Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: RCBS Simmit press

Boolit Grand Master

RCBS Simmit press

It looks like a good idea.
    The dies moves instead of the shell.
    Looks solid, with a big shaft and strong linkage.
    Reviews on it are not that great.
    Anyone here used one????
    What is so bad about it????

Boolit Grand Master

I have one on my bench and it does a good job its a decent press. Not quite the leverage of some others but enough for normal reloading. Case forming or heavy sizing no. I used a Bonanza co ax for years with the overhead moving dies. More leverage and better set up. On drawback to these style presses is some dies and or tools arnt useable in them. Collet type bullet pullers, bullet sizing dies, the handle linkages and or handle get in the way and limit what can be done. The plus to the summit is it can be flush mounted with bench and nothing hanging over the front. Another is for its size its a heavy press. The round ram in back appears to be solid round stock not tubing. It does have a grease zerk on the head for lubrication. I use mine mainly for BPCR rounds and it does fine with in limitations. Full length sizing 45-70or 45-90 that have been neck sized 8-9 times is harder than my coax or rock chucker.

Another thing with these presses is handle height mounted on a bench. Being on top of the press its higher than the presses with the normal ram hndle down infront set up, this makes getting a good pull harder

In Remembrance

The suggested retail price is what scared me away. You can buy a new RCBS Rockchucker press with other accessories for about 1/3 the cost.Robert

Boolit Master
    It was a decent press, but other than being able to sit at the edge of the bench without overhang, it was inferior to the rock chucker I had mounted next to it in every way. I sold mine for close to retail, and never looked back.
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Master
    I have one.The lack of leverage is a problem and pretty much eliminates resizing larger rifle cartridges.I use mine for short runs of handgun cartridges.I have the short handle installed on mine.I would not recommend it as an only press unless you're only loading for a handgun or smaller rifle cartridges.

Boolit Master

I agree that it wouldn't be advisable as your only press. It doesn't have clearance on the top end to do jobs like pulling bullets or sizing them. Regarding leverage, RCBS claims it to be equivalent to the Rock Chucker. I believe them in that it might, on paper. It doesn't FEEL like the same leverage, and I think it has to do with how the handle rotates. It finishes the stroke with the handle pushing toward the press, rather than down by your hip like the Rock Chucker. So it doesn't feel like it has as much leverage.

That being said, I really like mine. So it is part of the rotation amongst my 4 presses. It is very high quality. I like the feedback in the handle when bushing neck sizing brass or seating bullets. It does make straight ammo.

No priming. No biggie for me since I don't prime on a SS press.

I recommend the priming catch retrofit from Entirely Crimson. Nice machined aluminum piece that enables tubing to be attached to drop spent primers down into the bin. The press stays really clean.

I believe it will be a nifty range press because it doesn't try to lever over the bench. When I clear a couple other projects i plan to build a trailer hitch mounted reloading table for it.

If you have a C/D SS press already, look for a sale and combine it with an RCBS rebate. I really like it.

Boolit Master
    I think they should have put a rear mounting bolt on it. I heard an explanation why it didn't need one, but mine rocks a little when I put some torque on it. Haven't used it much... Bought a Bonanza AND an A4, so my single-stage requirements are well met... I should sell my Summit....

Boolit Buddy

I have a red, white, and blue model. Works great for me, I only load handgun cartridges on it.
    I got it cheap on eBay when a distributer when getting rid of their inventory.
    I just added a short roller handle from Inline Precision. More comfortable than the big ball handle.

RCBS Summit Single Stage Press Review (previously posted a while back)

Being a fan of single stage presses (and I’ve owned quite a few), I decided to pick up a RCBS Summit single stage press and would to share a few thoughts on this press. I’m actually not sure what RCBS was trying to accomplish with this newer entry. While the concept is new for currently manufactured single stage presses, it not new at all to the shooting fraternity, (take a look at MEC Shot Shell, older Pacific presses, etc.). It appears to be more of a marketing project, rather than an engineering design improvement.

One claim is that it produces more accurate ammunition, I believe this could be debated heavily by any serious reloader. It does lack priming abilities, which would be somewhat of a negative to those interested in getting started in reloading. Ease of access?, actually no different than any common C press or Turret. I sometimes wonder how close they looked at the early Hollywood presses prior to working on this design. From my short experience with this press I find to be somewhat top heavy, meaning that the handle in the full upright position seems to be too long, requiring me to reach much higher than normal for a bench top press.

On the positive side, it is a well built unit, and does sizing operations with little effort (still far short of the old A2 which is still IMO their best ever press). Being a bench top mounted press, it does make for less obstruction below the bench, this might not matter to some, but to me, I do like less obstruction.

I feel that maybe they didn’t quite hit a home run with this product and maybe should have focused on something more like a re-introduced A2, or a real H type press, both of which IMO would appeal more to the serious reloading fraternity.

One last thought, if you offer a single stage press that retails for over $280.00, it should include all the parts needed to make it a complete package, offering a shorter handle as an option for reloading shorter cases is being a little tacky, come on RCBS, you skipped the priming operation, throw in the handle?

Eventually I sold this press and don't miss it...

Boolit Master

The Summit press can be bought for around $215. The Rock Chucker is about $60 less.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by StratsMan View Post
    I think they should have put a rear mounting bolt on it. I heard an explanation why it didn't need one, but mine rocks a little when I put some torque on it. Haven't used it much... Bought a Bonanza AND an A4, so my single-stage requirements are well met... I should sell my Summit....
    I mounted mine on an aluminum plate for PatMarlin's rock dock, but I almost never use it in the dock. A c-clamp toward the back of the plate holds it securely.

Mine is used mainly for small runs of pistol cartridges, and for that the throw is way longer than it needs to be. While sizing or belling I never lift the die to the top of its throw, but just enough to swap cases.

I probably wouldn't be happy if this was my only press, but it doesn't eat anything.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master

I mounted mine on an RCBS accessory base plate, then drilled/tapped the 4 bolt pattern for the Redding Ultramag. I swap the Summit, Rock Chucker, and UM relatively quickly. The Pro 2000 is in a fixed spot. The Pro2K and the RC are my workhorses.