WidenersReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: what ya using this season

Boolit Buddy
    so far, I haven't gotten to use anything! I haven't seen any!

USMC 77, USRA 79

For the SE Alaska Blacktail I am gunna be sporting my Newly completed M1 Carbine Bubba Gun sporting a 311410 hollopoint. Country is so thick here, would be lucky to get out to 40-50 yards...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.8 KB 
ID:	229531
    for my bow time, I will be sporting FMJ arrows with the G5 monotec from my old but dependable Bowtech..Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	229534

I really like the G5 Broadhead in the thick brush we have here. Takes a lot more abuse then mechanical types.. and I can shoot it with confidence in the thick stuff to 40 yards if the way is clear, same as my M1 Carbine.. took a nice black bear last year with the G5-Bowtech combo. It makes a nice hole and there was even a blood trail, a rare thing in the rainforest. Sometime I will take an example pic of how dark and thick the forest is here in SE Alaska. You gotta see it to understand as it is nearly impossible to penatrate at times...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Going to be using a couple new ones I picked up this year . Got a 357 max 14 inch contender shooting a 180 gr wfn , a Stevens 325a 30-30 that will be shooting a rd 165 and a Henry big boy 45 colt and would like to try my Ruger gp 100 357 mag . Its just hard to decide what to take haven't taken any game with any of them yet . Took the 357 mag out a couple seasons ago but didn't have any come in close enough put a ultradot on it this year feel confident out to 50yrds using the same 180 gr wfn as in the max .

Boolit Master
    .35 Remington Marlin, .44 Ruger Blackhawk, .275 Rigby on whitetail and hogs. Hope to get one of each with each gun.

Banned

Used a 7x57 Model '93 sporter during our pre-rut antlerless season. Hope to use it again during firearms season which starts in a month. In the mean time, if I get out, I'll use the Barnett crossbow.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7x57mmDeer.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	60.4 KB 
ID:	229537

Boolit Buddy
    I think I will use my Ruger No.2 in 45/70.
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

I just had heart surgery 1 month ago so I have to take it pretty easy for a bit. I have a archery hunt planned in 2 weeks from now and that will be with a Parker crossbow. For Ohio gun season I usually try to hunt with a rifle I haven't killed with so I have single shots in 357 max, and 45-70 that need blooded and a new Henry levergun in 45 Colt so different days will be different rifles.
    For muzzleloader season I have killed with all of them I owned but my 45 cal. Smokeless gets used the most as it can reach out and is very accurate.
    Any deer is always appreciated and this year I will be blessed if I can have the opportunity .

Jedman

Boolit Buddy
    I am starting the season using a crossbow, and if that doesn't pan out, will use my 357 Marlin. I plan on taking my son out for the youth season and he will use the same rifle.
    Sometimes I think we make things harder than they have to be

Looks like I'll be pushing some 165's out of my .300 Mag this year. No need for that much horsepower for deer, but it'll still get the job done, loudly.
    Sully

Boolit Master

Richhodg66
    Is that 7x57 spouting coated projies or lead?
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

I believe I'm gonna try my luck with my new (to me) Ruger 77 MKII 30-06 that I got on trade from a member from another forum a couple weeks back. Had to buy factory shells for the first time in forever so that I could test it out. For some reason, I've never owned a 30-06. If I take to this rifle I'll have to get some dies.
    Do the best you can, with what you've got, where you're at. -Theodore Roosevelt

Boolit Master

This year's deer rifle will be a Ruger No. 1 in 9.3x74R stoked with a light charge of 28 grains of 5744 behind a NOE 285 gr. Lead boolit at 1450'/s. I don't yet have a mould for this rifle and will be using boolits which were gifted to me by 15meter a while back. I am confident this will do the job if I do mine. It is very interesting reading over the various posts on this thread. Lots of different calibers used on the Wiley whitetail. I usually try to take a rifle that I have not taken a deer with if I can. Like so many others here I want to use a lead boolit as well.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Another year with my faithful little model 600 in 35 Rem shooting a 190 gr Ranchdog bullet . Back up plan for late season is the 50 cal flintlock .

Every time you mention that rifle I feel pangs of jealousy going all the way to my toes.

I plan to take out my father's .35 rem.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    Richhodg66
    Is that 7x57 spouting coated projies or lead?
    Cast only. That deer fell to a hollow pointed 287308 and 30 grains of IMR 3031.

Boolit Master

First day ( this Sat.) SPR 18 30-06, second day 219 Savage 30-30, third day #3 Ruger 45-70, fourth day 94 Stevens stubbed to 7x30 Waters,fifth day 7x57mm RB. Lots to choose from. Seen a lot of em on the trail cam but you know how that goes, come season and not a beast to be seen !

Boolit Grand Master
    been thinking I know a long shot
    but if my firearm of choice takes a ****
    I may want to have a back up so I would
    use a Model 70 win in 358 win as my back up
    what say you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    As to cast bullets-- a 16.5" .41 Henry,.358 Win Vanguard, 5.5" 410 GNR
    Our season starts the Sat before thanksgiving

Boolit Master
    Knight 50 cal Disc Rifle for the ML season . And for regular season I wanna blood my AR-10 with the 260 REM upper with Hornady 123 SST handloads , my Parker GH 16 gauge using the Rooskie made Lyman sabot slug , my newest to me Parker EH 10 gauge with 0000 Buck and or the Rooskie 10 version of the Lyman sabot slug . Mannlicher Schoenauer MCA 243 with handloaded (no longer made) Speer 105 Spitzers . Ruger #3 44 Mag that’s been rechambered to 444 with about 2 different cast bullets in about ten different variations . TC Contender and Ruger RedHawks 44 Mags with a number of different cast bullets . 1988 Benelli Montefeltro Super 90 12 gauge 3” with factory Buckshot , Browning A-5 12 Mag circa 1968 with Remington factory 3” foster slugs . And I’m sure I’ve left something out . All of this is stuff I’ve not blooded and or tried . Should I kill the forty or so needed to clear up all I have ready I can always pull out the 6.5-06 , 26 Nosler and and and LOL’s !
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Vendor Sponsor

50 cal CVA optima muzzleloader
    followed my a Henry 45 Colt if that tag gets filled either a 6.5 Grendel or a 14" TC Contender pistol in 45/70 depending on likely shot distance
    All shooting CAST
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Quote Originally Posted by white eagle View Post
    been thinking I know a long shot
    but if my firearm of choice takes a ****
    I may want to have a back up so I would
    use a Model 70 win in 358 win as my back up
    what say you
    If it's a pre 64 .358 - insure it- then take it hunting!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast