Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: Marlin 1893 38-55

Marlin 1893 38-55

Decided to pull my old 93 out and dust it off. This rifle was made in 1897 and is a little raggedy with a period stock repair and looks like a replaced for stock.

When i got her the sewer pipe barrel was impossible to bring back so had it lined with the correct .380 liner and now she shoots very well. Nice smooth action with a strong lock up. It wears an original Lyman receiver sight and a bead front. She is a joy to hold and wonder what kinda history she has behind her.

So I'd like feedback on loads you use in the 38-55. She has a " special smokeless steel " barrel and the " Marlin Safety " receiver. Great old rifle but would like to hear what others load in their 38-55's.

O boy. The most popular load for an older rifle like that is Unique or an equivalent at 9-10 grains with a 250 grain bullet. I have used the Lee bullet and have had good results but with a 380 bore it might be a very close fit. A coated lube might help. Same bullet loaded with IMR 4198 at about 21-22 grains gave me a little more oomph than the BP equivalent load you get from Unique. It is very accurate and gives velocity over 1400 fps. (chronographed) I do use the Lyman mold now, and it drops a bullet at 287 grains or so with the gas check. It is a heavy bullet but I like it for more serious loads, but I have a 336 Marlin cowboy. My Lyman manual has loading data that is in the range of 28000 or so. Some of those loads are impressive which is what I gather you are looking at. I doubt if the 93 has the same strength as a 336 so I would be careful about going up to some of the loads I have seen in literature.

DEP

Oh no, do not desire to strain her and that is not my style anyway. Between 1100 and 1400 FPS is where i am headed.

Banned
    Same here. I don't push these old guns too hard, keep the speed about 1150-1250.

Boolit Buddy

They worked then, still do the job today! Nice old gun!
    Semper Fidelis, to God, Country and Corps!

Boolit Bub
    I shoot a old 1893 Marlin the same vintage as yours & my load is 30 grs IMR3031 & a 265 gr cast bullet with gas check. very accurate
    load & mild enough for older marlins