Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxLoad DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: Good Load for 45-70

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Good Load for 45-70

I’m getting ready to load .45-70 PPBs. for the first time.
    What is the best load to start with a 400gr boolit?
    What size powder?
    How much?
    Magnum primers?
    Drill out flash hole?
    Boolit hardness, is harder than pure lead OK?
    Any other advice?

Thanks

Boolit Grand Master
    soon some more experienced guys will chime in. I've done some but not many ppb's. 400 grs should fly very well. i'd use FFg powder filled up to the point that a seated bullet just touches or even very slightly compresses the powder. standard primer. light crimp. I didn't drill out the flash hole and it worked fine. with paper patched pure lead, again should be fine. you can shoot a harder bullet, but pure is fine. like always, lots of experimentation pays off. don't allow any air space between the boolit and the BLACK powder level.

Boolit Grand Master

Ive been getting good results with rem std rifle primers. My PP are cast from 20-1 in a Brooks adjustable cup base mould. I am using 1 1/2f Olde Ensforde for powder. I uniform primer pockets and deburr the flash holes but don't open them up any size wise. I use Napa rubber fiber gasket material .060 thick for wads. Also tracing paper wads.

As to charge weight start at no air space no compression with your bullet. Work up in 2 grn increments. This adds powder and compression at a controlled rate let accuracy be your guide. A bore riding bullet seated 1/8" into case leaves much more room for powder than a groove dia seated deeper does.
    When you start compressing use a die not the bullet since these soft bullets will deform compressing powder.
    trickle powder into case and measure (seating depth and wad thickness) for the starting point weigh this charge and try in 4-5 random cases to verify.

Some use a grease cookie to help with fouling control some wipe between shots. I use a grease cookie and blow tube. Wiping gives good results also.

Some experimenting and let the rifle tell you what it wants.

Last bit of advice is pick up Randolph S Wrights book Loading and Shooting the Paper Patched Bullet A Beginners Guide. Its very good and informative. A lot of information in a well laid out format.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’m getting ready to load .45-70 PPBs. for the first time.
    What is the best load to start with a 400gr boolit?
    maximum capacity of bp

What size powder?
    1-1/2f or 2f

How much?
    filled to the rim by drop tube compaction, push in a 1/16" poly or veggie wad and compress 1/16" for starters

Magnum primers?
    standard LRP for starters

Drill out flash hole?
    no, but it do help to uniform the flash hole inside the case to remove burrs

Boolit hardness, is harder than pure lead OK?
    1:16 alloy for starters

Any other advice?
    after assembling and shooting, take notes ... make one change at a time and evaluate ... have patience

Thanks.
    yer most welcome!