Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky

Thread: GP 100 44 special

Boolit Bub

GP 100 44 special

My Gp is on the way back to RUGER .I have a blue one. The forcing cone cracked today my load 5.7 gr. 231 250 gr cast. Hope it doesn't again.

Boolit Master
    Oh-oh.
    I sure hope your unfortunate incident is the one in a million odd ball unexplained event that just happened.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    This isn't the first I've read about - **** and I was shopping around real hard for one of these.
    Maybe a rethink - guess I'll hang around watching for a while.

Not a lot of "meat" in that forcing cone.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Buddy

How many rounds did you have down the barrel? I have not fired mine yet as I am just getting some loads put together.

Boolit Bub
    1,000 rounds. I hope this isn't a common problem. My 357 just keeps on ticking .

Boolit Master
    That is not the kind of load I would expect to cause problems! I have a 696 with skinnerier barrel extension and have have had no issue with Skeeter type loads, maybe a fluke. Sorry you got a bad one, really hope I didn't!
    Last edited by rking22; 10-26-2018 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

1,000 rounds! Hope the fix is satisfactory in the long term. Keep us posted.

Boolit Master
    How odd, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t have thought that out of a Ruger. When Smith came out with their M69 I rang them up and said the L frame in .44 would have too thin a forcing cone. They told me thay had one that had 10,000 rounds of magnum ammo through it plus others and nary a cracked forcing cone yet. I would have thought we would have seen cracked forcing cones in the Smith L frame and not in the Ruger.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    How odd, thanks for sharing. Wouldn’t have thought that out of a Ruger. When Smith came out with their M69 I rang them up and said the L frame in .44 would have too thin a forcing cone. They told me thay had one that had 10,000 rounds of magnum ammo through it plus others and nary a cracked forcing cone yet. I would have thought we would have seen cracked forcing cones in the Smith L frame and not in the Ruger.
    You're right, the original L-frame barrel, such as in the M696, wouldn't survive 44 Magnum loads. However, the M69 uses a different two-piece barrel system that puts more steel where it's needed.
    Remember: Ammo will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no ammo.

Boolit Grand Master

This is worrisome. My GP-100 is back with the mothership for other reasons, but I hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Boolit Bub
    Update on Gp RUGER is building replacement today,Didn't say what was wrong on the old one.

The cracked forcing cones on 696's comes when you shoot a bunch of lead boolits and lead up the forcing cone and then shoot a hot jacketed load to clean it out. Cracks every time so you don't do that. There are no replacement barrels for 696's so don't ruin yours.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy

TRM - please be sure to keep us updated on this.

Boolit Buddy

I have wondered the same thing. The customs seem to function well over time.

Moderator Emeritus

TRM, Did you tell Ruger you were shooting cast bullets in reloads?
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by buckwheatpaul View Post
    TRM, Did you tell Ruger you were shooting cast bullets in reloads?
    Yes,There were other issues with the gun they had to make a new one.I get it on Tuesday .

Has anyone observed more forcing cone issues with the blued GP100 44's vs the SS variant?