Lee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxWideners
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: In line with long twist

In line with long twist

Hi everyone. I live in a place where it rains a lot we get on average 180 inches of rain a year. I love shooting black powder. I was thinking an in line with a 209 primer slow twist for round balls in a 54 cal would be nice. In a wet environment the inline would be the most reliable. Seems most all in lines are fast twist. I like shooting round balls and not at reduced powder charges. I want to hunt with them. Does any one here know of any one that makes a long twist rifle? I like the break action modern rifles. I have a few flint locks but they don't like the rain. I have a Knight LK93 but it has the fast twist and I have to really slow the round balls down to get any accuracy. Any ideas guys?
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Mag spark (sealed 209 ignition)on my side locks with tape across muzzle ,Waterproof and done .Renegades/Hawkens/and almost forgot H+A under hammer all slow twist RB shooters /45-58 cal 30 gr to 110 gr /squirrel to whatever /Ed

Boolit Master
    Your fighting the tides. 99% of those shooting inlines are shooting sabots or similar. Guys shooting RB are old school and want side locks. Be very very little demand for a slow twist inline. So gunsmith and a new barrel are probably only options.

Boolit Master
    If you really have to have an inline with a slow twist, have Bobby Hoyt put a liner in the inline of your choice. 717-642-6696. I would go with the Mag spark and taping the barrel. To each his own.
    Bob
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Mag spark? I will have to look into that. Thanks for that. It replaces the nipple on a standard side lock? I bet if one company made one model inline with a long twist they would be surprised how many people would buy one.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Mag spark? I will have to look into that. Thanks for that. It replaces the nipple on a standard side lock? I bet if one company made one model inline with a long twist they would be surprised how many people would buy one.
    You would be too,think you would get lonely in that group of roundball shooters . Inline shooters want to extend their rifle season around here and have no interest in short range (RB) shooting ,flintrock/sidelock .Perhaps your location differs from mine /have fun Ed

Traditions makes a special run of Youth 4-H & YHEC shooting sports rifles that are exclusively available from http://www.muzzleloadershop.com

It is a break action 209 round ball model with a 13" youth stock for which an adult replacement stock can be obtained directly from Traditions.

It's a .50 caliber with a 1 in 48" twist 24" octagon barrel that has Williams metal fiber optic sights.

Last I heard they were out of stock and were waiting for more to come in.

lead chucker, please let me know if you find that any have become available.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4-H-YHEC.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	122.7 KB 
ID:	229503
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-28-2018 at 01:44 PM.

IMO, the OP was envisioning a barrel rifling twist on the order of 1:60" or so.

A 1:48" twist is a marketing ploy/compromise, to sell more rifles.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Quote Originally Posted by pietro View Post

IMO, the OP was envisioning a barrel rifling twist on the order of 1:60" or so.

A 1:48" twist is a marketing ploy/compromise, to sell more rifles.

AFAIK, the original Hawken Brothers rifles were 1 in 48".
    The Hawken Brothers rifles were among the most desirable rifles of the entire era.
    And possibly many more cap lock rifles from the percussion era were 1 in 48" than any other twist.

The 1 in 48" twist is no modern gimmick or ploy to sell more modern reproduction rifles.
    It's a historically correct round ball twist from which the modern reproduction Hawken rifle twist rates are based upon.
    Last edited by arcticap; 10-28-2018 at 11:36 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Pecatonia Longrifles sell an Allen in line action. I called the shop a couple years ago and spoke to the owner about an in line 58cal based off that action. I was told that it has been done and he used I believe the Rem model 700 stock dimensions. It was a pricey build and I never went through with it. I have seen some custom in lines. Even a 12 bore rifle! Now we are talkin! I'm just sayin it can and has been done. If you can dream it someone can build it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Post #2 by Edward and my post recommend the Mag spark and taping the barrel. The mag spark needs anti-seize on the threads as per their directions. A Thompson Center side lock with a Mag spark (flea bay) and taped barrel and a Hoyt lined barrel is the way to go. Some T/C 's had a slow twist barrel too, 1 in 66 twist vs the usual 1 in 48.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD