Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: lee precision or ...

Boolit Master

It doesn't equate to tool snobbery if the device is supposed to have a .308" hole in it but has a .311" hole instead. That is simply what you get sometimes with "price-point" gear. Lee quality is hit-and-miss. That's just how it is. It's not snobbery (or Lee bashing) to be real about that fact. NOE sizing bushings are precisely the hole size that is ordered. Further, it is more economical to outfit the drawer with a set of NOE sizing bushings and one die than it would be to outfit with a similar number of Lee sizing dies. Not snobbery. Just how it is.

Boolit Master
    Sir, are you referring to a Lee sizer for sizing a cast bullet? I will gladly call Lee for you and explain the problem and ask that they measure and verify the size that you want. Then I will ship it to you for the amount of the postage. The die is on me. PM me if you would like to do this.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by airone46 View Post
    The problem is not the $ 16 dollars of the sizer, nor where to buy a new sizer, nor what kind of sizer to buy, nor how much to spend !!! The problem is the lack of interest on the part of Lee, and wanting to be right at all costs, proposing unrealistic solutions (= take me for my a * s)!: Groner:
    I live in Sicily, my daughter in Milan (she left already early this morning!).
    So either I sent to my daughter, and then my daughter from N.Y. shipped to Hartford (total cost around $ 29.01), or I shipped directly to Hartoford ($ 96.51).
    The first solution was less expensive, but my daughter DOES NOT WANT to waste time shipping! And he is not wrong! It only stops a week!
    I must coat bulletts with epoxid powder + electrostatic gun, and for this reason I exclude a lube and size (I have 410 lube and size for 50 years: but is LYMAN no LEE!).
    I practice as a surgeon in Emergency Surgery: do you think I can not spend a few euros and buy a new one? If I buy ONE pizza to eat at my house, I spend MUCH more! And I ate MANY more pizzas than sizer has ever bought!
    But I can not stand being taken for a ride!
    I can spend thousands of dollars with great indifference, but sometimes I get my head cut off for a cent!
    I'm with you, brother. Except for the part about spending thousands with indifference!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    It doesn't equate to tool snobbery if the device is supposed to have a .308" hole in it but has a .311" hole instead. That is simply what you get sometimes with "price-point" gear. Lee quality is hit-and-miss. That's just how it is. It's not snobbery (or Lee bashing) to be real about that fact. NOE sizing bushings are precisely the hole size that is ordered. Further, it is more economical to outfit the drawer with a set of NOE sizing bushings and one die than it would be to outfit with a similar number of Lee sizing dies. Not snobbery. Just how it is.
    This.

Boolit Buddy
    I think "MDI" is wrong (I do not want to offend you !!!)!
    I repeat: I am not a LEE HATER! And I repeat that I have LOTS of Lee!
    He's right Green Fog when he quotes "Murphy's Law" but I would speak instead of "Probability Calculus"
    For example, if someone buys a single item, it is unlikely that the item is faulty. But if someone buy MANY items instead, then the chances of having an inconvenience increase!
    Omega is also right: Lee makes decent products, and they work (some good, others less well, but they work!). This don't are like Redding, but this do not cost as much as Redding!
    I repeat: I commissioned for my K 31 a mold .312 (MOLD DC CTL312-160-2R) + sizer .308, and when after some time I want to use it, I realize it is a .311!
    I do not know who made the mistake: the package is written .308, but on the item is written .311 (too big for a K 31!). I measure, and the gauge gives me the measure .311 !!!
    Of course with a pack that can be opened and closed easily, an exchange of items can happen!
    If Lee had made sealed packages, people would have seen if the package had been opened before being sold! And for Lee the cost is the same!
    The retailer tells me to contact the manufacturer, because he had ordered the item exclusively at my request!
    In truth, I do not think the exchange was made by the local seller! Rather than Lee was wrong to pair sizers with a label! but everything can happen!
    You know the rest!
    Lee could have sent the sizer to the hotel where my daughter is staying (Brownell did it with the new order!), And as I have already explained the cost would be a few dollars: less than he could have earned, if he had not neglected the client!
    In fact I immediately canceled the Collet Lee die for the 7.5x55 Swiss, and I replaced it with a REDDING neck sizer!

I repeat: it is about 60 years that I reload. And so many times I bought in the USA. Occasionally for the "Murphy's law" the toast fell to the ground on the buttered side! But never, until now with Lee! Simply that the other manufacturers have always helped me, sending me ALWAYS the items in Italy, and not to N.Y., as Lee could have done very well!

PS Maybe I'm O.T. ! Do I have to open another post?
    But I have a Lee sizer for my Benelli 30 Luger.
    On the box there is written "30 LUGER"

but on the sizer and on the leaflet there is written .309:

can I use this sizer for the K 31?
    Strange! "30 Luger" is written on the package but there is no "SIZER 30 LUGER" in the Lee catalog

Boolit Grand Master

SKU: 90038 is listed as .309 in Lee’s catalog. That tag is obviously from the retailer since it has price in euros on it.

Boolit Buddy
    I think that has been said enough, and that the time has come to close the post (at least on my part)!
    $ 16 are not worth the time that I spent!

I thank everyone for participating in the discussion.

Now there are answers that the translator of my computer does not make me understand well!
    I sell (or gift) my .311 and I buy a .308: it's the simplest and hurried thing!
    Before buying, however, I will make a cast of the barrel of my K 31 to see the exact diameter. It may be better to buy a .307!
    Lee's behavior reminds me so much of Genesis 12-50, where Isaù sold the birthright for a MIXED LENTIL DISH!

LEE GOOD APPETITE! I hope you drown with these lentils!

But has any of you ever had a similar treatment on the part of Lee?

Boolit Master
    I just received Lee mould handles, they don't fit a new RCBS mould because one side of the handles is much too thick. The other half fits.

This doesn't surprise me much at all,for the price I happily grind some material away. I never thought to bother about warranty for the price of any Lee,I'm prepared to play machinist with Lee products. EG polishing dies is a routine. I have quite a bit of Lee equipment - and I just ordered two more Lee moulds from Titan. Heck, for $15 each I will make them work. On the other hand,a €160 RCBS mould I expect to be right,which it is.

NOE ships internationally,I just got some expander plugs. They are so exact you can calibrate your micrometer with them.

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    The OP started out complaining about Lee products; "LEE IMPRECISION ". It took a while to explain the costs involved in getting reloading tools to Italy. I think his main thought was complaining about an inanimate object, a tool that has been used by hundreds of thousands f reloaders million of times successfully, for whatever reason. I call a post like this from a "Lee Hater".

My last 25 years I worked as a heavy duty constriction equipment mechanic/electrician, working on every thing from a chain saw to a 26 ton hydro crane. I saw "tool snobbery" and haters quite often. Those that bought tools because their favorite TV motorcycle builder used them or their favorite NASCAR racer/pit crew was sponsored by them ("If it ain't Snap-ON [or MAC, OTC, etc.] it's junk", or "Only a fool would buy Craftsman [or Proto, etc])"). I have tools by most manufacturers from Craftsman up to Snap-ON, MAC, MATCO, OTC, Williams, and several purpose built tools by equipment manufacturers ( special tools for Toyota diesel forklifts, special sockets for removal of starter on Detroit engines, etc.), and I most often choose tools by how well they work. Maybe I have no problems because of my background; I know how to use hand tools...
    I think you are just overly sensitive and unfair to the poster. Facts are .311 isn't .308 and Lee balked at correcting it. The wrong size has nothing to do with "knowing how to use hand tools" or "tool snobbery". Maybe you can wave a magic wand and make .311 work but I doubt it.

Boolit Grand Master

The only time that I tried to get help from Lee I was disappointed. I don't consider myself to be a Lee basher but they were less than helpful.

Boolit Man
    I just hope that our friend in Italy is able to get what he needs to provide for his K31! Lee or otherwise. The man's rifle needs to be fed!
    SAF Patron (Life) | GOA (Life) | NRA Benefactor (Life) | MSRPA (Life)

On some of the older rifles the inside bore required a .311 diameter bullet. 308 came later and there are more guns chambered for .308 than older cartridges like the .303 British that required .311 diameter bullets.

Lee did not make an inferior product.

You did not know what to buy.

Make sure the die your daughter returns with is for a .308 diameter bullet, not a .311 diameter bullet.

Lee has different part numbers for the different sizes.
    ,,, stupidity comes to some people very easily. 8/22/2017 Pat Lengyel (my wife) in a discussion about Liberals.

Boolit Master
    The part number "LEE90038" in the OP's pic of the container is for a 0.309" sizing die.
    https://www.titanreloading.com/lee-p...ing-sizing-kit

If you don't know the bore diameter and have not yet slugged the bore, I would suggest you buy the smallest size available (90037/0.308") and you can lap it out to whatever you determine you need.
    jmo,

Boolit Master

everyone can choose what they like, for me the choice is always OR, when it comes to lee items.

Boolit Buddy
    In Italy there is a proverb: "Who finds a friend, finds a treasure".
    I gave the sizer to a person who needed it, and so with a few dollar item ... I made a friend and found a treasure!

I sent the link of this thread to Lee, who still does not care about his customers! He only objected to not having published the text of the e-mails between me and Mr. Peter in full on the forum! (e-mail of 29 October)
    I replied to Lee that it seemed useless to do LONG discussions for a $ 16 item! Besides, I only told the truth, even though I summarized what happened with a few words! I finished my e-mail with Lee, telling them that they could do it very well if they thought I had written untrue things!

For this post, I realize I can not translate correctly: in fact, some give irrelevant answers!
    FOR THE LAST TIME, I try to explain what happened:
    1) - I bought, for my K 31, a sizer Lee .308 (about $ 16), but doing repeated measurements with an EXCELLENT caliber (Tesa - Swiss! -), I realized that the measure was wrong: .311 instead that .308, and I reported this to Lee. Lee wrote to send the sizer, even if I live in Italy. I replied that the shipping cost would have been much higher than the cost of the sizer; even if I had lived in the USA it would have been convenient to ship (around $ 10!). I have pointed out that, in cases similar to this, other MUCH more serious firms (RCBS, Lyman, Redding, CH-4 Tools) shipped to the client's home without claiming the return. Lee never responded to this observation of mine!
    The purpose of my thread was to highlight this kind of assistance from Lee, since I had read of similar complaints with Lee's items.
    In the end I wrote that this topic was closed for me!

2) - Since I have another sizer Lee .309 (for my Benelli Super Sport 30 Luger) I asked if I could use this sizer .309 for my K 31. Surely I made the mistake of not opening a new post ! For this reason, MOLTI give irrelevant answers, also because I can not express myself correctly!
    FOR EXAMPLE:
    - Lee did not make an inferior product. (I did not say that!) I said that Lee sold me a sizer, 311 instead of the .308 that I had ordered!)
    You did not know what to buy. (I know very well what I want: a sizer .308 !!!)

Boolit Master
    airone46
    I sympathise with your problems importing goods into the EU from the US.

I no longer buy anything direct from the US, as the costs and delays to finally get my hands on the goods was crazy.

For example, I bought a Grip-N-Pull bullet puller and by the time it actually arrived, the cost had risen by over 75% of the original purchase price thanks to import taxes and VAT, plus it was held up in UK customs for 6 weeks!

I load 17 calibres all with Lee products, apart from a couple of M dies and I use a Classic turret press.

I still have my Lyman Spartan Press that I started out with many years ago, which I use mainly for bullet sizing with Lee push through sizers.

I have to state that I have been fortunate that none of my Lee products have ever been a problem.

I am fortunate that there is a main distributor for Lee products here in the UK www.henrykrank.com who stocks the whole range of Lee products.

Brands such as Lyman RCBS and Hornady are very expensive compared to Lee in the UK, you can argue that you get what you pay for but for example, when a Lee lead dipper costs £6-80 and the RCBS equivalent costs £31-50, you can see why Lee products are popular over this side of the pond.

While the UK is still in the EU, you might want to browse the Henry Krank website as you should be able to purchase from them without import tariffs.

ukrifleman.

Boolit Grand Master

I wonder if all the Hoop-La would show up if the OP said "my Lyman (or RCBS, Hornady, etc.) die is junk and doesn't give me what I think i should have". There IS a too snobbery running around in reloading forums today and all one has to do is put "Lee" in a post and the haters crawl out to contribute their vitriol. I have been using Lee Precision products since 1969, along with most other current and defunct reloading tool manufacturers, and when I try to duplicate most of the "problems" haters post about, I am unable, unless I try to use the tool like a caveman. I have been using tools since I was 10 when I started working on autos (my father was a mechanic and I was allowed to help doing small jobs) and with the exception of a few stints in other vocations, I've been a machinist/mechanic for over 55 years. Perhaps because of my background I know how to use tools as they are designed to be used, and Lee tools have preformed just like they were designed, from my first Lee Loader to my Lee turret to my Lee Bench prime. Perhaps the OP is not familiar with measuring as used in casting (like a lot of fellers try to measure small IDs with calipers or sizing cast bullets for an unknown bore dimension) or understand the physical characteristics of lead/lead alloys (not every alloy pushed through a .308" hole will stay .308"). Reports of interactions with a service rep are totally subjective as we only hear the plaintiff's side of the story.

Then there are the "weak minded" that will jump on any bandwagon that "seems" to be popular. The minor league Lee haters that just parrot what they've read. Those wanting to "fit in" or sound "cool"...

One thing, like it or not about these Lee bashing threads; Lee gets a ton of free advertising...

One thing I agree with the OP on is it's time to put this session of Lee Bashing to bed, more will appear later I'm sure... I'm done.
    Last edited by mdi; 11-03-2018 at 12:42 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately I believe that Italy is the country where the reloading items are the most expensive in the world!
    In fact, the sizer .308 from henry Krank costs £ 22, 20 + SHIPPING !!!(= € 25.31, in Italy from Brownell it costs € 36.90 (+ 45% !!!).
    With these prices, rather than shipping, one should talk about SHEEPING. It is necessary to be SHEEPS in order not to rebel against all these taxes: but not a simple rebellion, but a real FRENCH REVOLUTION with guillotine and cutting of ... very many heads!
    I have the opportunity to buy from Brownell USA or from other retailers, my daughter or my son-in-law (is from Phoenix), and then they bring them to me when they return to Italy, as "GIFT" or as "USED": so I pay neither taxes nor transport!
    Or there are US dealers who put a much lower price on the bill, just to sell!
    It is right to pay taxes, but not when they are so high, or when they are calculated for example on the whole transport!
    Brownell Italia is the only store that can supply many items, which otherwise would not be possible to buy!
    For example, I am retired: on my pension I pay almost 50% tax (in addition to taxes on the houses I own!). Then when I want to spend the money of my pension on which I have already paid 50% tax, I have to pay other taxes (VAT from 22% up): and what's left of me?
    In the Middle Ages the serfs paid their lord "LA DECIMA (=THE TENT ???)" (10%): now in Italy we are even worse than then!

Boolit Master
    MDI
    Some of us have been reloading longer than you and have been tool users longer than you. I have a lot more time and experience in precision machining -45 years of it. I started reloading before LEE made any tools except whack a moles. I have a lot more equipment than you have and I have had my share of Lee defects. So I don't use Lee products without careful consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I wonder if all the Hoop-La would show up if the OP said "my Lyman (or RCBS, Hornady, etc.) die is junk and doesn't give me what I think i should have". There IS a too snobbery running around in reloading forums today and all one has to do is put "Lee" in a post and the haters crawl out to contribute their vitriol. I have been using Lee Precision products since 1969, along with most other current and defunct reloading tool manufacturers, and when I try to duplicate most of the "problems" haters post about, I am unable, unless I try to use the tool like a caveman. I have been using tools since I was 10 when I started working on autos (my father was a mechanic and I was allowed to help doing small jobs) and with the exception of a few stints in other vocations, I've been a machinist/mechanic for over 55 years. Perhaps because of my background I know how to use tools as they are designed to be used, and Lee tools have preformed just like they were designed, from my first Lee Loader to my Lee turret to my Lee Bench prime. Perhaps the OP is not familiar with measuring as used in casting (like a lot of fellers try to measure small IDs with calipers or sizing cast bullets for an unknown bore dimension) or understand the physical characteristics of lead/lead alloys (not every alloy pushed through a .308" hole will stay .308"). Reports of interactions with a service rep are totally subjective as we only hear the plaintiff's side of the story.

Then there are the "weak minded" that will jump on any bandwagon that "seems" to be popular. The minor league Lee haters that just parrot what they've read. Those wanting to "fit in" or sound "cool"...

One thing, like it or not about these Lee bashing threads; Lee gets a ton of free advertising...

One thing I agree with the OP on is it's time to put this session of Lee Bashing to bed, more will appear later I'm sure... I'm done.
    EDG

Boolit Master

one sure guarantee when lee is discussed, its gonna turn into a pissin' match! if you like lee stuff, use . more power to you. i personally dislike lee, my opinion, my choice. if you feel the need to whine about my choice, you got more problems than lee being your tool choice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast