Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock 23 with 9mm conversion

Boolit Master

Glock 23 with 9mm conversion

Anyone here ever buy a gun they just don't like? I bought a G23 about 8 years ago I have never liked. I should have sold it years ago when I could get what I paid for it. I doubt I could get half what I paid for it today.
    Has anyone here bought one of the 9mm conversion barrels for a G23? Is anything else needed? G19 mags? Internal parts? This would be a plinking gun with the 9mm barrel. Reliable would be nice but it will never be a self defense-life depends on it gun.

Boolit Master
    How about a 357 Sig? You can use the G23 mags.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Glock 23 but no conversion parts. When I inquired as to such, I was told I would need 9mm magazines, which makes sense given the different case diameter. As was pointed out, the .357 SIG would work with .40 magazines. In return for enjoying a snappier 9mm cartridge, one would forfeit the advantage of cheap-to-free 9mm Parabellum brass and frequent bargains in 9mm factory ammunition.

Boolit Buddy
    Aftermarket barrel and 9mm mags, I bought g23 police trade in (cheap) I did not like it. I traded it in to local dealer and $125. Got a new g19. That is close to the same price as buying new mags and barrel for something that might work, I am not very lucky with aftermarket things

Boolit Buddy
    9x19 = cheap to shoot, .357 Sig != cheap to shoot.

I've got a < 400 SN Model 22 in .40 S&W. I haven't shot it in years, just not fun or cheap to shoot. I've been looking at a new barrel and Model 17 mags from AIM or Brownells to make it more economical. I probably haven't reloaded 9mm for a decade or so, but I picked up a Star BM this spring so I'm going to start again during this winter's reloading session.

Boolit Master

Sell it, take the proceeds, and add the extra money to buy a Gen 5 Glock 19, rather spending roughly the same amount on aftermarket parts that may or may not fly.

The conversions are a compromise:

The frame is the same, but the trigger mechanism housing uses a different ejector to deal with the different diameter of shell casing.

The breechface is wider on the .40, so your extractor on a 9mm case is going to have more work do do.

.40 cal slide MAY be heavier. Gen 3's use the same recoil spring, but the Gen 4's are different.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

I love my 23, had it since the 80s and have only given it a break every now and then as my EDC. It's not a pretty gun, but it puts rounds where I want them, when I want them there, no fail. I shot lead for years before I heard Glocks didn't like it, voided warranty they said, but it eats them just fine. When I heard about a recall I sent mine in, they replaced the entire lower, didn't like that at first, but I got used to it. Every once in awhile I get the itch to get it a new barrel, maybe even a conversion, but then I just get an other gun instead.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

If it's just a plinker, try it with just a conversion barrel. If it works, you're good. If it doesn't the first thing I'd try would be mags. These are cheap and work really well:https://www.midwayusa.com/product/10...er-translucent.

Good luck!

Cat
    Cogito, ergo armatum sum.

(I think, therefore I'm armed.)

Boolit Master
    I've a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G23, also a couple M19 mags. It worked ok, in limited use so far. I ran some lead FN boolits thru it and may have gotten some leading in the throat. I want to run some jacketed thru it next, clean and try the lead again.

Boolit Master
    I have the Glock 23 and within the last year bought the Lone Wolf Conversion barrel and three used Glock mags. The cast loads shoot to the same point of aim as the 40 S&W barrel. Fun to shoot and cheap. The 40 had a bit too much muzzle flip for just fun shooting, but nice for serious work.

Not sure what the OP disliked about the 40 cal, but if he just did not like the gun, better to sell and find something that feels right in the hand and not convert the caliber.

As a side comment, a local agency has gone from the 45 cal Glock to the 9MM Glock and all the scores have improved. Perhaps the OP just has a little too much gun for his needs? Dusty

Boolit Master
    I had a 23, now have a 22. Have not had one hiccup out of a 9mm drop in barrel. Already had 9mm mags, but even then they were only $10. Will eventually get a 357 barrel for it, since already have ammo and load for it.

You can get 40 to work in a 9mm mag, but not usually other way around. But I can get 40/357 to work in a 45 mag.

Boolit Master
    For a plinker you can probably get away with the 40sw mags.

But unless you really want to keep the 40, I agree with the other suggestions.
    Sell it, buy what you want and move on.

I have a 22 that I bought years ago, got a good price on it, almost new barely shot.

I found I just have no love for 40, don’t want to reload for it.

I have a lone wolf 9mm conversion in it and just keep it around for students to use in class.
    Not even sure when I last shot it.
    Or where the 40 barrel is, I know I could find it if I had to, but haven’t seen it in years.

If that model hadn’t become basically worthless with all the police trade ins I would be much better served selling it and buying what I want.

At least mine serves a purpose and gets some use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    Anyone here ever buy a gun they just don't like? I bought a G23 about 8 years ago I have never liked. I should have sold it years ago when I could get what I paid for it. I doubt I could get half what I paid for it today.
    Has anyone here bought one of the 9mm conversion barrels for a G23? Is anything else needed? G19 mags? Internal parts? This would be a plinking gun with the 9mm barrel. Reliable would be nice but it will never be a self defense-life depends on it gun.
    Is there anything wrong with the gun or do you just dislike it?

As for the used value of the gun, you can sell it for market value OR you can dump more money into converting it to another caliber and have the same pistol with two barrels and a bunch of mags?
    While the G23 and the G19 are similar platforms (and both good pistols in my opinion) - if you don't like the G23 I don't see much advantage in throwing more money at something you don't like.

Don't spend more money on that gun. Cut your loses, sell that gun and start over.

Banned

Probably my two favorite black guns are my 19 and 23. Like was said there the same gun. If you don't like one your not going to like the other. As to the 40 vs 9 reloading. I don't see a big difference I the cost of either. Once fired brass is cheap. Casting one is no harder then casting for the other. Even powder charges are very similar. If recoil bothers you in a 40 down load it a bit. Id bet if I blind folded you and gave you my 23 and 19 you couldn't tell me which your shooting. Same thing comparing my 17 and 22.

Boolit Master
    Bought a Gen3/19 many years ago and later added a complete new 23 upper I found on eBay. Later added a Lone Wolf .357 SIG barrel. Shot really great with all calibers.

Last year found a brand new 19 frame for sale and bought it to mount the 23 upper on. Later bought a 9mm conversion barrel from Lone Wolf...all three barrels basically shoot to the same POA. At 35 yards a mag full from each barrel will all impact in the kill zone of the target.

All that is needed is some Glock 19 and 23 or 32 magazines for the 40s and .357s...

Friend bought a police trade in 22 and added a LW 9mm barrel....he has never fire the gun with .40s...

Bob

Boolit Master
    I bought a Lone Wolf 9mm conversion barrel for my G22. I think the chamber is offset to the right to deal with the extractor issue. Either way, it works fine. I've read in various places that the 40 mags work fine with 9mm, but I've never tried it. Instead I bought a few $8 Korean G17 mags.

Boolit Master
    The original Glock 40 cal mags did not retain the 9MM cartridges reliably. Just get the right mags and go have fun.

Banned
    As much as I like the G19 and G23 (they are great platforms) if the OP doesn't like his G23, he's not going to be any happier with then same gun equipped with a 9mm barrel.

Boolit Master
    People have asked what I didn't like about the G23. Not really sure, maybe a few things that added up to really not liking it. Part of it is the grip angle, which I know won't be helped by a 9mm conversion. Part is the snappy recoil which would be helped. I have several harder recoiling handguns that don't bother me, so the recoil part may just be the way the Glock fits my hand. After shooting a few mags full of .40, my trigger finger hurts from the safety. Other guns with the same trigger design don't bother me. My son has a G19 I'll have to shoot and see if I like it any better before I buy a barrel.

About recoil..... the absolute worse handgun I ever remember shooting is a little Ruger LCP. This includes 45ACP, 44 Mag, 357 Mag and 500 S&W.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    People have asked what I didn't like about the G23. Not really sure, maybe a few things that added up to really not liking it. Part of it is the grip angle, which I know won't be helped by a 9mm conversion. Part is the snappy recoil which would be helped. I have several harder recoiling handguns that don't bother me, so the recoil part may just be the way the Glock fits my hand. After shooting a few mags full of .40, my trigger finger hurts from the safety. Other guns with the same trigger design don't bother me. My son has a G19 I'll have to shoot and see if I like it any better before I buy a barrel.

About recoil..... the absolute worse handgun I ever remember shooting is a little Ruger LCP. This includes 45ACP, 44 Mag, 357 Mag and 500 S&W.
    If the safety protrudes too far out of the trigger it can be trimmed flush to the trigger to prevent the hurt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast