MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Banging steel plates....

Boolit Man

Banging steel plates....

Hey guys,
    Although im a stock holder at one of our local gun clubs, its still about a 40 to 45 minute ride from my house. So since i have 100 acres which is mostly wooded, ive started building my own pistol range in the woods. Ive been clearing three shooting lanes. One is 20 to 25 yards, another 30 to 35 yards, and the third is between 75 to 100 yards. I plan on having different 1/2" AR500 metal plates & gongs on each lane. Anyone who has ever shot metal knows that distinct metal clang from a good hit. Anyway, just for the fun of it. If you wanted to hit the 100 yard hard with a handgun, what would be your bullet choice? Hot load 45 Colt, 44 Mag, 480 Ruger, ....etc.

Blacky

Boolit Buddy
    Lookup hickok45 on youtube. He hits a long range gong with about anything.

The one with the highest velocity will suffer the least gravitational drop. They will all bang a gong hard.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Camper64 View Post
    He do do that
    With anything

Boolit Man
    Oh yes.. Ive watched many many of his vids. Personally i envy his shooting range and alk the awesome firearms he gets to shoot...lol

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by blacky montana View Post
    hey guys,
    although im a stock holder at one of our local gun clubs, its still about a 40 to 45 minute ride from my house. So since i have 100 acres which is mostly wooded, ive started building my own pistol range in the woods. Ive been clearing three shooting lanes. One is 20 to 25 yards, another 30 to 35 yards, and the third is between 75 to 100 yards. I plan on having different 1/2" ar500 metal plates & gongs on each lane. Anyone who has ever shot metal knows that distinct metal clang from a good hit. Anyway, just for the fun of it. If you wanted to hit the 100 yard hard with a handgun, what would be your bullet choice? Hot load 45 colt, 44 mag, 480 ruger, ....etc.

Blacky
    i'm jealous
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Camper64 View Post

Hickok45 is a good shot, but he's not really shooting long range. His farthest gong is 80 yards from where he is shooting. It just looks longer on the videos.

Boolit Man
    Still a nice range.. He has a fortune in steel..lol

Boolit Master
    My favorite for shooting the 100 yard gong at the local range is my S&W 929 9mm revolver. It's got a Vortex Venom red dot sight on it which helps at 100. I just aim for the top of the metal plate and can regularly get 6 out of 8 hits on the plate. I'm not sure if it's 8", 10" or 12"... I need to measure it sometime.

I've tried my .460 XVR a couple of times. With the iron sights it was kind of difficult and with a scope it was fairly easy. I need to get more practice with the iron sights.

With long distance handgun shooting it takes a lot of practice to get good. It also really helps to start at 25 and see where you're hitting, then move to 50 yards and see where you're hitting and then move out to 100 yards. If your not on target at 50 yards there's no reason to even try at 100.

Boolit Master
    I have an electrical easement to shoot down the length of. Can get 450yds easy. Had some gongs hanging from a thick chain between 2 of the poles, but the chain did not last long. need to build something to hang them from. But you do know when you make a hit.

Boolit Man
    Yep.. i use to shoot long range with my 45-70. Out to 600 yards you could clearly hear that big 405gr hit..lol

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I have an electrical easement to shoot down the length of. Can get 450yds easy. Had some gongs hanging from a thick chain between 2 of the poles, but the chain did not last long. need to build something to hang them from. But you do know when you make a hit.
    We had luck with some conveyor belt type material. Local range uses retired fire hose

Boolit Master

my favorite steel to hit at 100 yards Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180415_135901_resized.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	229307
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Shoot enough and any on your list will work!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    I used to shoot clay pigeons @ 100 yards standing up when I had a .480 I had a 2x Leupold on it.

Yup, I foolishly traded it......
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master
    I own a range. I have a fair amount of steel too. And,, I'm currently preparing for an upcoming elk hunt. How? By shooting at a 6" steel plate,, at different distances,, out to 100 yds.
    I use powder coated, cast slugs,, Miha 454-640, 280 grn, in my 45 Colt. Moderate load, and I ring it a LOT!

We use railroad tie plates here on our farm. Most are roughly 8x15" or so, some smaller and all are good practice with a handgun. The spike holes make them easy to suspend or, in our case angle against a pair of electric fence rods bent in an 'h' shape. We shoot from 25 yds as a rough minimum to minimize splash back, but they're a challenge from 50 yds on out. Walk along any railroad track, especially if they've replaced some cross ties, and you'll soon find all you can use. Walmart sells flat black spray paint for $.96 each, which lasts quite a while repainting them. Best regards, Rod

Attachment 229330 Lawnsteel targets range from 45yds to 75yds(occasionally further depending on the facility) and the size goes from a seven inch circle to an IMHSA scale ram. The players are restricted to sub-sonic velocities and only iron sights are permitted. Hitting a target is not the extent of the game however. An engaged target must be rendered inviable for the engagement to be considered successful. There are sixty five specific targets in a sanctioned Lawnsteel game. Although the larger targets are easier to hit, they are also much more difficult to topple. A 160gr projectile going 810fps must strike a Turkey target in the neck/head in order to topple it. With these ballistic parameters, mild steel targets endure tens of thousands hits.

Attachment 229331 These targets are now over twenty years old. Fired upon four times a day, two days a week.

Our motto is "You don't have to ****em up, just knockem down".

Roy
    Shoot often, Shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    If you use a piece of 1 1/4" wide x 1/4" thick angle iron welded to one link, it will deflect any bullets and protect your chain. Works great, hc18flyer

Gunarea, that looks like a whole lotta fun!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast