RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionRepackboxWideners
Inline FabricationPBcastcoReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Load Data

Thread: Sizing

Sizing

My Remlin seems to like cast bullets in the .460 range. When I paper patch they come out around .463 before sizing. I haven't tried it yet but I believe the rifle will chamber that dimension without issue. I read that the sizing is mostly to, " Iron the patch on". It seems to me that if I put a small amount of case lube around the bullet and put it in the case that would iron the patch on just as well.

I ran mine through a .457 sizer. They came out .4583 =+/- .0003 which has to be spring back on the paper.

Is there any reason not to shoot them unsized and let the rifle do that?

No reason at all. As cast is good if they will chamber. If you wet patched or got dry patches good and tight, the patch is "ironed " on already.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

My boolit cores are smooth sided and I dry patch. Soft lead will grip the patch just fine but harder alloys need knurling with a pair of fine flat files. My patches stay on the boolits just fine.

I do size when the patched boolit is too large to seat. My patched boolits fill the throats of my 303 Brits and the bore sizes them. My patched boolit diameter at the seating portion is 8.1 mm (.319) which is somewhat larger than the bore diameters.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

I should add - with printer paper and unsized patched boolits, I found it necessary to roll the boolit in the lube pad (with STP as a lube) to enable seating. The boolit can be twist prest part of the way in then seated to depth with press. There is no pulling them out again (well, one can but the boolit nose gets totally destroyed in the process). The lube soaks away leaving the patch surface essentially dry. I would relube case and exposed boolit ready for firing by rolling on the lube pad.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Is there any reason not to shoot them unsized and let the rifle do that?
    To a point. Knowing the bores actual diameter eliminates any guessing. To large a bullet increases PSI and can affect accuracy sometimes even cause cartridge rupture. Just saying: We home reloaders beside teetering a beam scale powder measure. We also need to pay heed to CUP & PSI figures of those intended powders we intend to use. We all know gun manufactures proof test their barrels but. I'd rather not proof test my barrels to Max and beyond figures as most seasoned reloaders will agree there are way to increase velocity yet hold chamber pressures to safe levels.

Slugging {would assure} a true trouble free measure. There after its a simple ordering of a correct lubesizer a couple 1000ths larger or a Push-thru die.

Shooting a 460 dia. I don't see a problem other than heavier feeling recoil and such bullet not being patched likely will lead streek its bore.