WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short range session with the .450 Bushmaster

Boolit Master

Short range session with the .450 Bushmaster

Took my new AR build to my dad's range to dial in the new reflex sight.

This rifle will be used for defense against whatever four-legged and two-legged threats I encounter in the Idaho back country. I chose a reflex sight for it's light weight and quick acquisition of targets.

I made some reloads using 225 grain FTX and 250 grain XTP bullets.

Fired them today at 55 yards off the bench and was satisfied with the results.

Managed a 1" group while dialing in the new sight.

Rifle has proved reliable but it definitely is NOT a .223. Recoil is stout. Fired 22 rounds today and had to stop. Shoulder was hurting pretty bad. Haven't had that happen since sighting in my .45-70 match rifle.

Overall, I'm happy with my new woods carbine, but it has a whole lot more kick than the Marlin lever action.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Not really a surprise about the recoil. You have 308 to 30-06 type energy going downrange from a 6.5-7 pound rifle. It is going to let you know you were shooting a serious gun sooner or later.

Boolit Grand Master

Why would you think it has no recoil? It’s a round w/ a good bit of energy. They call the bigger bore AR rounds “thumpers” for a reason.

I have a Ruger ranch in 450 bushmaster and I have only shot the Hornady black 250 FTX but I can put 5 rounds in the same hole

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Why would you think it has no recoil?
    Nowhere did I say such a ridiculous thing. Please stop trying to stir up trouble.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

All ready for a camping trip next week...

Attachment 229312

Boolit Master

Looks like you are indeed ready to saly forth to the back country; very nice looking rifle!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Nowhere did I say such a ridiculous thing. Please stop trying to stir up trouble.
    Stir up trouble? What are you talking about? I asked a question because you were comparing it to the 223. It’s in a completely different energy class.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Stir up trouble? What are you talking about? I asked a question because you were comparing it to the 223. It’s in a completely different energy class.
    I apologize if I misinterpreted your statement. Asking why I thought it would have no recoil seemed strange.

Boolit Master
    You can tame some of the recoil, more bolt/buffer weight. The factory bolt is set up for a 5.56, and the buffer is a bit light as it is. I dropped a rod of tungsten inside a rifle buffer, really soaks up the recoil. its a bit much as not every load will cycle the gun. But you can really feel the difference w a regular buffer in it.

Boolit Master
    I could feel the difference in recoil from .223's to the .450 BM, but I didn't have any shoulder problems after firing off a lot of rounds through it. My lightweight .308 Win had some more serious kick to it though. I did feel it some later. But then my .450 BM build is pretty heavy and not light weight.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    You can tame some of the recoil, more bolt/buffer weight. The factory bolt is set up for a 5.56, and the buffer is a bit light as it is. I dropped a rod of tungsten inside a rifle buffer, really soaks up the recoil. its a bit much as not every load will cycle the gun. But you can really feel the difference w a regular buffer in it.
    Thanks for reminding me! I forgot all about the use of heavier buffers.

Boolit Master
    Very nice looking weapon! I have a couple now and been really happy with mine, 16" Carb and 18" Mid with rifle extensions/buffers. Noticeable between them but not harsh at all. There are several things to help tame a little, not knowing where you are with "Mouse" guns the 450.net has some tinkering information. Increasing carbine buffer weight and adding weight to aft section of BCG are probably the easiest. Magazines are the thing that has driven me crazy, but have 10 round PMAGS perfected for three round hunters but close on a larger solution.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek View Post
    Magazines are the thing that has driven me crazy, but have 10 round PMAGS perfected for three round hunters but close on a larger solution.
    I converted a couple of my old USGI 30-rounders using these $8.50 followers: http://www.chambertactical.com/produ...bore-follower/

They so far have been flawless and I need to order some more.

Boolit Master
    I am a fan of the 450 Bushmaster I own two both bolt guns one is the American Ruger and the other is a Ruger Scout rifle both are extremely accurate with anything I feed them. I have a 458 SOCOM but may buy an upper for the Bushmaster soon.

Boolit Master
    How does the 458 SOCOM compair to the 450 just wondering on accuracy

Boolit Master
    Local gunshop has an ATI 450 rifle on the shelf, comes with a 410 mag. Work great in mine. Bought a bigger 15rd its meh, really need to make a 10rd.

Boolit Master
    I have tried every type of metal mag there is and most worked fine, but everyone scarred/gouged the brass very badly (too much for me). Polishing, tinkering with lip angle, etc., blue and black followers, yellow PMAG with .500" ball mill run down center, cut springs on and on. I have spent more than minutes in chair with a magazine housing and cartridge staring, know what I want just calculating best approach. I only use them for hunting and the PMAG's have worked flawless, ten rounders modified. They will hold four and function but really blows lips out, three works great. One mag in and two more on belt, if I need more to get back to the boat I would be having a really bad day. I am working on a crazy modification to magazine for more capacity, we'll see.

Boolit Master
    The metal magazines I got all needed some work. I needed to file a bit of a rounded notch in the front so the bullets wouldn't hang up on the lip. Then I needed to use a hone on the feed lips to eliminate the burrs or edges on them too. I made up some dummy rounds up to use for testing purposes.

Boolit Master
    320 Crocus on a 30-06 case will give almost the perfect radius on front and bevel inboard. The best of the lot for me in the metal lip department were the Lancer mags. 20 rounders seemed to be about the limit in my trials being a straight mag, the curvature of the thirties seemed to make a lot of drag with follower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast