RepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Junk .45 Brass

Boolit Master

Junk .45 Brass

Not sure where to put this in the forum, but...

I just finished loading 1,000 rnds on the 550 and had about twenty crumpled bullets I guess I will call it. Every single one was an A-Merc case. Never heard of them. Nevertheless everyone was this brand case and only this case...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    You obviously didn’t get the memo, that brass is best discarded.

And what brand primer is that?

Boolit Buddy
    I agree. I sure hate to trash any brass, but any and all A-merc goes straight into the scrap bucket.

Boolit Master
    Yeah I never got that memo! Junk can is it’s destiny...

I am using CCI No. 300.

funny colored cast boolits you got there....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ateam View Post
    Yeah when I moved I found 3 boxes of those jokers from the ‘we thought we could never find bullets again if the feds ban them’ spree about 5 years ago.

Boolit Master

Mucho más bueno!

Boolit Buddy
    I've reloaded occasional A-Merc cases on my 550B press and never identified them as problematic. But like other strange and wonderful brands, I assign them to lots marked 'junk brass,' saved for plinking sessions in high grass.

Boolit Master
    And they come in flavors other than .45 ACP, too!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I like your counter

Boolit Master
    Never had any problem with those cases. The two rounds pictured, look like they weren't flared at the mouth enough, shaved lead, causing the issues.

Moderator Emeritus

If you search AMERC, you'll find hundreds of posts complaining about them.

Years ago, when I first found some AMERC in a batch of range brass I bought (38 spl), I did attempt to load them, there was a High percentage of failure, usually the case would crush during seating or crimping. When I say high percentage, I am comparing it to the failure rate of other brands...So 1 in 10 (10%) is really high. But with that said, I could have successfully loaded the remaining 90% without issue...I just choose to reject them all and send the brass to the scrappers.

I always sort all my brass by headstamp, so culling the AMERC (and other unfavorable brands) takes no extra work.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Isnt Amerc made in the Phillipines? I have never gotten enough to load. I sort thru and try to use same brands for a box of loads. Its rare to find enough to make a box.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GBertolet View Post
    Never had any problem with those cases. The two rounds pictured, look like they weren't flared at the mouth enough, shaved lead, causing the issues.
    This.

Boolit Grand Master

I agree that it looks like more flare was needed but there are other known problems with that brass. Case splits on the 2nd firing are one of them. Good brass is so plentiful right now that I trash those plus a few others. Life is too short.............

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    On another link ... Brass with the headstamp AMERC is made by American Ammunition Inc in Miami, FL. It is the worst quality brass imaginable. The flash holes are often off-center, the case diameter is out of spec, and it often splits on the first or second firing. Not only do I not pick it up, when I find it I crush the case mouth with pliers to prevent some other reloader from experiencing the horror that is AMERC brass.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Master

I'm a brass scrounger and have been known to use questionable brass in the past, even steel and aluminum cases (though not anymore).

That said, AMERC brass of any caliber goes straight into the scrap bucket. From past experience over decades of reloading, I've found that you can occasionally make it work, but it's never worth the hassle. It's total garbage. Do yourself a favor- if it says AMERC, scrap it.

Banned

Thanks for the info. I haven't run into any A-Merc yet but I'll keep an eye out for it. I have had a few problems with some others. A USA is one of them that have had several with off center flash holes. I found an Aguila the same way yesterday. I have noticed CBC 9mm Luger has a tighter internal diameter, I get a very pronounced bullet bulge with them.

I like your counter
    I like it to, I have an old Dillon counter that I will put back in service now.. Thanks OP.

Boolit Master
    I too have found that you can load the junk but it's not worth the hassel. Scrap yard!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast