Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .32 Snake Load Project -Need Help

Boolit Mold

.32 Snake Load Project -Need Help

Hello Everyone,

I've been lurking here for awhile and it's re-ignited the reloading bug. (I haven't loaded in 12 years, and never had cast anything but RB and Maxi's for the muzzleoaders). THis is my first post and I am already asking for help.

Recently I have picked up a couple of pre-war S&W Hand Ejectors in .32 S&W Long. These have been fun to shoot, nice to carry, and pack more punch than my .22 Kit gun. I can't believe how much smaller these are than the j frames, and now carry one of them on my hikes and fishing trips. I've been on a kick to develop some snake loads for the .32's but have run into some problems.

My first thought was just to load some Unique or Bullseye into a .32 S&W Long case, top off the powder with an overcard (a 3-hole punch cutouts of plastic butter tub lids), add some #12 shot, and put another overshot card and crimp in place. I planned on sealing it with elmer's glue. I tried putting together one load but it didn't seem there would be enough weight/shot capacity for this to work.

I ended up getting 100 nickel-plated .32 H&R magnum cases thinking that the extra length would allow for more shot, and would still fit in the 32 S&W Long cylinder as there wouldn't be anything extending beyond the mouth of the case. I thought I should be able to get 75grains of shot in the case and would use a comparable cast load to determine the powder charge.

After resizing the cases, I find that the web at the base does not allow the .32 Mag case to seat in the cylinder. I guess H&R and Federal did this so that you couldn't load WC in .32 mag cases for use in a .32S&W Long. I guess I should have though of that.

I went ahead and charged 1 of the cases with 3gr Unique, added the overpowder wad, shot, and overshot card just to see how much shot it would hold.- 50grains including wads. I still think that might be light and may have to re-think the whole project.

Anyone have any snake load recipes in .32's?? I've been intrigued with the ..327 Federals, and perhaps that's the better platform to develop snake loads on. Anyone tried shotloads in the .327 Federal yet??

Don.

Boolit Master

Don,

Welcome to the best place on the web.

You'll no doubt learn a lot here...I sure have, and do nearly every day.

As far as making a shot load for .32 S&W Long...don't give up...after all they load shot loads for .22 LR. I'm sure patterns will get real thin-real quick, but for a slithering creepy crawly who wants to get in your shoes with you it should do fine.

Try a search for shot loads...I've seen threads where members described how they did thier loads. Try using a sharpened case to cut wads from thin cardboard, and overshot wads from the foam trays from the supermarket meat dept.

Let us know how it goes.
    "Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil." Doug Patton

Converting lead into gold

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    I'm thinking that for .32 revolvers, a .30 gas check, open end up on the bottom and another one on top, open end down, with the shot in between ought to work pretty well. Keep the load together with a heavy roll crimp over the radius at the heel of the upper 'check. You don't need much powder. a couple of grains of Bullseye should be plenty. I've never tried this, but it's been done before in .38, .44, .45 and I'm sure other cartridges.

Regards,

Stew
    Sig file change:
    "Obi Wan Baloney"
    VOTE 2012! Throw them out! Every last one of them! (Feel free to add this to your sig. Spread the word!)

"...Get a rope." Pace Picante Sauce commercial, ca. 1984

"I (did, on several occasions) swear to support and defend the Constitution of the United States, against ALL enemies, foreign AND domestic, and to bear true faith and allegiance to the same." And when I left, they never asked me to recant.

Boolit Grand Master

I have NOT done this, as yet. However, medicinal capsules might work. Ideal, of course, would be plastic shot capsules as sold by Speer for the .38/.357, .44, and .45. Unfortunately, Speer doesn't catalog them in .32 Caliber.

Another possibility is to use .32 H&R cases and neck down the extra length just enough to seat properly in the cylinder. This would give a short neck section that is small enough to fit in the cylinder throats. Then use a proper powder charge, a gas check seated on the powder, fill the case with #12 Shot, then cap off with a wad sealed by Duco Cement and a good crimp.

I am a fan of the .32's for field use, and this has been one of the only drawbacks of this caliber. With the introduction of the .327 Federal, maybe Speer can be induced to produce shot capsules that will work in the new .327, the .32 H&R Magnum, and the .32 S&W Long. Keep your fingers crossed but DO NOT HOLD YOUR BREATH!

Dale53

Boolit Master

quote;After resizing the cases, I find that the web at the base does not allow the .32 Mag case to seat in the cylinder. I guess H&R and Federal did this so that you couldn't load WC in .32 mag cases for use in a .32S&W Long. I guess I should have though of that.

Are you saying that the base of the 32 mag case is larger than the base of the 32SW & SW long? Seems unlikely to me but I've never compared measurements.
    If I couldn't get the Mag case to fit all the way into a 32SW cylinder I would leap to a conclusion that the mouth of the case was impinging on the chamber throat.
    Funny how we have different ideas.
    Anyway, it sounds like a fun project. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Pepe Ray
    The way is ONLY through HIM.

Statesville, North Carolina...too close to Charlotte
    Check out this thread. Works for me, but my way is not the only way.

http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...ad.php?t=30536
    "Ignorance is the parent of fear."-Herman Melville

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Everyone for the suggestions.

I 've started the project thinking that a .32 Long should hold more shot than a .22 or .22 magnum and I do believe it's doable. I've loaded .38 shotshells using the CCI capsules and they work find, but the K frame is a little more than I want for a handy sized hiking gun.

I've seen other threads about using a spent case to cut overwads, but found that my 3-hole binder punch cuts out heavy chipboard packaging (like that found on large boxes of laundry detergent) and plastic tub lids that are perfect in size and is very quick to use. I also thought about the .30 gas checks, but I haven't started casting for .30 cals yet so buying a full box of gas checks for this project is on hold.

In my haste yesterday, I didn't pull out the calipers to make any measurements. In my stupidity I didn't consider/remember that the cylinder walls taper at the mouth. (thanks Dale53 and Pepe Ray). I guess I was thinking "straight wall cases" and not considering the cylinder dimensions.

It looks like I'll need a find a way to neck down the last .25" of the cases if I am to use the Hand Ejectors with .32 mag cases. I have some cerrosafe so perhaps I'll make a cast of a chamber and get a simple neck sizer made.

It's that or I could have another reason to buy a .327 Federal

Boolit Mold
    Lead Melter,
    The link sends me to the homepage of Gunloads, but not to a specific thread. Can you redirect me.

Don

Boolit Master

32 fan

I ,too, have,shoot and enjoy 32s. Was wondering if a chucking reamer was used to thin the internal case dimentions if there would be enough increase in volume to be worth the trouble. Being so small to start with any gain in shot weight would be helpful,me thinks. The stuff I've read about the 327 is that it has a "internal belt" and you can not seat bullets deeper than this thickening of the case. I think I have some 32 mag brass at the shop so today I'll measure and see what gives. My first boolit mold was a 31133,bought back in the early 60's. Tried it in my M-1 carbine...no joy....accurate but not feeding well. Now I shoot 'em in my Mod 30 S&W. Deadly on all varmits.
    Lewis AKA Wright Brothers Gunsmiths

"Illegitimus non carborundum"

Political Correctness: A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t*rd by the clean end!

Boolit Master

Never have attempted to load shot on .30s/.32s but, I have done a lot of .38s.

Check your local drug store in the pharmacy section. See if they have any gelatin capsules (empty). I was able to obtain the correct size for the .38 Special and they work pretty good and they're cheap.

You'll have to tinker a bit with the quantity of shot as the capsules slide together and offer a variable capacity.

You should be able to work up a pretty nice shot load. Use #9s or the smallest shot that you can get and a fast burning powder. WW231 has worked for me but Bullseye, 700-X or almost any fast burner will work.

A friend on the board here gave me a bottle of #10s, #11s and #12s so the oddball sizes are out there. You just have to look./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Mold
    I have about 9lbs of #12 shot, so I am pretty much set on pellets, unless I end up in a viper pit. I've loaded a whole box of Speer Shot Capsules in .38 using the #12 shot and really like using the capsules. The idea of Gelcaps seem like a great idea. I'll check on those.

I checked on CCI's website and found their "bullet weight" for each of their Shotshell loads.
    in .22 LR it lists 31 grains; in .22 mag it's 52 grains. (that's what I think will fit in a .32 mag case with a crimped overshot wad. Gelcaps should allow for more pellets.).
    In 9mm they list 64 grains of #12 shot; for .38/.357 they list #9's and 109 grains.

That's interesting about the .327 Federal case. Something to consider before buying one and thinking about making snake loads.

For my Hand Ejectors (one is actually a Reg. Police with the larger grips), I have picked up a Lyman 313445 SWC and planned on using WW231. I picked up 5 boxes of older RP ammo, and 1 box of Fiocchi wadcutters for $50 and now have 300 Brass. I bought some Magtech 96gr. RN and Hunter Supply 76gr. FN and have loaded 100 of each for my next trip to the range.

I haven't cast the Lymans yet as it's been pretty hot and I still need to pick up a sizer to finish those anyway.

THe .32's are addictive.

snake load????

Why would anyone want a snake load? I'm 70 years old and can still outrun a snake. And they dont chase after you.

Boolit Mold
    For a couple of reasons:

I have a dog and he isn't the smartest when tangling with skunks and such and I think it's only a matter of time when he finds a cottonmouth on one of our walks.

I also used shotloads on rats on the farm when I was growing up. I don't have any rats here in the subdivision, but it's kind of comforting in a strange way to have some shot loads on hand.

I like handguns and developing, testing, and shooting a new load is rewarding in itself.

OH, and I really would like to get that rattlesnake hatbad for my Stetson.
    Last edited by Zeemaker; 10-01-2008 at 03:11 PM. Reason: Misspelled word

Boolit Master

If I'm in camp and a rattler decides to share the campsite with me, I have decided that I reign.
    (One time we were camping in Happy Valley - Sweet Ol' Carole was reading on a fold-up chaise-lounge, and a 5' timber rattler showed up and slithered under her chair. He was dispatched with a Speer .38 snake load. Happens...)
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

In Remembrance

I load shot for 45 ACP using 3 gr. Bullseye, styrofoam wad cut from a take out tray with a cartridge case (sharpen mouth and drill out flash hole to allow punching out wad), compress wad with dowel, add shot to about 1/16 in. of case mouth, press another styro. wad over shot, seal with Dap Tub and Tile caulk, dry overnight. Heavier powder charges seem to blow a hole in the pattern. Some report that #12 shot kills snakes better than #9 or larger. DALE

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeemaker View Post
    For a couple of reasons:

I have a dog and he isn't the smartest when tangling with skunks and such and I think it's only a matter of time when he finds a cottonmouth on one of our walks.

I also used shotloads on rats on the farm when I was growing up. I don't have any rats here in the subdivision, but it's kind of comforting in a strange way to have some shot loads on hand.

I like handguns and developing, testing, and shooting a new load is rewarding in itself.

OH, and I really would like to get that rattlesnake hatbad for my Stetson.
    http://www.castbulletassoc.org/forum...83&forum_id=50

Get one like this and you can get you pair of matching boots as well.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa smurf View Post
    Why would anyone want a snake load? I'm 70 years old and can still outrun a snake. And they dont chase after you.
    Actually some do, in S. AZ around 4000 ft elevation( Mesquites start thinning out and Live Oaks start) there is rattler that looks similar to a common diamond back except the 3 or 4 inches in front of rattles is solid black not striped, this variety is very aggressive, everyone I have met has made major effort to get to me, none of this coiling up and buzzing stuff or running for a hole.

good luck

Boolit Master

I have read of but not tried the 2 gascheck method. Those gaschecks are also part of your payload. At snake range a gascheck would make major wounds in target.
    Also read about speer plastic capusles doing plenty of damage at close range on snakes.
    Zeemaker, send a PM to me with your address I will put some .30 gaschecks in a envolope and mail them to you. I will enjoy reading about your experiments.
    Last edited by clodhopper; 10-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Grand Master

Speer shot capsules work wonderfully well in .38/.357, .44, .45 (both Colt and .45 ACP). They allow you to use a much heavier charge of shot than without the capsules. I sure wish they had capsules for .32's but I "ain't" holdin' my breath.

Dale53

In Remebrance

Zeemaker- Welcome to the board and let me say I am totally jealous the you found "a couple" 32 Hand Ejectors! I've been looking for years and still ahven't found one I can afford! Good on you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast