Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision RotoMetals2

Thread: Anyone know what case this is?

Boolit Buddy

Anyone know what case this is?

I have found a few of these on the range and had no luck trying to ID them. I thought I had seen it all but this one has me baffled. Headstamp is 223 Remington and it appears to be necked down to 30 caliber.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails unknown case2.jpg   unknown case.jpg  

Boolit Master
    300 black out

.30 Mauser, 7.62 Tokarev.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Where someone is making 300BO from 223 brass is all.

Super Moderator Emeritus
    .972 case length. Check 7.62 Tok.

Boolit Master
    .30 mauser I made them out of .223 when I got my first broomhandle and brass was nonexistent. cut .223 to 1.000 run into .30 mauser fl die ream with .311 reamer and trim. now you can get them from starline.

In Remembrance

Let me see? It`s made of brass with a hole on one end for a bullet and has a black residue inside. I`d say that it`s a fired cartridge case that someone made from another parent case.Robert

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bob208 View Post
    .30 mauser I made them out of .223 when I got my first broomhandle and brass was nonexistent. cut .223 to 1.000 run into .30 mauser fl die ream with .311 reamer and trim. now you can get them from starline.
    Yep, except I turned the necks to make .30 Mauser from GI 5.56 brass 35 years ago. You really hated losing a case after all that work. It worked pretty good in the pistol, but it was troublesome when try to use it in a clip. Just enough difference in the rim that they wanted to pop out all over the place rather than go into the magzine. Then Fiocchi started importing 7.63 Mauser and Prvi Partizan, 7.62 Tokarev and life became so much easier!

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely not 300BLK. I make them and cast for them and this is way too short. 30 Mauser was my first guess but the dimensions did not match up. Apparently it is "close enough" to work for that. Thanks for the information. I am alsways curious when I run across something oddball like that. Makes me feel like I missed out on something.

I know what you mean about not wanting to lose certain types of brass. I shoot 10mm and I am just getting into 357 Sig. I hate to lose either of them. I was at the range this afternoon and two guys showed up to shoot about the time I was ready to leave. One of them was shooting 10mm and left the brass on the ground. I waited until they were leaving and asked whether they saved their brass. SCORE. Will dumpster dive for 10mm brass and now 357 Sig. On a side note: If 357 Sig was the first round I ever attempted to load and/or cast for this would have been a very short lived activity.

Boolit Master
    I made my first 7.62x25 from 38spl. You have to lathe off the rim and cut a new extractor, shorten and trim. You really don't want to loose those. I made a bit that I could just turn off the rim and then run straight in for the extractor groove. Life is much easier now that you can buy cases.