RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load DataLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Large propane tank purging

Boolit Master

Large propane tank purging

I purchased a 1000 gallon used propane tank old and has good data plate. Tank has been sitting a while. Has no odor, or smell of propane,but had about 2# pressure when I got it.
    So my question is, would the tank stand to be evacuated to deep vacuum, would it implode or collapse with a deep vacuum like that. Cheaper to evacuate to get air and moisture out than to purge with 18 gallons of propane, the way some companies do it.
    Tank looks good and sound, no dents or pits, normal looking horizontal above ground tank. Purchased for storage of fuel price in summer being a lot cheaper.

Boolit Grand Master

The cut open bulk tanks that I have seen are thick enough that a vacuum would not collapse them. Could the purge be done with compressed air?

Boolit Grand Master

Purge with air pressure or maybe nitrogen to remove moistures then compressed air to remove nitrogen. Ideally in one end out the other push pull everything out. Run air in the tank thru fill to set pressure then out another opening maybe a valve fitted in place of the pop off valve, do this several times. 1000 gal tank is going to take a lot of air compressor to reach 10-15 lbs pressure even.

Boolit Master
    I’m thinking it would take a good vacuum. The large Freon tanks would take all we could pull with our vacuum pumps. Some times we would hook up and let run all night. Shaped like same but were up right, still with domes top and bottom. I remember 2’’ vacuum = 1 psi so gauge reading would be only = to 15 psi if reading 29.92 “ on manifold gauge. Think I might just hook up pump and leave the area in case it implodes I won’t be around close. I know 55 gallon barrel @ 15” would collapse totally.
    But they were very thin.

I'm a little confused... what are you putting in it?
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    Getting it ready for propane storage next summer when fuel is cheap. Last year had major propane co. call and price was $1.00 per gallon, and I didn’t have room in any of my tanks for it. Now I’ll be prepared.

Boolit Master

Call the propane vendor, they'll have the ability to do an inspection , might not need to do anything outside of a pressure check. The #2 registering on the gauge might not mean anything, might just need replaced.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I once worked propane service, yes you can deep vacuum any propane tank. Don't use your best pump, change the oil in it when done. You will not get deep vacuum on a dirty old tank, but you will get more air out than purging. When you pull propane out with the vacuum pump, the pump motor will light the discharge handle, so tape a long hose on and don't fill the neighbors backyard with a bad smell. The wind is your friend. I would rather vac than purge a tank, it's cheaper. Be very sure there is no water at all in that tank or the regulator will freeze. There may be heavy ends, don't get that oily stuff on your boots. The liquid withdrawal valve probably leaks, most do. The relief valve may not work, or leak. Do not put any tank on asphalt pavement or you will test that relief. Lally columns set three feet deep will keep the kids from driving into the tank. Be sure the propane company will fill the thing when you are done. Most will want a gascheck check, the check you write to get checked. For small money, a propane company might swap out for a new tank. They like big tanks.

Boolit Master
    Did you open the spit valve to check for pressure? If you hook it up, your propane company will have to pressure check the system. What's the date of manufacture? I would replace all plumbing before going online.

Boolit Master
    .429&H110 i have a small vacuum pump I plan on using for this, its 5 com and would very slow, but will pull down to around 300 microns so it should do for dehydrating any moisture present. Good idea on putting hose on discharge of pump to get out of the area of shop, no neighbors around 1/4 miles to one tho, can’t smell any odorant but could be still flammable. Thanks that answers my question mainly about tank colapsing under a deep vacuum.
    Marlin39A yes I’m going to replace all plumbing valves and relief also the dip tube for filling my extra tanks. Tank date is 1965 good data plate with serial # readable. And yes they will charge 59$ for leak test rules is rules and I follow the rules.

Boolit Grand Master
    I used to just fill them up with water to purge contents. seal the bottom drain - fill it to overflowing - voila

Boolit Master
    After having hauled propane a day or two and delivered to the home, it was always to my understanding the only reason to put a vacum on was to open the pores in the steel in order for the oderant to absorb.
    There should be a liquid and a vapor fitting on the tank. You should, but don't have to hook them both up. When you are pumping the liquid in, the vapor pressure will return to the truck.
    All you are burning on most homes is the vapor off of the top any way.

What ever you do not put water in it, that is silly.
    If it has been sitting for a long time with little or no pressure, changing all the fittings NOW could save you in the long run. Beware some tanks have liquid and vapor discharge fittings. You don't want to hook a liquid valve up to a vapor regulator. It will freeze it up and not work.

Folks want to make a big deal out of these as far as working on them. A small amount of common sense goes a long way. I have worked on hundreds if not into the thousands of LP tanks from 3lb bottles to 20K tanks. They all work the same for the most part.

Boolit Master
    I worked out of White River Vt half my life. One highpoint was the competitors had a 1000 gallon up on a sawhorse painting it in their shop. Tank rolled off broke the valve and lit. Call came on my radio, so we all gathered across the street to watch the 20K tank relieve. Fire department got enough water on it so we didn't get the big blivy. Some small ones, though. Hats off to a fire dept that will show up to a propane plant fire! Noone hurt, some appliances lost, so our whole showroom got a markup. I like propane service, A/C pays better though.

Boolit Master
    Yep i found out that 1000 gallon tank weights right at 2000# empty, that’s why mine is setting on concrete blocks and not cinder blocks, big difference in weight empty to 80% full.

Okay I'm still confused.

If it's got propane in it... and you're going to put propane in it... what's the problem?
    Former cylindersmith.

Boolit Master
    It doesn’t have propane in it, just wet air from sitting for long time in someone’s yard. I’m cleaning it out to get ready for future storage of summer price propane storage. I pressured it up today and found multi-purpose vapor vent valve and large fill valve double checks are leaking at 10# PSI. Will need kits to rebuild these and get leak free before pulling a deep vacuum to try and get any moisture and all air out before filling with propane vapor.

Boolit Master
    Yessir! get her done! If only more pilot lighters were as good as you. Had a lot of temporary rubber air hoses hooked to propane "Until I can get the ditch dug". A construction site in winter went cold, so I showed up, trudging through the snow my boots were smoking. Lull ran over the rubber lines, under the snow...I was wading through liquid propane under the snow. The fire dept -love those guys- washed all the snow away, no more propane. One spark and I woulda been lighting pilots in Hell, wasn't saved way back then. Lord smiled, I wasn't smoking a cigarette. Just had put one out.

Boolit Master
    I lit an exhaust from a large vacuum pump once from a decaying absorption unit, didn’t know it was full of hydrogen, bout messed my britches when a 6 ft. Flame appeared and went back toward pump
    LOL didn’t do that again.

Boolit Master
    Got leaking valves rebuilt and installed, pressured to 17# psi, ran out of day light, and air. Will start again to reach 100# psi, then blow pressure and evacuate with vacuum pump to rid of all air and moisture. Then should take about 4 gallon of propane to bring up to atmo. Still need a 1st stage regulator and will be ready for storage.

Boolit Master
    FYI, if you are putting air in it from a compressor with no air dryer, you are putting moisture in it for sure.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast