MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad DataLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxWideners
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Cost of Your Mold Inventory

Boolit Grand Master

I started casting on my own in the 70's but I probably have fewer molds than many of you. I'm more likely to develop a pet load and stay with it than to have several molds per caliber. I would guess around $2000.

Not gonna go there...even I don't want to know.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I don't even want to think about it.
    Ditto...
    Echo
    USAF Ret
    DPS, 2600
    NRA Benefactor
    O&U
    One of the most endearing sights in the world is the vision of a naked good-looking woman leaving the bedroom to make breakfast. Bolivar Shagnasty (I believe that Lazarus Long also said it, but I can't find any record of it.)

Banned
    That is just an EVIL question

Moderator Emeritus

I'd guess somewhere between $2k and $5k, but they have been and will be continually amortized over the years to be $0k.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    When I first got into reloading, I was told to expect that the savings over commercial ammo would pay off the expense of the equipment over the next year. This turned out to be correct (I shoot 30 to 40 K rounds per year). I expect the same sort of thing for home cast boolits versus commercial cast.

Casting my own bullets just in the main caliber I reload for, I expect the primary mold paid for itself in the first couple thousand cast, and if I keep on casting and shooting, it will cover the outlay for the infrequently used molds as well. So, no qualms so far.

Sure, it's still an outlay, and totally discounts my time and effort, but I'm having fun.

Boolit Grand Master

I’d have to run a report in Quicken to see what I’ve spent. I will say I’m part of the NOE 1K club a few times over.

Boolit Master
    easily i've spent 30k on reloading....i've saved so.....uh......much that .....uh .....never mind.

Boolit Master
    With about 190 molds in my inventory (along with all of the other rubbish that comes along with this activity) I have more invested than I would ever tell. Yes it has been pricey to gather all of these. On the other hand, I just hope I get a "fair warning" notice before my time comes so I can manage their sale to new users. If I can be the seller, the original investment will be considered a loan from me to me for the time of having them, with the return of some of that investment. If I time out and don't sell them myself, the estate manager will probably move them off for cheap. Now that would really get me hacked off, if I were around to see it happen.

Boolit Master

you braggin or complaining?
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Thin Man View Post
    With about 190 molds in my inventory (along with all of the other rubbish that comes along with this activity) I have more invested than I would ever tell. Yes it has been pricey to gather all of these. On the other hand, I just hope I get a "fair warning" notice before my time comes so I can manage their sale to new users. If I can be the seller, the original investment will be considered a loan from me to me for the time of having them, with the return of some of that investment. If I time out and don't sell them myself, the estate manager will probably move them off for cheap. Now that would really get me hacked off, if I were around to see it happen.
    Just something to consider. My guns are in my will and I have a few lines suggesting stuff about my reloading tools, brass, and lead stash. Approximate value, places to sell, ect.

If I hadn't spent it for moulds I would have spent it somewhere else and prolly have nothing to show for it...
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    That is just an EVIL question
    Exactly. I can't believe you made us think about this.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    I don't even want to think about it.
    ^^^This!^^^ It only takes a few moulds in the $150-200 range (each) to a start adding up quickly, and although I’ve been relatively fortunate (and frugal) accumulating my few dozen moulds, replacement value would be daunting. I guess I would be more discriminating in which moulds I bought if I replaced my array... a bunch that seemed attractive at the time don’t get used, so would be unjustified to repurchase.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Being a mould junkie and having had the habit for 50 years....the idea of how much money I have spent on moulds just boogles my mind.

I'm not even sure how many moulds I have ....you put them up.....and then forget where dey at .

My children are going to be so disappointed in their inheritance ...it's not like all my "priceless" reloading stuff is actually worth anything .
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Good grief. I don't ever WANT to think about it! Whatever the total, I'm fairly sure it's somewhat more than I told the wife. Bad memory is to blame.

Then again, it would be asking my wife what she's spent on the horses and couple of the kids ponys over the years.

As moulds go, a guess would be in the four thousand range (over $2,000 with Noe alone) The rest of my reloading tooling is in the thousands. It's not a money saving thing for me, more of a collection hobby like model railroading but with better benefits. When the time comes, I'm counting on all of you to help the daughter turn this into an inheritance. There will be some nice stuff on our sales site. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    If I hadn't spent it for moulds I would have spent it somewhere else and prolly have nothing to show for it...
    Only been at this a year or so. Don't want to sound facetious but don't know don't care. Just hoping I have someone to pass it on to.

Boolit Master

Uh, let's see...sixteen molds in each tray and two...no, three...trays in the cabinet with sizer dies and NOE tools plus, maybe, a dozen Lee with handles on the peg board and those two Arsenal 4-holers I got last Spring and uh...

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Grand Master

As of today I’ve spent $2.91 per day on molds since I started buying them. I should have never done the calculation. Good news is that figure goes down every day if I don’t buy any more........and I’m signed up for at least five group buys. In some of them I’m buying two molds.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast