RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Please tell me why I should NOT buy a Tikka CTR!

Boolit Master

Please tell me why I should NOT buy a Tikka CTR!

Hey guys,
    over here in the EUdSSR guns are pretty expensive and gun possession isnīt easy.
    So you overthink twice or even more, before you buy a gun.

Iīm in the market for a .308 rifle and broke it down to the Tikka T3x CTR.
    Price point around 1.700 Euro, what is about 1.900 bucks+.

Please tell me why I should NOT buy that rifle.
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    Savage 12 is 1/3 the price. You will have money left over for optics.
    This is a good video on the savage and tika
    https://youtu.be/XQpBVmpk-Sc

Boolit Master
    You canīt have a Savage 12 with a magazine of 10 rounds over here, and even not in .308.

And it is pricey, too.
    "In lead we trust!"

I can't give you a reason NOT to buy a Tikka T3. I have T3 Hunters in 22-250, 25-06, & 8x57mm and each one is the most accurate rifle of that chambering that I have fired. The actions are smooth, the magazines work perfectly, and the triggers are amazing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Texas by god pretty much summed it up.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Made by SAKO, owned by BERETTA. What's not to like? In your situation the only other brand I would consider, would be CZ, (the CZECH CZ) but I don't know if they are available to you nor the cost.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    CZ is available and somewhat cheaper than the Tikkas.
    But as I only could have one, I think I would rather pay a bit more for the better rifle.
    Would you say, that CZs and Tikkas are on the same level?

I have owned some CZ pistols and do have a 22lr rifle, the CZ 455, which are pretty good and a good bang-for-the-buck, but I wouldnīt consider them as high level weapons.

Are CZs center fire rifles that much better than their other products?
    I mean Iīm leaning towards the Tikka, just asking if someone finds an argument that says to let the hands of their sticks.

Elsewhere I read something about a rust issue of their blacked barrels.
    Has anybody inhere had such experiences?
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If you want it, buy it. Simple as that!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Tikka would be my choice. I have a CZ and it is not as well made as Tikkas that I have handled.

Boolit Master
    the cz is a good rifle but imo its not on the same level as the tikka

Boolit Master
    Yes, thanks guys.

Tikka, Savage, CZ and Bergara have been on the table.
    All of them are good rifles, what I found out, hands down.

But finally after my research the Tikka was the only rifle which has a reputation where you canīt find any negative comment in the www.
    The mechanics, the finish, accuracy and sturdiness, only satisfied owners.
    The only one issue I could find, is that some of their blacked metall tends to rust easily.
    But not all of them, just a few.

So I wanted to hear if anybody finds me an argument NOT to buy a Tikka, because secondly it is the most pricey for me.
    But I donīt care for some coins more, rather than having later a rilfe which doesnīt make me happy.

Thanks again and best regards,
    God my bless you.
    "In lead we trust!"

Boolit Buddy
    Douglas Ridge Rifle Club, Eagle Creek, Oregon
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjay1 View Post
    You canīt have a Savage 12 with a magazine of 10 rounds over here, and even not in .308.

And it is pricey, too.
    Savage 12 magazines hold 4 rounds, and are currently $419 at cabelas which almost always over priced.

Btw I am saving for a tikka t3 tac a1 myself. I just can't decide if I want to go with the cheaper savage or continue saving towards $3000 for the tikka and some nice glass to go with it.
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVA...LE/1994604.uts
    https://www.cabelas.com/product/TIKK...LE/2508798.uts
    In the end just buy what you like.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by Chad5005 View Post
    the cz is a good rifle but imo its not on the same level as the tikka
    Would you please explain that statement? I have done a side by side comparison with them and really can't find a quality difference. Lots of feature differences that makes one preferable to a person over the other perhaps, but as far as ruggedness, accuracy and overall quality, I really didn't see enough difference to even mention.

To the OP, the way I read your posts I would say you really want the TIKKA regardless of where this discussion leads, (and there is certainly nothing wrong with the TIKKA) so just buy it and be done.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I had a CZ 550 American in 9.3x62mm. The quality and accuracy was first rate. It is a Mauser 98 pattern. Now they have a new push feed action and some tactical style rifles but I have no experience with them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Of course Iīm leaning towards the Tikka.
    Thatīs why I asked if you can tell me a reason why I should NOT buy one.

I was at a local gun dealer today and had the opportunity to handle a CZ Ranger Rifle and some Tikkas (Lites and a Varmint).
    All I can tell, is that the action of the Tikkas was smooth like butter, but the CZīs was not.
    You even could give the action of the Tikkas a light push and they slided forward.
    With the CZ the repeating felt very rough and if I wanted to cycle it fast it sometimes even jammed and blocked.
    The trigger was a bit better at the Tikkas in my opinion, but not a big difference.

I think I will go with the Tikka, kind of a "buy-once-cry-once"-thingy.

Thanks guys.
    "In lead we trust!"

I think I will go with the Tikka, kind of a "buy-once-cry-once"-thingy.

Thanks guys.
    But you knew that already .

Ive seen the CZ action not be ideal for fast cycling, especially compared to the Tikka. The Bergara you meantioned is also a very nice high quality rifle. On the Tikka, recall that you can always have it refinished!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Jayjay, you chose wisely. How long does the process to buy a rifle take over there, if you dont mind me asking?
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I've got a tikka t3 in 223 and a savage 116 in 308 .both are very accurate but the tikka has a better trigger and stiffer stock both are avaliable in lh versions .can you try before you buy ?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    How long does the process to buy a rifle take over there, if you dont mind me asking?
    Well, the question is what kind of weapon you want to buy.

Pistols and revolvers with case-ammunition and semi-auto-rifles are limited in two ways.
    Also is it different for sport shooters, hunters or collectors.

I will tell you from the sight of a sport shooter, what I am.

1. You have to request at the district office that you are willing to buy f.e. a pistol in caliber .45 ACP for this or that discipline in this or that shooting association.
    Then they proof if you are a criminal (background check at the local police, state attorney, courts and the federal archive of crimes), if you are a drinker, drug assist, a bullyboy or if you stood out because of agressive behaviour in traffic and so on, if you are a member of a forbidden party, club, terror community, etc..

(Btw., for any of those reasons you can lose all your weapons in just a second without getting any compensation.
    Thatīs why weapon owners over here are the most law-abiding citizens you can imagine, not that the green or lefts donīt want to abolish weapon possess all the time.
    In fact crimes with legal owned weapons go against zero, somewhat under 0,0xx% of violent felonies are done with legal weapons.)

But btt., if you already have such a weapon (you canīt have two of the same kind and caliber), if you are a regular member of an aproved shooting association, you have to verify that you are training frequently (confirmed through the director of your shooting club).
    That aproval can last between four weeks up to three months, depending on how fast your shooting association and district office etc.are working.

2. If you do already have more than two pistols or revolvers with case ammunition or at least more than three semi auto rifles, you must also verify that you are an active competition shooter, above club competitions (district, state or federal) every year, through won certificates.
    If you donīt buy new weapons this is controlled every three years, that means you have to aprove your competition participation.

After you are aproved and got the permission to buy the requested weapon, you must let it register (weapon manufacturer, sort of weapon, caliber, weapon number) through your district office in no later than 14 days.

If you want to buy another weapon than the ones above it is much easier.
    You have to run through that procedure under No. 1. once and get an "all-time-permission" for repeating rifles for example.
    If you have bought one, it is the same procedure for registering.

Sorry, but you have asked for.
    Last edited by jayjay1; 10-30-2018 at 07:27 AM.
    "In lead we trust!"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast