WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ? a new mauser bolt action ?

Boolit Grand Master
    If the right military mauser comes along, I'm all over it. I'm still very interested to hear from anybody who has experience with the new M-18.

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, it's been a few months and I'm wondering if anybody has put their hands on one of these new M-18 Mausers. I've looked all over and no joy from any of the gun shops I've visited. Interesting marketing plan -- make a new gun and then make it impossible to see.

Boolit Master

Well. . .it's interesting. . . They're charging A LOT of money for this M18, and A LOT MORE for rifles made on the '98 action that most people automatically think of when the name "Mauser" starts getting kicked around. Those kinds of prices are going to keep it out of a lot of shops - no store owner is going to want to tie that kind of revenue up in something that will get dusty on a shelf; worn out from lots of handling by people who want to sit in the Ferrari, but lack the coin to take it home.

It's not clear what you're wanting in a rifle, but there's a lot of good hunting bolt guns out there. If you're wanting Mauser '98 features, it appears that CZ has discontinued the 550 as a standard production item, but they are still out there to be had or can be custom-ordered in the OMG! price bracket. These are going to be all-steel, double-square bridge, claw-extractor rifles with the arguable improvement of a Pre-'64 Model 70-style solid left locking lug and tilting ejector in place of the 98's split lug and fixed blade system. I picked up two when they were cheap, and they are real shooters.

Otherwise, the Ruger 77 is your huckleberry: claw extractor, M-70 lug and ejector, 3-position safety, and a pretty ingenious front bedding screw.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    Have always admired the Ruger 77's for all the reasons you list. Just have a hankerin' for the Mauser name and want to see what passes for the next step beyond the 98.

I am a 98 Mauser fan, There is one of the new Mausers in a local shop here , but being push feed and not control round feeding will keep me a way from it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Have always admired the Ruger 77's for all the reasons you list. Just have a hankerin' for the Mauser name and want to see what passes for the next step beyond the 98.
    OK. . .price for this M18 not as staggering as the European website would have us believe. Seems like they're trying to play for the $500-$1000 market.

It's not immediately clear from their website, that's for sure. Faults of Google Translate aside, they don't seem to be all that interested in telling you how their rifle works. I see what appears to be a 60-ish degree bolt lift and an extractor that appears to have been stolen from a Post-1964 push-feed Model 70. Could use a few more facts here guys, but it seems like they're looking to play on guys who "have a hankerin' for the Mauser name", as there appears to be little to separate it from any other bolt gun engineered primarily for price point. In that instance, what's going to separate Fords from Chevys is how the driver's seat fits your particular butt.

While I get that the '98's that Mauser is currently producing are custom guns or nearly so with a lot of individual labor, and that a properly built '98 SHOULD cost more than a Remington 783. What I DON'T get is that a mechanism once judged economical enough to arm every grunt in almost every army of the world should now cost about a fourth of a working man's yearly wages to make and market - especially when it's coming directly from the company that did most of that arming. I know that B17's may have had some negative influence on the assembly line, but COME ON!

I thought all this whiz-bang modern CNC machinery was supposed to enable us to make the good stuff cheaply. Instead, we just seem to be looking at how to make the cheap stuff even more cheaply.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master
    Yep. I'd expect today's modern manufacturing to be able to make a newer / better of the classic without the expensive mystique getting in the way. Customs are custom and some will pay for just the "custom" niche. I was intrigued by a $600 Mauser with the expectation of what a Mauser has always been. If it's a Yugo with a Ford nameplate, it will fail in the market place. I just want to get my hands on one to see or at lest hear from somebody who's shot one.

The Turkish arms industry could easily produce a nice 98 Mauser clone that would be affordable. Whether the market is there to entice them to do so is another matter. To me, the M18 rifle is just another black plastic stock hard use bolt action. The one I checked out at Cabela's last year was nice but not nice enough to draw me away from my Tikkas.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dh2 View Post
    I am a 98 Mauser fan, There is one of the new Mausers in a local shop here , but being push feed and not control round feeding will keep me a way from it.
    Same here... always have been a Mauser fan, from military to commercial, Interarms, to Charles Daley, to Remington 798. The M18 is a Mauser in name only and lacks all the true Mauser features.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    . . .I was intrigued by a $600 Mauser with the expectation of what a Mauser has always been. If it's a Yugo with a Ford nameplate, it will fail in the market place. . .
    Well. . .the essentials of making a bolt action shoot are:

1. Vertical surfaces (action face, bolt face, crown) are square to the horizontal surfaces - most notably the bore.

2. Putting the bore through the actual center of the barrel's outside diameter.

3. Good repeatable contact on the bedding surfaces - uniform torque on the action bolts; proper up-pressure on the forend if you use it, that sort of thing.

That's all stuff that the robots do pretty well, and aren't the hardest things to program in and maintain if the plant manager is properly in his people's business. What they're probably going to end up with is a hunting rifle that will shoot the right ammo into 1.5 MOA or less, and be suitable for taking big game animals at any distance one has business shooting them from. . .just. . .like. . .everybody. . .else's. . .hunting. . .rifle.

The whole herd seems to be prioritizing thusly: (1.) what it costs; (2.) how it shoots; (3.) how it operates; (4.) how it lasts. #3 does not seem terribly important to many, as the standard of reliability is measured in terms of how a clean rifle can fire three shots a year to verify zero and one more to kill a non-dangerous game animal. How it lasts is not important to many because we're not taking them to war and most of us aren't shooting ammo by the case. Welcome to the land of the quick buck.
    WWJMBD?

Boolit Grand Master
    Well, I finally got my hands on one of the new Mauser M-18's. Went to Trop's gunshop in Elizabethtown, PA. and they had a rack of 'em. I'm sure it's a fine shooter, but not my cup of tea. I've been spoiled by walnut and blue steel and just can not get excited by the plastic stock & gritty feeling action. It threw nicely to the shoulder, the bolt didn't bind, but the finish excited me about as much as an 870 Express. Surely wouldn't turn one down and if I needed a good rifle, I'm sure it would fill the bill. I'm just in the want mode and not the need mode. Thanks to all who chimed in. 725

What were they asking for them?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Price - $599

I think it's a good deal as the rifle is surely well made. If I needed one I don't think I'd hesitate. Slap a Vortex scope on it and you'd be off to the races. I just don't need, need being the operative thing, another good rifle. I was hoping it would bring with it some of the flavor of the Mauser name.

While I was there, I looked at a rifle made by a local shop, "Legendary Arms Works". Now, there was a rifle. Price tag to go with it, too.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12