RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: Getting serious

Getting serious

Ordered 50 pounds of pure lead from Rotomatals, if I need to add some tin I will do so. Ordered a Lyman taper crimp die.

Anything else?

Also, since I now no longer need to use the crimp grove I should be able to set the bullet out, right?

Boolit Master

I don't use the crimp groove on any of my bullets. I really only crimp my AR and 30-30 bullets. My 30-30 crimps in the first lube groove. My 270 seats between the first and second lube groove. Even my .357 Mag seats to below the crimp groove.

Depending on how you patch it may change your seating depth. I just patch the driving bands. If i patch to the ogive then makes me seat really deep. I dont like having different seating depths. Plus sideis no matter how you patch the bullets will be better centered in the throat.

I never read where it said i had to use the crimp groove so i never really did. I felt seating the bullet into throat was more important for accuracy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    "Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."
    ~Theodore Roosevelt~

I don't crimp at all. My patched boolits are a fairly tight fit in unsized necks, requiring a press to fully seat after finger starting. I roll the patched boolits on the lube pad prior to seating. They need a bullet puller to get them out again, yet there is no measurable neck expansion. Camming action of the bolt does seat the boolits deeper if they are seated out too far.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I'm more concerned about that rounds riding in the mag tube getting hammered back. If I've seen that with heavy loaded 45 colt I see no reason it wouldn't happen with 45-70.

As far as contact seating I don't see it being able to feed. Over 2.55 or so is asking for problems. Right now I'm at 2.44 so I guess I could move it out. If it would contact before the action locks I don't think it has the camming power to push the bullet in so it can close and fire.

Hunting load. I am planning of using pure lead and shooting deer with it. I have to figure that bullet hitting at about 1400 fps has to flatten out like a silver dollar. I would like some feedback on that.
    Last edited by armednfree; 10-26-2018 at 09:11 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Majority of PP shooters that are loading the boolits far out, are shooting single shot rifles with bore riders, so they can seat them out as far as they want. If you want to charge a magazine, you are pretty much limited in overall length. I’m experimenting with a .45-70 Marlin and just loading them one at a time. Not the best for hunting.

Boolit Bub
    The problem with not crimping is setback of the bullet in the magazine, i think a light crimp is better for hunting loads.

You can use a slow enough powder that the amount of the powder will keep the bullet in place so that it does not set back. Brodie