RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Load DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Range Scrap BHN

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Range Scrap BHN

I recently got a Lee hardness tester. I tested my range scrap boolits with it and find it hard to believe it’s so hard. 16-18 BHN. I must admit I have not mastered the tester and don’t find it that easy to use yet. However, I didn’t expect to find it so hard.

What BHN for range scrap do others come up with? I realize it can vary a lot, even at the same range, from time to time. Some people say boolits are generally harder than ingots. I can’t test my ingots of range scrap or pure lead, because I can’t fit them in my press. Next time I pour ingots, I plan to make a few smaller ones to test.

Moderator Emeritus

I bought some Range scrap from a member here, that batch is kind of soft, around 9 BHN.
    When I 'hand-pick' boolits off the ground at the Range, in front of the pistol Pit backstop, I usually get a hardness around 12 BHN.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

Everything in my stockpile of 'range scrap' was recovered from the 25-yard berm of an outdoor range. After skimming out the dirt, bullet jackets, etc. and fluxing, my ingots test consistently around 9-10 Bhn if measured with 24-48 hours after being cast. I'm certain they most likely harden further with age but have never bothered to check because I use RS only as base for my handgun alloys. I agree that the Lee Hardness Tester can be a PITA until you develop a consistent technique but, once you're got it down, you can obtain pretty reliable results.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Banned
    It all depends on what people are shooting.

scrap commercial cast will run around15 BHN

jacketed bullets closet to 6.

For best results with the Lee hardness tester, file/scrape the testing surface smooth first

build a stand of some sort to hold it (this can be as simple as a hole in a paper cup with a large notch in one side to let the light in.

Search Lee Hardness tester at the top right of the forum

According to my Cabinetree tester the hardness comes in between 9 and 10.

Boolit Grand Master

The BHN of range scrap will vary because the alloy of the recovered alloy is dependent on what the alloy was of the bullets that created the "scrap". I have range scrap recovered from a range where only 22 RF and pellet rifles were allowed. The BHN runs 6 - 7. Conversely I have a lot of range scrap recovered from indoor ranges where a large amount of commercial hard cast pistol bullets and jacketed bullets were used. That alloy has a high 5 of antimony (10 - 11%) and thus the BHN runs 15 - 17.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, as noted above, it depends on what was being shot. A lot of 22 rimfire shooting results in a softer alloy. Also if a lot of jacketed bullets are "melted" the alloy seems to be pretty soft. If there are some casters shooting the alloy goes up in hardness.

I have a Lee tester, but I could not get comfortable with the "microscope". So, I use my magnifying visor and dial calipers to measure the dent and that has worked quite well for me. I compared some alloy that was "certified" BHN against my readings and came very close (Roto Metals alloy BHN)...
    Last edited by mdi; 10-24-2018 at 11:17 AM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    The BHN of range scrap will vary because the alloy of the recovered alloy is dependent on what the alloy was of the bullets that created the "scrap". I have range scrap recovered from a range where only 22 RF and pellet rifles were allowed. The BHN runs 6 - 7. Conversely I have a lot of range scrap recovered from indoor ranges where a large amount of commercial hard cast pistol bullets and jacketed bullets were used. That alloy has a high 5 of antimony (10 - 11%) and thus the BHN runs 15 - 17.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. « Hard cast pistol bullets » Most of the lead came from a 25 yard range where jacketed bullets were not allowed. I don’t shoot there, but I think most are shooting hand guns. I didn’t realize the lead boolits were so hard. That gives me a little more confidence in my ability to use the Lee tester.

I've used/shot range scrap since 1990 from outdoor ranges. Rendering down smaller amounts/batches with result in wide swings in the alloy's bhn. When I switched to making #100 pots/ingots/finished product the alloys evened out.

Air cooled range scrap ='s 8/9bhn
    water dropped range scrap ='s 12/13bhn

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    I seen this also for all Larry wrote. It all depend on what is used .When I get all my range alloy done up I always test it to see what it is and go from there.Some times I just use it as is.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    The range scrap I get is about 9.0 BNH, from an out door range. Most is jacketed with a few cast throne in the mix.
    I generally treat it as pure and add lino or mono with a bit of tin.

Boolit Buddy

I separate my range scrap into jacketed and cast. The cast stuff is pretty hard (don't know the exact BHN - I'd guess around 15ish). I always assume the jacketed lead is pure lead (or close). I smelt them separately and add them to the pot in a ratio that gives me what I want. So I wouldn't be surprised in your scrap is hard if it's mostly cast.

Boolit Master
    I melted some 22/J -range scrap this summer and forgot to mark/label the ingots. "I will remmber that pile is soft" Yeah right.

No problem,it is so soft that a tap with a screwdriver will identify it,especially when you have harder ingots to compare with. This scrap is Around 6-8 BHN as already mentioned above.

Most outdoor range scrap will fall between 9-10bhn. it is a mix of lead cores & alloy bullets. I am betting a the lee is a bit off.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol