RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad Data
Inline Fabrication

Thread: Best Reloading/Swage Press Stand for Use in Travel Trailer?

Boolit Master

Best Reloading/Swage Press Stand for Use in Travel Trailer?

Looking for others to share thoughts.

We have 21 foot and 38 foot travel trailers. I am wanting the ability to do both Reloading and Swage operations when we travel. The available surfaces (Counters and Tables) are not going to be sturdy enough to resize rifle brass; let alone resizing 50BMG case or doing Swaging operations for making bullets. This means I will need to move towards a "Portable Stand" for the presses (RCBS Rock Chucker, Lee Classic Cast 50 BMG Single Stage Press, and Corbin S-Press).

My primary Press stand I have used for over 30 years is too big, bulky and heavy for putting in the travel trailers. It's an old steel equipment rack ( about 38" tall, and 24" x 24" surface) that I made a wooden top by glueing two 3/4 pieces of plywood together on top of the original thin steel top. I rescued this from the trash on a military base years ago, it's original life had been as a rack for Teletype printers. This is a Rock Sturdy press stand that stands up to swaging bullets.

I bought a Frankford Arsenal reloading stand a couple of years ago. It's fine for .223; but it is stressed sizing .308 brass (No way on Swaging or 50BMG). This option will not work for my needs. Attachment 229448

So; the thrust of this thread - What's your ideas/recommendations for a Press Stand (Preferably small or easily taken down for storage) for use in Travel Trailers?
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Make a sturdy table top attached to a 2" square tube to be inserted into your frame hitch. Requires good weather.

Banned
    If weight isn't a big consideration, a grinder or vice base/stand might work

Boolit Master

I don't know of a commercial product that is available. There is just not that many that swage or reload 50 in a travel trailer. I suspect that you will need to make a stand. I have a portable stand that I use with a shotgun press. I used 2" pipe theaded on both ends with flanges. I then made a wood base and top. You may go that route but I would use 2 pipes for your application. You could make the top and bottom removable for when not in use. The top and bottom may need to be metal also. You may design or buy a quick dock to use three presses on one stand.

Boolit Master

I had thought of something like this LEE stand; but not sure it is strong enough or that it can be broken down easily (and that Cinder Block Throws me for a loop in thinking)

Attachment 229473
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    My first thought was an attachment in your trucks hitch, but that was suggested in the 2nd post. There probably will be a bit of movement with the suspension on resizing but it probably will provide satisfactory results.

Boolit Master

I like the idea of a 2" hitch mounted press stand. It has a lot of merit for some parts of the year. But am looking more towards inside the trailer for loading/swaging/etc.. in the evenings. In the summer; escaping the flying insects part of the year; in the winter escaping the cold and snow. Anyone have experience with that Lee Stand?
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Had a stand one time that was attached to an 18" square of 3/8" steel with a steel upright and a 3/8" steel plate on top to which I C-clamped my press, sizer and MEC reloader as needed. Found it somewhere in the Army. Worked really well as I put my feet on it for stability. Followed me around in the Army for years. Easy to store and stable enough for all sizing needs. My ex someway "lost" it during one of my later moves. I sure missed that thing. Might look at that./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master

Make a base sturdy enough to take the forces developed, make a column that has a 2" Sq socket that will accept the top that also fits your hitch. Making it so that it breaks down into several parts will make it easier to transport/stow in your trailer.

My wife bought me a portable Rockwell workstation a few years ago. Lowes had them a while back, assume they still do. Heavy base with three legs. Look kind of like the lee thing, but it's much heavier. Top which comes off is 3/4" particle board, I had to add an aluminum plate where I put my lee press on it as I was using it to convert 223 to 22tcm and 300bo and the 22tcm was difficult and required a lot of pressure. You could also make up a new top that was both smaller and specific to your press.
    This is similar, and cheaper than the original jawhorse. Folds up pretty well
    https://www.worx.com/clamping-jawhor...hoCqcwQAvD_BwE

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Here's an Idea for Resizing and Loading all your Rifle and Pistol cartridges Sorry it won't work for 50 BMG.

Probably won't swage boolits either but few will.

Any table will work for the loading part, and you don't need a table for the resizing part.

You can go to my website and there are links to videos on Youtube.

My entire loading operation is currently contained in a Large LAPG Bail Out Bag. Plenty of room for everything and won't take up too much space in the trailer.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com