WidenersRotoMetals2RepackboxReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load Data

Thread: Seller and Beloit primers

Boolit Master

Seller and Beloit primers

Are Seller and Beloit primers soft?
    I purchased a couple hundred at Cabela's to try since they were about half the price of CCI or Winchester primers they had on the shelf. I loaded up some 9mm and had a chance to shoot some today. There is a slight bulge around where the firing pin hit the primer on the spent case. The loads are not hot, about mid range in my reloading manual. I only had a few Federal aluminum case factory loads to compare them to, and the primers on the Federal cases looked about the same. To be honest, I don't know if I have ever picked up the brass from this pistol (Taurus 709 slim) before, so I have no idea if this is common on all brass from this gun.

Boolit Master

20yrs ago I tried to reload S&B 9mm cases, the primer pockets were too small to take Remington or Winchester SP primers.

Haven't touched any of their stuff since.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master

Use a ton of em for 380 and 45acp plinking ammo. No problems other than being a bit tight in some brass (oddly, s&b brass is the worst). Have some pretty hot 45 loads with no problems. They are softer/easier to strike than Cci as i have one 380 that doesn't play well with Cci.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

I have a bunch in SP, LP etc. They are a tight fit in some brass as noted above but I've not had a problem with them being soft. Even with
    357Mag loads near the upper end they are fine for me.

I've since switched to Win in LP because they are good for both LP and LPM. Just less boxes on the shelf.

I may be lucky but I have Wolf, Tula, Win, Rem, S&B, Fiocchi and have not had a problem with any of them
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

They are much tighter fit than Winchester or cci(my favored) in SP. Not really softer that I can tell, but I wont buy more if I can help it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Bought a couple thousand to try in both Large & Small Pistol Primers.

Like Jcren said in post#3, they are a bit tight in some cases( only used for pistol, can't remember which were the tight & which were not.), "sometimes", but overall, have had NO issue with them in regards to misfires or the like.

"Caveat Emptor", is one way of putting it, or , "Ya get what ya pay for", is another when it comes to your components to reload. Or, for your tools....

I will keep using them for plinking & messing around, but they are not my "choice", if I would have to "depend on them.".

G'Luck!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

I use them in my 45-70 no problems

Boolit Master

I have used 1000's of them in SP, LP, LR and have never had a problem.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a thousand small rifle, that I bought at Cabela's, with no problems. They all went bang, out of an AR15. I would buy again.

Boolit Master
    I have used maybe 5,000 of them in SP and SR in the past year. Until a week ago I would have said that they have been flawless, but just this past Sunday I had a single rifle round fail to ignite. Perfect strike from the firing pin, primer well dented. Probably should have pulled the round down to see exactly what happened, but I’m overly cautious with duds of all sorts.

I have many more of them, so good thing I’m generally happy with them.

Boolit Mold
    I have shot 10s of thousands of S&B primers, great primers if you ask me. Not the hardest to seat but not the easiest either, all went bang first time.
    That is SP, LP, SR and LR.

"You get what you pay for" is nonsense, they work just as well than CCI/Fed which are twice the cost. A primer is a primer in most cases, exceptions are tuned revolvers and tuned glocks.

On a side note, S&B 9mm brass marked 9mm Luger is crimped, avoid at all cost. This is mostly old stock, the newer brass is marked 9x19 and is pretty good.
    .45 ACP S&B brass can be a pain as well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by xrayfk05 View Post
    I have shot 10s of thousands of S&B primers, great primers if you ask me. Not the hardest to seat but not the easiest either, all went bang first time.
    That is SP, LP, SR and LR.

"You get what you pay for" is nonsense, they work just as well than CCI/Fed which are twice the cost. A primer is a primer in most cases, exceptions are tuned revolvers and tuned glocks.

On a side note, S&B 9mm brass marked 9mm Luger is crimped, avoid at all cost. This is mostly old stock, the newer brass is marked 9x19 and is pretty good.
    Think so? I think your underlined comment above is "nonsense".

Buying/getting something that is cheaper, or inexpensive, does not always mean you get quality for your $$. Look around the forum & see the opinions of others on certain makers of components & of handloading tools ad you will be "enlightened" on how one usually has to pay a bit more to get better quality. You will find that I am not the only one that thinks that way.

I will stop at that, since insulting a member is not allowed here. But I sure want to, after reading what I just did.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Boolit Grand Master

I toss all S&B brass in the scrap bucket. I’ve had to many issues w/ it over the years. If one slips through I can feel it on the press since it requires more force to resize.

The amusing part is that you would think S&B primers would seat perfectly into S&B brass. This isn’t the case. The primers are tight in their own brand cases. I have zero issues w/ their primers. Their brass is another story.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by JBinMN View Post
    you will be "enlightened" on how one usually has to pay a bit more to get better quality.
    Do enlighten me. Cheaper S&B primers give me the same velocity as more expensive primers and go bang every time. In what regard are more expensive primers, say CCI or Federal better or better quality?

Talking bullets, yes, cheaper bullets usually perform less than more expensive ones. Most noticeable in rifles at longer ranges but even then there are exceptions.

Boolit Master
    Do enlighten me. Cheaper S&B primers give me the same velocity as more expensive primers and go bang every time. In what regard are more expensive primers, say CCI or Federal better or better quality?

Talking bullets, yes, cheaper bullets usually perform less than more expensive ones. Most noticeable in rifles at longer ranges but even then there are exceptions.
    I already did what I am willing to do.
    I suggested you look around the forum for yourself for examples on how, quite often, "you get what ya pay for" in components, handloading tools, etc., as posted by many members of this forum.

If you want to know more about anything, based on what I read earlier, I am not the one for you to ask.

Do research for yourself if you want to know more, since I see no reason for me to continue discussing any of this with you.

Have a nice day.

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

My sister-in-law use to have a 709 Slim that I loaded mid range for. It did have the strange bulge around the firing pin dent too and I believe I was using CCI primers. The boolit I loaded for it was the Lee 358-125-RF

Moderator Emeritus

I have never had a problem with them also and will continue to use my remaking stash without concern.

Boolit Master
    I used thousands of S&B SP and LP when they were cheap from cabelas,
    They are tight in herters, S&B and some Win(S&B produced?) 45acp LP.

But then again I am having the same tight primer issues with Win LP primers.

I cull the herters, I have enough of them that I am going to load them up as ‘lost brass’ loads.

I am hoping that my latest purchase of CCI LP will fit better.

I really want to get an automated setup to swags all primer pockets, I load on a Dillon and hate having to stop and check that the tight primer pocket brass is seated all the way.
    And occasionally get a failure to fire if I miss one.

*Some Winchester USA brand 45acp is/was produced in The Czech Republic by S&B. Check the country of origin on the boxes of some factory ammo.
    Also noticed the tight pockets in late production WMA 45acp, not sure who produces that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Back to my OP, I was asking if they were soft, which appears they are not.
    The ones I shot the other day all went bang with zero problems. Just wondering about the bulge around the firing pin strike. Factory Federal aluminum case ammo had the same bulge, but who knows about the primers used in those cases? Will take some other factory loads, along with some Winchester primed reloads next time to compare. Like I said, I don't know if I had ever picked up the brass when shooting this gun. 9mm brass is too easy to come by to look too hard in the grass and brush where I shoot to search too hard for it.

Boolit Master
    I have bought several thousand of them over the last couple years. They shoot fine. Currently I am using a lot of the LR's in my 308 with CB's and various powders. No problems at all. My only complaint is that not all sizes are available at once - sometimes one size and sometimes times another. I have only seen them at my "local" Cabela's and they are about $10 cheaper per 1000.