MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: lee precision or ...

Boolit Buddy

lee precision or ...

LEE IMPRECISION

Goodmorning everyone!
    As you know, I write from Italy and my English is bad, but even worse is the English translator of my computer!

I write to report the very critical assistance of LEE precision, or rather LEE IMPRECISION!

I buy a bullet sizer .308 for my K 31.
    After some problems with items LEE, I check the diameter and, instead of .308, the diameter is well .311.
    Definitely high for my weapon!
    I write to LEE IMPRECISION and they reply to me to send the bullet sizer!
    SHIP FROM ITALY ???
    I see the cost of shipping, and the smallest cost I find is € 36.21 (= $ 41.27)
    At the end of the month my daughter will be at N.Y. : if she buy it in the US the cost is $ 16.09 (Midway USA): she could bring it to me when she return to Italy!
    Or I buy it at my city for € 35 !!!

I see in other posts that some items of the LEE IMPRECISION do not work well!

It happened to me to have some little inconveniences with Redding, RCBS, CH-4 Tools and Lyman (I am 73 years old, and my first shotgun I was 13 years old! I reload for 60 years, and I have still my first SPARTAN press and 310 Lyman tool, with 222 R. dies!): but these firms seem to be another planet if you compare to Lee! They always replaced the faulty and wrong piece without asking me anything!

At this point I make a small bill: if Midway sells for $ 16.09, the item will cost to Lee a couple of dollars at most! Instead of in Italy, they can send my daughter to N.Y., and the cost does not exceed $ 10!

A FISTFULL OF DOLLARS .... and have lost a customer forever!

PS I measured the diameter NOT with a chinoiserie, but with a caliber of the Swiss TESA!
    I think the error is due to the fact that someone put a bullet sizer .311 in a package with the wording .308 !!!

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!

My daughter ordered a Lee collet 7.5x55 SWISS: she canceled the order IMMEDIATELY and she buy a REDDING neck sizer

Banned

I feel bad for you. If you live outside the U.S. it may make sense to avoid some of the Lee products as the shipping is crazy for such a small part. I would get my Sizers from NOE if he will ship to Europe.

Boolit Grand Master
    My answer to the title, “Lee Precision or... is generally to go with the “or.” The exceptions would occur if the price is so completely different or if there some special feature for the Lee product, I’ll buy it, but adjust my expectations downward accordingly. I don’t know what availability of reloading equipment is like in Italy, but I would be looking for a Lyman or RCBS combination sizer and lubricator if I were going to do this task on a lot of bullets. As for them wanting to ship the defective part back to the US on your dime... could you go to your local seller instead? I’m not surprised that they don’t want to just send you merchandise on the strength of an e-mail. Good luck with your problem, and in your situation, if I just had to have a lee sizing die, I’d just cut my losses and have the daughter bring another part as she comes back... but maybe test it for correctness while it’s still in the US!

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I'm not a big fan of Lee.
    I find a lot of 'Issues' in materials & machining, fit & finish is often poor.

The one thing Lee did get right (but named wrong) was the first generation 'Turret' (tool head) press.
    That press is stupid handy.
    You still needed to drill the head for thumb screws to hold the tool head inserts in place, but it is stupid fast & easy operate.

The 'Factory Crimp' die works pretty good, but it could be better made.
    For the price it's hard to beat.

And before the Lee fans go off, I've owned about all their presses, and I still have a Load Master that has never worked correctly from day one...
    No matter how much tuning, tinkering, returns to Lee, it's simply never worked correctly.
    I keep it as an example of what NOT to buy, and when someone starts talking about Lee progressives, I park them in front of it for about an hour, that's usually enough...

Boolit Master

It happens, with most any brand. All the sizers I have from lee were what was marked on the package, though I have opened up a few. My question is, where did you buy the sizer from in the first place? I'd start with them first, since they should make it right for you. Being outside CONUS you are handicapped by postage, sucks for sure. Are there no Italian or other European companies that make reloading supplies?

I've had good luck with Lee products for the most part, arguably not the best maybe, but will do the job. I still use a Lee turret press and more than a few of their other products because they work, and work good.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    Unfortunately, in Italy nobody produces reloading equipment!

We are forced to buy from importers who, without any justification, double or triple the prices. Add then taxes (VAT, customs, etc.) shipping + TAXES ON SHIPPING (absurd !!!) and at the end prices go up to the stars!
    Local sellers, then, if there is something wrong, they lose interest in the problem, and send you back to the Builder!
    And thank goodness that the Builders are in America and not on the Moon!

For this reason, since my daughter is married to a Phoenix engineer, her relatives buy in the USA, and then she brings them to me as a gift when she returns to Italy.

For this reason I can only buy items that can be exported and that do not weigh much!

Generally if you buy serious Constructors items, there are no problems!

An example: I buy at STITRA (italian seller) the dies CH-4 TOOLS for 9x18 ULTRA.
    They arrive after 3/4 months, but the shell holder is for another caliber. The Italian importer STITRA, after having pocketed MANY MANY money, says that he can not do anything about it, and that I must address CH-4 TOOL. Good thing that CH-4 is not like Lee IMPRECISION! He immediately sends me the appropriate shell holder, but after about two months this still does not arrive! I write and immediately send me another shell holder, which comes to me after about 15 days. But after almost a week I get the FIRST shell holder. I write if they want it back, but they answer me that I can hold it back!
    Yet a CH4D shell holder costs almost as much as a Lee bullet sizer!
    The other manufacturers were content with a simple photo, even the value of the goods was more than 16 MISERABLE dollars

there is a proverb from us: "Who pays first, eats stinking fish" (that is, if you pay in advance you receive goods that are not good!) And unfortunately if I want something I must necessarily pay in advance and hope for Divine Providence!

Boolit Man
    I'd say put Lee on your do not buy list and move on. You aren't alone.

Have your daughter pick up an RCBS set and bring it back to you. You'll be happier in the long run even at the additional price. My experience has been that Lee is ok for some items...but not everything. I've never had a bad RCBS die set yet.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by redhawk0 View Post
    Have your daughter pick up an RCBS set and bring it back to you. You'll be happier in the long run even at the additional price. My experience has been that Lee is ok for some items...but not everything. I've never had a bad RCBS die set yet.

redhawk
    Then he would need a Lube-a-Matic too right?
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Buddy
    I have some Lee and MANY MANY MANY equipment Redding, RCBS CH.4D, LYMAN.
    Some Lee equipment is fine, others ...

I remember a joke:
    "Two old friends, John and Tom, meet after a long time." John asks the other:
    How does your wife love? And Tom: Mah! There are those who say well, and some say it wrong! "
    (I hope my translator computer has translated well!)

Lee's items are like Tom's wife! A PUTTANATA (= ***** ???? RUBBISH ???)!

YOU GIVE WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
    You can not take Kelly Brook or Manuela Arcuri out for dinner, and spend ONE DOLLAR!

Boolit Grand Master

Wow! An Italian Lee Hater. I have been using Lee tools since 1969 when I started reloading with a Lee Loader. I have not had any problems that some complain about (life long machinist/mechanic, and I know how to use tools as they are designed). I had one real problem with Lee tools/equipment; a 45 ACP powder through die had a small step in the expander section and would not flare the case mouth enough for cast bullets.

I have 2 Lee presses, mebbe 13 die sets, 14 molds, and perhaps a dozen assorted tools, and I have not been able to replicate some of the problems Lee Haters come up with when I use the tools properly. Just because someone reloads does not mean he has any mechanical ability/aptitude. Some guys can't even use a hammer correctly...

I remember my Daddy saying to me when I had a problem when working on mybike (age 12), "First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool".
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I have Lyman 410 Lube and Sizer for 38/357.
    With the 7.5x55 Swiss I shot a little and then I bought an electrostatic gun, and for this reason I do not need to lube!
    And then at .308 Lyman Lube and Sizer Die costs around $ 24, the lee about $ 16!

In Italy we say: The more you spend, the less you spend!
    Holy words!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega View Post
    Then he would need a Lube-a-Matic too right?
    Oh my error...I just re-read the original post....I misinterpreted his needs. I thought he was talking about the sizer button in the sizing die.

Yes...about the only thing that would help here is a new push through sizer of the correct diameter.

Sorry about the misinterpretation.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Wow! An Italian Lee Hater. I have been using Lee tools since 1969 when I started reloading with a Lee Loader. I have not had any problems that some complain about (life long machinist/mechanic, and I know how to use tools as they are designed). I had one real problem with Lee tools/equipment; a 45 ACP powder through die had a small step in the expander section and would not flare the case mouth enough for cast bullets.

I have 2 Lee presses, mebbe 13 die sets, 14 molds, and perhaps a dozen assorted tools, and I have not been able to replicate some of the problems Lee Haters come up with when I use the tools properly. Just because someone reloads does not mean he has any mechanical ability/aptitude. Some guys can't even use a hammer correctly...

I remember my Daddy saying to me when I had a problem when working on mybike (age 12), "First, ya gotta be smarter than the tool".
    I am not an ITALIAN LEE HATER !!!
    In fact I have several die, molds and one Turret Press Lee
    I have already said that in 60 years of activity as a reloader, it is possible to have some small problem!
    Simply that Lee, for $ 16, has sought so many excuses that made their proposals stupid and unacceptable. Instead the other companies have solved every problem even for MUCH more expensive items!

PS my first press? Spartan press! My first dies? Lyman and 310 Tool and dies! My first sizer? Lyman 410!
    So I was only 13 years old! Then I grew up and I earned more money!
    So .... my second press? Redding Ultramag! My second dies? Redding Competition, RCBS Competition, CH 4D, Hornady items!
    Then I became OLD! So I bought the houses for my daughters, the new cars for my wife and my three daughters, and finally I bought the Turret, Lee and mold dies!
    In the end I almost finished paying houses and cars, and I bought again RCBS, Redding, Hornady!
    I hope I have made clear the meaning of my speech!

Boolit Grand Master
    Airone46, in view of this experience you are having with Lee, and the conditions placed on commerce by your location, you may wish to re-examine your strategy and pay (in the US via your daughter) the somewhat greater price for a Lyman or RCBS sizing die for your existing lubri-sizing press. If it’s a Lyman, either brand of dies will fit it. If you simply must have a Lee push-through sizing die, perhaps your daughter could bring the return (wrong size) die as she comes to the US next time and send it in from “locally” for much less money. In these days of instant access to vendors via Amazon and other internet vendors, sometimes we expect everyone to always have have the same conveniences we do... forgive me if my suggestions are unsatisfactory, but I’m just attacking your problem the way I would if I were in your position. I too have used reloading equipment for many years (about 45 or so) and know that if you buy and use enough stuff something is bound to be wrong or not work. Here we attribute it to “Murphy’s Law” and just try to move on. Again, I wish you luck.

Green Frog
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post

A good mechanic told me a long time ago that if a toolmaker didn't think enough of their tools to warranty them for life, I shouldn't think enough of them to buy them. Also that you can tell a lot about a mechanic by the tools he uses.

Boolit Buddy
    The problem is not the $ 16 dollars of the sizer, nor where to buy a new sizer, nor what kind of sizer to buy, nor how much to spend !!! The problem is the lack of interest on the part of Lee, and wanting to be right at all costs, proposing unrealistic solutions (= take me for my a * s)!: Groner:
    I live in Sicily, my daughter in Milan (she left already early this morning!).
    So either I sent to my daughter, and then my daughter from N.Y. shipped to Hartford (total cost around $ 29.01), or I shipped directly to Hartoford ($ 96.51).
    The first solution was less expensive, but my daughter DOES NOT WANT to waste time shipping! And he is not wrong! It only stops a week!
    I must coat bulletts with epoxid powder + electrostatic gun, and for this reason I exclude a lube and size (I have 410 lube and size for 50 years: but is LYMAN no LEE!).
    I practice as a surgeon in Emergency Surgery: do you think I can not spend a few euros and buy a new one? If I buy ONE pizza to eat at my house, I spend MUCH more! And I ate MANY more pizzas than sizer has ever bought!
    But I can not stand being taken for a ride!
    I can spend thousands of dollars with great indifference, but sometimes I get my head cut off for a cent!

Boolit Master

I can relate. I'm 0/2 on Lee bullet sizers.

I can say with great confidence that if NOE can get their sizing die to you, that the sizing bushing that you order will be in the size specified. ALL of my NOE bullet sizing bushings are sized properly. Their die is compatible with the red Lee collection container.

Boolit Grand Master

The OP started out complaining about Lee products; "LEE IMPRECISION ". It took a while to explain the costs involved in getting reloading tools to Italy. I think his main thought was complaining about an inanimate object, a tool that has been used by hundreds of thousands f reloaders million of times successfully, for whatever reason. I call a post like this from a "Lee Hater".

My last 25 years I worked as a heavy duty constriction equipment mechanic/electrician, working on every thing from a chain saw to a 26 ton hydro crane. I saw "tool snobbery" and haters quite often. Those that bought tools because their favorite TV motorcycle builder used them or their favorite NASCAR racer/pit crew was sponsored by them ("If it ain't Snap-ON [or MAC, OTC, etc.] it's junk", or "Only a fool would buy Craftsman [or Proto, etc])"). I have tools by most manufacturers from Craftsman up to Snap-ON, MAC, MATCO, OTC, Williams, and several purpose built tools by equipment manufacturers ( special tools for Toyota diesel forklifts, special sockets for removal of starter on Detroit engines, etc.), and I most often choose tools by how well they work. Maybe I have no problems because of my background; I know how to use hand tools...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

This is much to do about nothing IMO, the real complaint is about perceived bad customer service. If the sizer had been the correct size, would we still be having this conversation? I dare say, no. I understand, and agree that maybe, Lee should have just sent a new sizer and been done with it, but their margin is such that they probably can't have this kind of policy. The challenge for our overseas brethren is shipping, and in some cases export restrictions, that is not a fault of the company/manufacturer, it is what it is. So while Lee is inexpensive they make some decent products, some are better than others but they all work. It is no accident that they have been in business for so long, and probably will be for some time to come.
    ~Pericles~

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast