Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another .357 conversion.

Boolit Buddy

Another .357 conversion.

In the last few months I picked up a couple old Hopkins and Allen shotguns for cheap... Less then $100.
    The first one had the breach face damaged from the firing pin breaking through. I posted photos of that a while ago. The second one was in much better condition... much better! I started to repair the damaged breach face but on acquiring the second shotgun in better condition gave it up and used the barrel from the first one to convert to .357 mag. This will be used on the good action.

Purchased two more of the Numrich .357 barrels made by Star (free shipping when you spend over $75).

I cut the old shotgun barrel down to 10" then turned the .357 barrel to match the shotgun chamber and bore. slipped the .357 barrel inside the shotgun stub barrel. It ended up as a press fit the last 1/8". Used a block of wood and hammer to drive it in. It's all held together with JB Weld epoxy.

Boolit Buddy
    Used a dremel to cut relief for the extractor and cleaned it up with a couple files.

Made an extension for the extractor to be TIG welded on. Here is the extractor and extension in place.

Boolit Buddy
    Went over to a friends who has a TIG welder and he welded the extractor together. I brought it home, ground and filed to shape. Set it in the barrel lug without the spring so it sat flush and cut the chamber.

Once chamber was cut reassembled extractor and spring to test. Went out back and shot 5 rounds into the ground and they all extracted just fine.

Boolit Buddy
    Now that it's a functioning rifle I installed some sights and blued it. Front sight is from an old Remington and the rear sight is parts cobbled from various Williams barrel mounted sights.

The sights are bore sighted with my Mk1 eyeball. As soon as I got the sights on went out back and at 25 yards off hand shot this target. No adjustments made. I think it will do much better when I can set up a table for a bench and install a smaller aperture.

So I have $75 for the shotguns, $41 for the barrel. And I still have the original 30" shotgun barrel that came with it.

All up weight is 6lbs, 10oz.
    Barrel length: 20"

Boolit Buddy
    Got the gun sighted in today. Set up on the back side of the property where I have my little shooting range. Was back I figure 50 yards but when I paced it off came out 56 yards roughly. Good enough.

This thing has a real heavy trigger pull, 10-12 lbs. I can keep windage steady but elevation is hard to hold.

Boolit Buddy
    Haven't had time to work on the trigger but wanted to try some reloads with cast 158gr SWC. Put together 35 rounds with Laser Cast 158 gr SWC over 3.5 gr of Bullseye.... Results were not good at all so I didn't even take any photos. After shooting 10 rounds the target looked like someone shot it with 00 buck from a 12ga, just all over the place.

I thought this barrel may like FMJ and I had a box of 158gr JHP on the shelf. So I loaded up 30 rounds with 6gr of HS6 and things started improving. That's 5 rounds in each target.

Still dealing with the horrendous trigger pull but it's shooting much better with these reloads at 50-60 yards.

Nice job and fun to shoot!
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

I like it.

Boolit Master
    Nice write up and pictures too. Thanks!
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Banner Sponsor

Excellent job. Looks like it will be a shooter. I have a couple of the falling block Hopkins and Allen shotguns in 12 and 16ga. The actions are were very soft, I tested a part on a rockwell tester and it came up in the B range. Then they went through my shop fire, so I think that they will just be wall hangers now.
    Nice job on your new 357.

Very nice job !

Boolit Buddy
    Fine project! Looks good and will all come around to be great companion. Another thing that looks like magic is balancing the gun on your block of wood.
    Good shooters are always interesting.

Boolit Man
    I got something similar to this on a whim at an auction, in 357 as well. It was "gunsmith special" with a few flaws but I had to have it. The only drawback is it was done on a very old action that has a non-adjustable V spring, not coil spring. The trigger pull is downright awful but if held tight it's very accurate. I bring it and a pile of light bullet squib loads camping every year. The sound of the hammer is louder than than the bang! But great fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys for all the kind comments.

Mac118,
    Like your rifle this one has no coil springs either, leaf springs for hammer and trigger. Shimming the main spring could possibly help, also the trigger/hammer engagement angle could be changed to lighten it up.

Tried some .357 magnum but prefer shooting .38 spl. Less report and recoil which makes it enjoyable to shoot and fairly low cost too. Kind of like shooting a .22 but bigger!

Boolit Master

VERY, VERY Cool !!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I really like the job and not trying to take away anything from the work but I might add a blind pin/weld under the forend or something the BATFE would consider “permanent” with the barrel being cut short enough for it to be an SBS.

Boolit Master

Great job. I love it.

Boolit Buddy
    jmorris,
    Very good point and noted. Will TIG weld a blind pin into the barrel ASAP.

Nice write up and all you done on this. With the photos it was nice to see how things came together for you. Thank you for posting.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    Since you are not constrained by the length of a revolver cylinder, you might try varying the C.O.A.L. upward a bit, to avail yourself of extra case capacity, and perhaps better accuracy with bullets weighing over 158 grains. Just a thought.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast