Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SWFA Scopes?

Boolit Master

SWFA Scopes?

Looking for a new scope and came across SWFA brand offerings on the web. I have never used a SWFA scope and have not even held one.

Their offerings appear to deliver value for the price if the quality is excellent. I want something that is a pleasure to use or at least not a hinderance that disappoints every time it is looked through. At the less than $1000 level they appear equal or better than Leupold or Vortex.

Anyone have experience with SWFA scopes and this https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-3-15x42-tac...-scope-11.html one? They also offer a ultra light weight scope that I have a different application for.https://swfa.com/swfa-ss-2-5-10x32-u...fle-scope.html . My focus is on the 3-15x42. The ultra light is just something I have a non pressing need for and somewhat curious about.

I love great optics. My budget doesn't allow the very best nor does my use make the very best worthwhile. SWFA appears to deliver a lot for the money. If the optics are bright and clear and the mechanical quality is very good (repeatable, sturdy) it appears a solution.

Sturdy, clear, mechanically sound and not priced out of my league with first focal plane and about 3 to 15x (or more) is about
    sums up my gaols. I have wasted a bunch of money on inferior quality optics and hate to do it again. SWFA good stuff?

Thanks

Banned
    At first glance SWFA appears to be a distributor more than a manufacturer. Beyond the hype that they generate for themselves (expected), I don't see much about their suppliers.

My gut instinct is to be cautious.

Boolit Master
    Google them and you will find some good info. I have two SWFA scopes and think they are great... a background check will show you that they began as Tasco's submission for the Navy in SEAL use and contract and use those specs for the original 10X offering... I have a straight 10X and the 3X15... I have them in mil to mil not moa... Due to my wife's illness and passing I haven't done much with the 3X15... my experience with the straight 10x is good... I have had it on a couple of different rifles and it now resides on my 45 inline... the mildot system and a rangefinder make it a great application for a big heavy bullet with a trajectory curve as large as the low velocity creates. Look on YouTube under a guy who goes as TiborasaurusRex who did a couple of reviews on SWFA.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Themoose View Post
    Google them and you will find some good info. I have two SWFA scopes and think they are great... a background check will show you that they began as Tasco's submission for the Navy in SEAL use and contract and use those specs for the original 10X offering... I have a straight 10X and the 3X15... I have them in mil to mil not moa... Due to my wife's illness and passing I haven't done much with the 3X15... my experience with the straight 10x is good... I have had it on a couple of different rifles and it now resides on my 45 inline... the mildot system and a rangefinder make it a great application for a big heavy bullet with a trajectory curve as large as the low velocity creates. Look on YouTube under a guy who goes as TiborasaurusRex who did a couple of reviews on SWFA.
    I extend my condolences for your loss.

Thank you for the info and will go to YouTube for the review.

Boolit Master
    Thank you PB234. Feel free to PM, email or call me if I can provide any other info on my SWFA scopes.
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Banned
    It appears that almost all of the information concerning SWFA comes from SWFA's own advertising.

Boolit Man
    SWFA was a sponsor on another rimfire forum several yrs ago (but aren't anymore). They were expanding business and seemed to be doing well then. Forum members there had good reviews of them and their scopes but I don't remember anything bad being mentioned. I believe someone makes the scopes and puts the SWFA name on. Can't tell you any other stuff about them except I bought a Vortex from SWFA and have been very happy with it and SWFA's service.

Boolit Master
    Thank you Bill. So far what I am learning is the SWFA product is a good piece of equipment. Sure a great scope at many times the price would likely have better glass and features, but is not necessary or affordable. The light weight scope I linked to is very light and nice for a carbine especially if it is flat shooting (223 at 200 yards) at the ranges I would use it at. The variable mil dot scopes have plenty of power and would be a hoot to use for rounds with a rainbow trajectory like a 22 LR up to 200 yards.

Banned
    Got one on a Ruger Precision Rifle in 308. Good scope for the price.

Boolit Master
    I have two of the SWFA branded scopes, 16x & 20x. Made in Japan
    I'm pleased with them.
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

FWIW, I've been patronizing SWFA ever since their website went up, many years ago, with complete satisfaction.

They are excellent folks to deal with, and stand behind what they sell.

SWFA is a distributor (mainly) that offers just about every brand of scope/red dot available, at prices much lower than most (my $725 Trijicon 2.75-4x Safari scope cost me $399 there).

What also makes them different is that they publish the specs (eye relief, etc) for each scope, ILO simply listing what's available.

Additionally, since they take used scope on trade-in, they offer used/re-furbished scopes - but IDK whether SWFA reconditions them, or farms the reconditioning work out (in any event, they are low cost alternatives to a new scope).

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    I am down to deciding on whether a variable or a fixed power scope for one of my needs. Usual trade off between the size, weight and cost and what do I really need is playing out in my head.

Thanks for all of he help delivered here.

I was considering a 3-15 SWFA. Seems all the reviews are pretty good for it.

Great scopes! The track as well as a $2000 scope. They are bullet proof. I have a 10x on my 6.5cm
    I have zero problems hitting steel targets out to 1250 yards to date. Great glass. Tasco is the MFG if I'm not mistaken.
    Made in Japan. It's (the fixed power) best scope out there for under $300 IMHO.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Jeff, SWFA is now running Veterans Day Sale thru Sunday... `15% off on some and 10% off all... might want to check it out if you don't want to wait till Black Friday

Boolit Master
    Thanks, order completed and waiting for the new scopes.

Boolit Master
    Ordered yesterday morning. Tracking info shows it was shipped yesterday evening. Excellent service.

Boolit Master
    They are talked about and used a lot on airguns where they have a good reputation, I don't know about their use on spring airguns which are hard on scopes.

Boolit Master
    SWFA has several going on sale this Friday. $260 for the 10x scopes.
    Doug
    .................................................. ........................................
    Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.

Taxidermists are cheaper than surgeons....keep shooting

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Some people measure success in Minutes of Angle

Boolit Master
    dk,

Thanks for the heads up. I acquired two of their scopes on their Veterans Day sale. One was a little better deal than the Black Friday Sale. One was a little worse deal. They are both very good scopes for the money. I am a happy with them. They have one scope on sale now that is tempting. I am resisting as my need is not immediate and money doesn't grow on the trees in my yard. The temptation is offered both a separate scope and a scope & mount combination deal. My quick look is it is cheaper to specify them both separately at SWFA than to order the combination deal. Sometimes one just has to smile at pricing. Maybe I read it wrong?

PB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast