MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Papers

Papers

Tell me about Southworth 100% Cotton Resume Paper and 25% cotton paper.

Has anyone tried that?

What cotton content are we looking for?

What weight paper is it?
    The resume paper I've looked at recently is some pretty heavy stuff.

Info...
    http://www.paper-paper.com/weight.html

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. I wa thinking about going to good will and maybe finding an old dictionary. Many of those were printed on scritta paper.

Would not worry about it until perhaps Second Peter.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Bub
    Tractor feed paper right thickens and strength

Any paper with a 10 to 20% rag content will work, provided that it is the correct weight and thickness. Strathmore 20# tracing paper works quite well for me.
    Among the papers that are hard to roll with (especially when wet) are computer printer papers (no rag content), and notebook paper. Maybe I patch too wet, but I have a hard time with not tearing these when making the tail... Brodie

Boolit Master
    Old Coot. I just use what I have. {Green Bar printer paper.} It may not be the best patching paper. But it certainly isn't the worst.

There is not a thing wrong with Green Bar, one of the best. I didn't know you had any.
    I posted what I did because one of the first things people want to do is try all kinds of weird papers; cash register recipts, cigarette paper, just about anything you can think of. If you want to know what works read the stickies they contain some of the best info on this leg of our sport you will ever find. Brodie

Boolit Master
    I've successfully used various papers, some of which had no cotton content at all, like the aforementioned greenbar. The bond papers have less wet strength and are less tear resistant, but they can work very well. Patching technique varies, depending on the papers characteristics. Plain butcher paper works nicely, but is better misted damp with a sprayer to preserve some strentgth, rather than dipped in water which makes it fairly delicate. Cotton bearing papers tend to be tougher, which is a big help. You mention 100% cotton resume paper, but the commentary seems to suggest it's fairly thick. You might try 100% cotton drafting vellum. It has excellent wet strength and is available by the sheet, or by the roll if you're really into paper patching. check online or at art supply stores. It's usually .0025 thick but I've seen it .002 - .003, so take your dial calipers with you if you're looking for a specific thickness for your boolit. I don't let it trouble me, I wet wrap the casting, pulling as I go to get the ends to match up, adding a dab of white glue to the last 1/2" of patch to glue paper to paper and skip the tail. They'll shrink on as they dry. I then size to the finish diameter.

A possibly helpful link: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...t-the-paper-up

Another: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...gn+Vellum+Roll
    Last edited by yeahbub; 11-13-2018 at 10:01 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Has anyone tried Parchment Paper, it is found in the baking ection of many stores.
    Not that expensive, thin nut very tough.

Parchment paper is a non-stick paper used for baking (baking paper) so it might not stick to the boolit and to itself. It is grease proof so I would think it might not wet readily which would require dry wrapping. Maybe a dab of glue on the trailing edge corner would hold it together on the boolit. I do it like that anyway with just a small overhang. Actually, I run a bead of glue between the wraps on the overhang, which softens the paper making for a nice roll over the edge.

But the best (or only) way to find out is to try it. And since you've mentioned it, I'm going to try some (it's on the shopping list already).
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master

I picked up some strathmore recently from AC Moore and really like it.
    Wraps wet very nicely. Very easy to work with. I think it was about .002” thick or a little thinner.