Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Need a little help with Crossman Air Pistol

Need a little help with Crossman Air Pistol

A couple of years ago, my beloved wife bought me for Xmas a Crossman 1377 air pistol; variable pump kind that has been around forever. I have been shooting it in the basement range, and lately found it to be extremely stiff to pump. I checked it over, and did not think it was a linkage problem on the pump arm, so the piston was the only reasonable part left. I figured out how to disassemble it by driving out the roll pin that holds the pump arm and front sight assembly to the front of the pistol. Got the piston out, and the seal cup was cruddy with some type of rubbery powder. I cleaned off the cup and inside the cylinder with brake cleaner, and all seemed well. Then I started reassembling the gun.....

It turns out that the roll pin from the factory is so tight it has no spring at all, and is more like a piece of drill rod. The plastic sight assembly slides around, and the pressure that it takes to drive in the pin knocks the sight out of alignment. I can get the pin through the holes on one side, but when it hits the opposite side, it is hitting the hole off-center. I thought of a couple of possible fixes:
    1. use a slightly smaller roll pin, or at least one that has some spring in it so it will compress.
    2. Use a solid taper pin
    3. Make a tapered pilot, like a clutch line-up tool, that will line things up, then be driven out of the way by the advancing roll pin.
    4. Grind a slight chamfer on the factory roll pin and reinstall.

I don't want to introduce any looseness to the assembly. What would anyone recommend? Thanks.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

First time I took mine down like that, I had to brace the air cylinder really hard against something to get the pin back in. Had to hammer it much harder than I thought should be necessary, but the holes were lined up and I eventually got it back in.

I went to the “air werks” site and ordered a solid steel pin that screws tight to the cylinder.... no more loose sights or problems since then.
    I did have to ream the offside hole just a bit to get the steel pin to go through it as there was a bit of a small burr on the inside of that hole.
    I really like the steel pins much better than the roll pin that comes on the gun.

You might could polish that hole a bit with an undersized drill bit and a bit of sandpaper? I wouldn’t try to open it up, but just polish in case off a burr.
    I think the steel pins with the screws like I bought for mine are like $10.00 plus shipping if I remember right....really worth it in my opinion.

Thanks, 35 Shooter. I had a feeling that aftermarket parts would fix this one.

Wayne

Boolit Buddy

Wayne

Here is another site that has good info on your Crosman pistol.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA....php?board=4.0

HTH,

Tia,
    Don

Thanks, NV. I went ahead and ordered the replacement pin recommended by 35 Shooter. Keeping my fingers crossed. Also, I finally read the owner's manual, and it actually says to oil the pump cup a little, which I thought was verboten with air guns. That's probably why it got hard to pump in the first place.

Wayne

On my 1377, the front sight had a lot of wiggle and wanted to lean to the left. I tried shimming it, but that was a temporary fix. It would always work loose again over time.
    I tried the steel pins with screws from Airwerks, and it has held tight in place ever since. I’ve probably run 3500 to 4000 pellets through it since then.

Boolit Buddy

Cool

WARNING: A Crossman 1377 (and others like) can be black hole for your wallet! As others suggested, get the aftermarket pin set. I did reuse the the roll pin for awhile but it does wear on the pump arm. A slight chamfer does help on reuse, as does using a punch for alignment. The aftermarket pin is so much easier! Oh, and get the stock, it makes it fun to shoot with a red dot or scope! I am currently wanting a 1322. The CO2 does get spendy for the 2240, but the wife like to shoot it. AND do oil, grease or silicone as needed. Check those web sites for more info.
    Last edited by trebor44; 11-03-2018 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Added more info
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.

Shooting that little Crossman is about enough fun to be illegal. I have improved my pistol shooting by being able to practice at home for next to nothing. I don't feel a need for a lot of mods to the one I have, but I know some people just can't leave them alone.

Wayne

I put in the replacement pin today, and shooting the Crossman is a whole new experience now. Thanks for all the help, everybody; I'm back in business.

Wayne

Boolit Mold

Check the crosman site, new barrel stock bolt..Yeah I went crazy and hotrodded all my four..2 .177 and 2 .22..

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    it actually says to oil the pump cup a little, which I thought was verboten with air guns. That's probably why it got hard to pump in the first place.

Wayne
    -----------------
    As everyone reading like thread likely knows already, please make sure you use airgun-specific oil. Crosman offers such an oil. Regular gun oil may "diesel" (combust due to high compression) and possibly damage your gun.

I put in the replacement pin today, and shooting the Crossman is a whole new experience now. Thanks for all the help, everybody; I'm back in business.

Wayne
    Good to hear that solved your problems and your having fun with your 1377.
    I love mine and thinking of getting another through the custom shop with a longer bbl. along with a few things from airwerks to spice it up a bit.

Boolit Buddy

Wayne
    Glad to hear it!

The Crosman 13xx series are great little guns and cheap to feed but they are money pits if you like to tinker with them. I just got my .22 version and can't wait to get the steel breech, 14 inch barrel and other additional items! Alchemy Airwerks, Airgun Depot and Alliance Hobby have lots of goodies to drool over. The 13xx seem to be the 'barbies' of the airgun world!
    West of Beaver Dick's Ferry.