MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingLoad DataWidenersRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything

Thread: a few questions on the swag-o-matic

a few questions on the swag-o-matic

As I've been playing with this thing more, I've gotten the hang of some things and then some questions to follow up. I have no experience with swaging and until recently have not done any serious inquiry into it.

The lead wire. Is there a common source to get wire that could be cut to make 35cal bullets or do they need to be ordered?
    What is the best was to measure and cut the wire to make sure the bullets are of a consistent weight?

When I was swaging a boolit into a half jacket, I noticed there was a piece of lead about an inch and a half long about the width of a paper clip coming out of the vent hole. Is this a "normal" thing in the operation or is it something that should be avoided? I assume of course that one should strive to have minimal vented lead, but is it something that could be a problem over time? Does the venting even out most of the differences in the weight of the lead so the projectiles will will have fairly consistent weight in the event that the wire is cut a with a spread of a few grains?

I am planning to get around to getting some lead wire, normal copper gas checks, and then adding lube grooves, most likely by placing two files in a vice and rotating the bullet in between them, unless I hear why that is not the best idea. I am not planning on spending too much money on this thing as it seemed to be of somewhat limited versatility, but in the meantime, I have it, and I am going to learn to do what I can.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master

There is some vendors on this site selling lead wire, check swappin and selling/vendor sponsor.

That lead coming out of the die vent is excess, if you keep pressure on the swaged bullet until the lead stops flowing out of the vent, your bullets will be a uniform weight.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master

You can purchase or make a core cutter. It's just some pieces of flat steel or angle iron with holes in them just over your wire size.
    They pivot on a bolt to shear the wire.
    They also incorporate an adjustable stop to make the cut core uniform length.
    Adjust the stop so all your cores are big enough to bleed a little lead out of the "vent hole".
    Lee Mauser made a nice one here, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1z34TEmdnk
    Last edited by clodhopper; 10-25-2018 at 11:44 PM.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Thanks CH, that is exactly what I was trying to figure out about the vent.

As far as acquiring lead wire offline, as I want to avoid shipping costs and I am not planning on getting enough to make a large buy worthwhile, is it sold for other purposes in usable sizes? I live in rural area but theres hardware stores and various stores for the ag and other industries, is it something I could go to a store to pick up or is it exclusively or almost exclusively a bullet thing? From the few duckduckgo searches I've done most of what i could find that would be usable was about $4/lb, which mean I'd just as soon use CB rejects, which would deal with the correct weight issue, but I want to do this the way it was designed to just because.
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

Boolit Master

I don't know of any local sources of lead wire.
    There is plenty of lead around here so core molds fill my needs.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

I have got some lead wire on the way from Zbench, the price and quantity was reasonable to my needs.
    I should be making a youtube thing of the whole process the way its supposed to go, when i get it going to the point that i know what i am talking about.