RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banging steel plates....

Boolit Master

Big, slow boolits give a nice delay before a big clang. Once you find your hold at a given range, trajectory is not an issue. I was able to hit a 12x12" plate at 300 yards several times out of a couple cylinders worth with my open sighted 44 mag revolver. We were in a drought and misses made a big dust cloud making it possible to walk it in. The range has since gotten rid of the plate due to safety concerns and maintenance issues, so I just ordered an 18 inch gong for the house. Action Targets has a 15% off sale going. I've had a 8" plate at the house for several years. I like to hit it then back up until it gets hard. Yesterday, I was able to go 5/5 at 25 yards, offhand, with a 3" SP101. My buddy popped it with a 308 at 100 yards. Left a divot the size of a pinhead that you wouldn't even notice if I didn't tell you it was there. AR500 is some tough stuff!

Hey Wheelguns 1961

In this section of the forum, wheelguns pistols and hand cannons, is the thread International Lawnsteel shooting. When you have a good spell of sit down time, give it a read. The thread follows a shooter from his first moment of "What the heck is it" to a point where he realizes the addiction has consumed him. Lawnsteel does not suffer from any pretense, it is a GAME. The participants are shooters who play this game. The handguns are considered as equipment, not weapons. This is the only shooting game where laughter is a legitimate alibi.

Our newest shooter has been playing Lawnsteel for three months now and is competent enough to engage Turkey targets with full intention of hitting it in the head. She does it at a range of seventy yards with open sights. When you come to Florida, everyone comes to Florida, try some Lawnsteel. By the way, first taste is always free.

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    The one with the highest velocity will suffer the least gravitational drop. They will all bang a gong hard.
    Gravitational drop is a constant unaffected by velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Jack Hammer View Post
    Gravitational drop is a constant unaffected by velocity.
    If the bullet gets to the target faster, gravity will have less time to affect it!

Gunarea, I will certainly check it out. Thanks, sadly as with most of these fun games, I am pretty sure they will not be available in my area, but I will check it out. Retirement in 3yrs.
    Last edited by Wheelguns 1961; 10-26-2018 at 01:36 PM.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	64F49223-C4FF-4F56-AA49-4DD119E442AB.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	229398
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheelguns 1961 View Post
    If the bullet gets to the target faster, gravity will have less time to affect it!

Gunarea, I will certainly check it out. Thanks, sadly as with most of these fun games, I am pretty sure they will not be available in my area, but I will check it out. Retirement in 3yrs.
    If the bullet gets there faster, then time will have less effect on the bullet. Here locally, gravity is a constant. I’ve uploaded an image of our range, we have steel at 200, 300, 400 and 500 yards. This picture was not taken laying down, for some reason when I upload pics my pics get rotated.

That is 550 yards is farthest target. We have monthly matches.

Quote Originally Posted by reddog81 View Post
    My favorite for shooting the 100 yard gong at the local range is my S&W 929 9mm revolver. It's got a Vortex Venom red dot sight on it which helps at 100. I just aim for the top of the metal plate and can regularly get 6 out of 8 hits on the plate. I'm not sure if it's 8", 10" or 12"... I need to measure it sometime.

I second this. What I shoot the most at 100 yards is plusP 38 in my many 6” revolvers. They are all sighted in for 6 o’clock hold at 25 and I just aim at the top 1/3 of the plate at 100 yards. I like my plates painted orange because of my black sight. And you don’t need 1/2” AR plates, 3/8” works fine. With my single actions, I greatly prefer my 7 1/2” at 100 yards. Standard 45 colt velocity gives a very satisfying bang/ ting combination as does 44 special. Again, just aim towards the top of the 12” plate. I shoot 3 or 4 times a month and load on a progressive press. At 57, I find shooting standard calibers so much more enjoying for range sessions that may burn through 150 rounds than firing big bore magnums.
    Sounds like your place will be the hit place with your shooting friends.

Boolit Master

Any serviceable firearms will do. 100 yards is not that far.

Boolit Bub
    Jealous, real nice set up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12