Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Total Cost of Your Mold Inventory

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance

Total Cost of Your Mold Inventory

Molds can be an expensive cost of reloading depending on the number of molds you have collected. How much have you paid for your total mold inventory?

I have not finished putting a dollar value to my mold inventory but so far the total value is $8206
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

not going there, my wife might see it.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

My latest inventory is 177. Several are rare; many are custom designs.
    Tony

Boolit Master
    Just got into casting, so only have 3 molds 1 was gifted and I purchased 2 more a 357 and a 223. Using the heck out of 2 of them tho.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    I don't even want to think about it.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master

Wow, don't even want to look at that. I've seen that NOE has the $1000 club, not there, not even close. Next you'll want us to add up our reloading presses, dies and trimming equipment, our powder measures and all the other things we just had to have. LOOK AT ALL THE MONEY I'M SAVING

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    No kidding!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Inventory on hand? Or monies spent over the years for items no longer owned.

$ amount doesn't matter because I'm saving so much by casting, gas checking, powder coating and sizing my own boolits.

How much have I spent? All of it. Whats it worth? priceless !

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    If I had to replace them ? There's 63 at an average cost of $65 , so $4095 plus handles @$25×14 is $350 .
    If they need to be liquidated , like I drop dead over breakfast in the morning they drop to $35 and 15 so about $2500 .

Due to some recent gifts , a couple of just absolutely screaming gunshow deals , and judicious buying , sales , discounts , a few just straight up theft at the asking price enhanced by an offer , and deals where I bought a 3-5 moulds at show for 1-2 I actually wanted and sold the rest below market ending up ahead and getting the moulds I wanted , I'd say I'm at about the liquidation value in outlay for them .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    If I told myself I'd have to beat myself. Fortunately most are older ones I bought in the 80s, had lots more income at that time.

Boolit Master
    I'd hate to do the math... For several reasons...
    Nozombies.com Practical Zombie Survival

Collecting .32 molds. Please let me know if you have one you don't need, cause I might "need" it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by rancher1913 View Post
    I don't have a wife to worry about, but I'm not going there because I might see it myself.

Robert

Boolit Master

When I think of all the money I have saved casting my own the cost must be $0.00
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Banned

Bingo
    Truth in sarcasm

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I am suffering from apathy & ignorance. I don't know and really don't care.

There was a different forum I look at from time to time and some guy put on there about the cost of each round and had it down to the penny.
    My response to the thread was that I have never really thought about it. To which I was castigated for not counting the cost of this hobby.

To which I asked the question, `How many bullets do you have to cast to pay for a mold?'
    Funny how that thread died.

My only concern is that if I have the money to buy a mold, primers, powder or lead, I buy it and if I don't, I wait until I do and get it. It is that simple.

Boolit Master

This is not really something I want to think about.... I am guessing I could sell them all for 4 to 5 thousand. I have several long out of production Ideals, Lymans and a few good Saeco's. But, I am not sure as I have not been buying more that 1 or 2 at a time and many where acquired when I worked gunshows with a buddy back in the late '80's to very early 2000's when good moulds showed up on tables.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Quote Originally Posted by pworley1 View Post
    When I think of all the money I have saved casting my own the cost must be $0.00
    Well ....... actually the 40 + boxes 45 Colts , 10 or so boxes of 45 S&W , 2 boxes of 264 WM , 2 boxes of 38 S&W , and 5 boxes of 32 Rem have probably more than paid for the gear , as the 32 Rem alone paid for 3 NOE 5C . 2 boxes of 264 paid for another . The 2 boxes of 38 short easily covered a couple Lee 6Cs and I only gave $30 for the 8C H&G . The H&G did look like it had been laying in the bottom of a John Deere engine compartment for about 2 yr though so you know I could have just as easily been out $30 .
    I was gifted a 4C 25 cal Lyman so that was paid for before I turned on the pot . There are at least 6-7 moulds that were the result of buying 3-4 moulds for $20-25 to get 1 I wanted and sell the others for $25 ea shipped . A bargain for a 50 yr old still factory packed Ohaus mould by the way .
    I know that on the $2500 or so outlay I've loaded well over 15,000 rounds with probably 5,000 of them being at a savings of $0.50-1.25 a round has more than paid for the whole inventory and then some .
    The 6 $250 shot shell presses I paid $35-40 for that loaded 100 plus boxes at savings as low as $10/box and as high as 20/box have paid for those pretty quickly too .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    I have cast and shot so many boolits in the past 40+ years that I'm pretty sure that they have all (easily over 100) paid for themselves.

It makes little difference to me the cost, especially when I can make a boolit for an accurate load for cartridges that have few or no choices on the commercial market, or when the price of factory round is prohibitive.

So, the way I think about it is that I get to shoot the old family heirlooms often, and other guns in volume if I desire.

Then, there is the "WOW!" factor when others just cannot believe 'how accurate' my loads are, and how much and how often I shoot.

A year ago my grandson came by to visit just after getting out of the Army. One afternoon we burned up well over 500 rounds of ammo out behind the barn - 9mm, 45acp, 45 Colt (his favorite), 44 Mag and Spl, 357 Mag. Had a good time. I wonder what that would have cost if purchased at LGS! The savings most certainly paid for the beer we consumed while cleaning everything.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast