reloads are in spec. If your cases were fired in a different gun, the shoulder could have been blown out a bit. Do the unloaded cases chamber in your gun?

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    OP has never responded as to what "pistol" he is using these in. Are we sure it is even a .32-20 or is it something else?

I've never heard of a .32-20 which needed a heeled bullet. Something here doesn't add up.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    Sometimes we need special things for special guns. I have a revolver in 32 S&W long that has a .312 barrel and .321 throats. .321 boolits loaded in a 32 S&W case won't fit in the cylinders but a .321 heeled bullet works fairly well. I made a die for my Swag-o-Matic that makes a 50bmg primer and a 257420 boolit into an 85gr 3/4 jacket heeled SWC. Some times you have to do things a bit different than normal. It would be interesting to know what the OPs issue is. I'm wondering if he has a Nagant pistol and 32/20 brass????

Boolit Bub
    the revolver is a colt army special. if you take apart an old 32-20 round the bullet slips into the case and the brass is even with the bullet like a 22 round .
    give me a tall ship and a star to steer her by for i intend to go in harms way

torpedoman,
    How big does the larger diameter portion of your boolit need to be?
    And how big of diameter the heel?
    There's bound to be something that's finagle-able to make it work!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by torpedoman View Post
    the revolver is a colt army special. if you take apart an old 32-20 round the bullet slips into the case and the brass is even with the bullet like a 22 round .
    Is that ammo that came with the gun like that? because none of my vintage 32-20 ammo is constructed in such a fashion.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

North Central Montana; across the wide Missouri
    I cast, load and shoot 2 Colt AS revolvers in 32-20. I use Ideal 3118 and it is a direct copy of the original Winchester bullet that dropped from the Winchester Molds that were offered with the '73 Winchesters. I've been casting, loading 32-20 for Colts since 1956 and I've never experienced anything like you describe.

I have a mould from Bernie at Olde West Bullet Moulds like the one in the picture. The only problem is it also has a cavity cut for 41 Colt so I can't get rid of it. I'll cast some and send them to you if you need it.

Boolit Grand Master

You really need to post this problem over in the Revolver and Handgun section so we can get to the bottom of what you have and need. Pictures would help.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

32-20 or rather 32 wcf was never and has never been loaded, by any factory, as a heeled round. It post dates heel base ammo and was designed for the “new fangeled” inside lubed bullets. The OP either has a 32 Colt or someone has reamed the chambers on something chambered in that caliber. The 32-20 OAL is 1.592 and is a bunch longer than any heeled 32 cartridge of the period. So any handgun in 32 would have a cylinder too short except maybe a colt Navy 1889 or a S&W hand ejector and they were both produced for inside lubed ammo in 32 caliber......
    There are some single shot rifles in 32 rimfire (used a heeled bullet) that could have been reamed to 32-20.
    AKA: Hoof Hearted
    AKA: Buckoff

The OP hasn't been back on the forum since Nov. 8, 2018, so I'm going to close this thread. It's evolved into a discussion thread, anyway.....
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.