Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Duplicating Flite Control #1/tightest buckshot possible

Boolit Buddy
    There is also the Winchester Blind Side wad .... never tried it ... but another design trying to compete with the Flightcontrol wad ....

What’s the furthest you’re shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK; after looking at the patent pictures we could use regular Scotch Packaging Tape around the shot cup with some deployable strips of mylar around the periphery acting as drag planes to slow the wad down and release the shot. Then split the gas seal like 4-8 times around it so that it would expand after leaving the barrel and act like the fletching on a Badminton Birdie for more accuracy.

Any one who can operate a Razor Blade and Tape can do this.

As far as any Patent Protection goes, nobody cares about what we might do for our own personal purposes Now if you wanted to do this for Commercial Purposes you might have a problem if discovered by someone at Federal who actually cared.

The problem with patents is the fact that in order for them to have any teeth you must be able to defend them. This takes money. If the amount of money it takes to Defend said Patent is more than whatever can be recovered (if in fact you prevail) then it is obviously not worth pursuing. Also defending a patent is pointless if you only recover enough to pay the Lawyers. This is what usually happens with Class Action Lawsuits, you get $10 and the Lawyers get millions. I got exactly $7.30 from a Class Action against VW America over the Diesel BS. The law firm that brought the suit billed millions.

Now if you have a "Trademark" that is a completely different animal. You can take everything someone has as retribution for Trademark Infringement right down to their underwear.

Putting tape on a wad to try to improve its performance is not going to get you into trouble.

Randy
    It also means that none of the aftermarket wad suppliers will be making copies of the wad anytime soon.

Boolit Man
    You can use these wads, unslit, for even tighter patterns or slightly cut (about half length, 4 petals) for closer range:
    https://www.ballisticproducts.com/CS...tinfo/0207078/

USMC 77, USRA 79

Wow... those Blind Side diamond cut wads look kinda cool...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

RMc: True.

Elvas: I see those wads working similar to flight control with only minor mods. Like splitting the base so it flares on exit from the muzzle creating a "drag effect."

I also see another use for this wad. And that is for "Poormans Slugs," made by filling the shot cup with Melted Wax and then drizzling in birdshot until full. This makes a Frangible Slug and the shot cup would make it even more accurate as it would keep everything together and fly as a complete unit like a slug with an attached wad.

Various types of glue could also work to keep everything together. Size of shot would determine penetration, but maybe it wouldn't make that much difference if the whole mass stayed together until Impact?

This could be a decent HD type of Practice Round for those who can't afford to shoot endless Factory Slugs.

I might have to get some of those for experimentation.

Pretty serious about a "Flitecontrol" alternative.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    There was quite a bit of discussion on delayed opening of conventional wads, droge type shotcup drags, and other related approaches in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mance+buckshot

In an earlier video on buckshot I did, I became a fan of the CBLC was from BPI. I tested them with 2 and 4 slits and by far, the 4 slit wad patterned tighter with #1 buckshot at 50 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by RMc View Post
    There was quite a bit of discussion on delayed opening of conventional wads, droge type shotcup drags, and other related approaches in this thread:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...mance+buckshot
    Ralph: Thanks for the link to that thread. Lots of good info there and some things I want to try.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Mold
    This interest me as well. I did not know they had discontinued. You may have to step it up to 00 as stated. Hornady Versatite Wad does the same thing. https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/s...ican-gunner#!/ It looks like Flightcontrol ammo is still up on website. https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...l-wad/pd132-00 https://www.federalpremium.com/produ...-wad/pfc157-00

I would agree with those saying Buck Kickers Choke is the way to go.

If you are into reloading, I have found Bubba Rountree Outdoors info useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDqfNYVIgtY

Tight Pattern #1buck out of 12 gauge is my next reloading project, but that will have to wait until I'm home. I'll post my results after Thanksgiving.

Boolit Bub
    I shot both the Blindside and BlackCloud on geese, the BlackCloud definitely hit then better up real high but the Blindside kills better with fewer pellets, it does daamage more like lead shot then steel shot.

Boolit Buddy
    Here some pictures of the Flight Control wad:

From left to right:

1. 3" Flight Control Flex wad from a Federal Black Cloud 1 1/4oz steel BBB load (the new design)
    2. Hornady Superformance 12 ga 2 3/4 00 Buck
    3. Federal Vital-Shok 12ga 2 3/4", 00 Buck

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FlightControlWads1.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	231119

And here images for some Flight Control wads after they have been shot:

Name:	FlightControlWads2.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	231120

Name:	FlightControlWads3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	52.6 KB 
ID:	231121

Banned

As I mentioned in post #2
    I believe you can duplicate the FliteControl wad with a razor knife
    Just look at the patent or the pictures above, it is all about "air-brakes"
    Excellent picture post @faustus
    It is all about getting the wad away asap.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12