MidSouth Shooters SupplyGraf & SonsTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
WidenersLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Most people ARE NOT baking PC long enough

I have no problem with experimenting, BUT some things can not be changed such as the temperature pure lead melts at. Unless you modify its molecular makeup.

If the producers of powdercoating (scientists/chemists) could produce a PC that cured in a shorter length of time they would have the corner on the market.

their PC cures completely only when baked for X amount of minutes after the substrate has reached X degrees - this is science. IF you want to change that you will need to change the chemical makeup of that powdercoat.

I'm always looking for a better method of applying PC without using a gun, this we can change. I have designed a contraption that should improve the speed and quality of ASBBDT, (my youngest son a mechanical engineer helped me with the design) I just need to find the components to make it.

I bought my powder from smoke. Because he tests with shake and bake. I did the smash test with times provided. The PC adhesion was surprisingly good. I pre-heat to 400 using a setting point that was tested with a thermometer, so am up to temp before first batch and am using a fairly small toaster oven so oven doesn't cool down much between batches. Just bought a larger oven for $5 at a 1/2 price Salvation Army sale. Not yet tried beyond establishing dial location that delivers 400*.

I do run a little longer for heavier bullets than my normal 15 minutes plus how long it takes me to respond to the phone timer alarm going off. I'm usually doing something else with the 15 minutes so have to set that aside and get over to the oven. I also run a couple extra minutes for rifle bullets that I intend to push such as .223 that are expected to cycle an auto loading mechanism. Say anything that may do 2000+ fps or close to that velocity. While revolver or 45 colt even for rifle are fine with the same 15 - 18 minutes extra due to mass of lead needing to come up to temperature and it taking longer for oven to heat that.

I often size a second time after PC so there is a another opportunity to inspect or have tooling damage PC and that damage has a chance to be noticed. I always run an outside chamfer tool on the base to remove any flashing an so far have seen little or less that should be discarded.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Boolit Master
    Here is the problem with the strictly by the rules people is they don't test.
    If your sample does what it suppose to such as stay on the bullet. Insulates the bullet so no leading occurs and gives good accuracy then it passes the test. Regardless of what I think or anyone else on curing time. Think about it.
    Ive tried 15 minutes, 30 minutes and 40 minutes cant tell the difference.
    But I dont shoot rifles with PC coated bullets just handguns.

Again I mean no hurt, harm, anguish or turmoil by my post I have posted on this posted subject. I am not baiting, trolling or calling out anyone. I am making a post based on my experience, knowledge and/or belief or opinion. That is all.
    Last edited by 44MAG#1; Yesterday at 04:19 PM.
    We Know Mass Cannot Be Weighed But It Has Newtonian Weight And That Is Derived From Kilograms And Kilograms Can Be Converted to Pounds. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed. But How is the kilograms obtained? Can Kilograms Be Weighed? Evidentally Yes It Can. But, Still Mass Cannot Be Weighed So Kilograms Must Not Exist. Funny Isn't It.
    One good thing out of this the next time I'm at the doctors and they want to weigh me I'll tell them mass cannot be weighed.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345