MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
RotoMetals2

Thread: 7MM Rem mag to 7mm-08 levels

7MM Rem mag to 7mm-08 levels

My 11 year old grandson will be able to hunt big game next year and I was considering getting him 7mm-08 and then I had a light bulb moment. Is it possible to down load my 7mm rem mag to a 7mm-08 level he could handle? You have to realize he weights 80 lbs soaking wet so it not a bug guy yet and I expect he will grow some too. I kind of want him to start with a gun that he can grow into and while the 08 will work for most things we hunt, I would prefer he had more for elk when he reaches adult hood and the 7mm RM would be a good one for him. I have just started my research on reduced loading for it and will do more, but figure there may be someone here that might having a little insight into my quest. (I'm cheating and want to look over your shoulder for the answers.) I just remembered I should have done search first but if it has been discussed just tell me to do my research or list a link it wont hurt my feelings.

The Hornaday reduced load page, is just where I got started but it has limited info for one powder. I do not cast for the 7mm (yet) and that may be the way to go but for right now I'm looking at using J words in the 139 to 160 gr weights if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master
    It is quite possible. The downside is rather high velocity variation when the powder sloshes fore to aft in the case depending upon just how low you go. Many of the “reduced load” powders like H4895 show 200 fps extreme spreads in velocity when so loaded.

Banned
    Don't dismiss the 7mm-08 as a youth cartridge or beginners rifle - It is an excellent cartridge !

I understand the need for the long range ballistics of the 7mm Remington Mag for some hunting situations, partially in the western U.S., but the 7mm-08 is an awesome cartridge all to itself.

Instead of downloading a 7mm Rem Mag and shooting it in the 7mm Mag rifle, why not just start with a 7mm-08 in a 7mm -08 rifle?
    If the time comes that a magnum rifle for big game at long ranges arrives, then he can transition to that rifle for that task.

Boolit Buddy
    I taught 4H shooting sports for several years when my kids were that age.

The biggest problem isn't that he can't handle the recoil: a lot of kids, especially a pumped up youngster, can tolerate more recoil than I'd care to. The problem is that most likely his upper body strength has not developed to the point he can efficiently manipulate a full size rifle. Have him shoulder one while standing and watch his stance; most likely he'll be leaning back, struggling to keep the muzzle of the gun up.

My suggestion would be get him a youth or ultralight model in 260 Rem, 7mm/08, 257 Roberts or a similar caliber. I'm a fan of the Remington Model 7, but there several other rifles that would fit the bill, also.

CZ makes a mini-mauser in 7.62x39 that I've often thought might be the perfect kids rifle. With hand loads, it would essentially be a light, compact bolt action with 30-30 ballistics.

Boolit Master

I am a certified NRA rifle instructor and what Leslie said
    " The problem is that most likely his upper body strength has not developed to the point he can efficiently manipulate a full size rifle."
    is VERY true. I would advise a single shot rifle, not overly heavy, with a stock that fits his body. Recoil is a consideration too so the caliber shouldn't be a punishing one; try a 7x57, or 30-30 or 257 Roberts.
    Instead of off-hand shooting show him how to shoot from the kneeling position, or with shooting sticks.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

I have done this for a friend's wife when she started hunting. I'll see what I can dig up for you later tonight. I loaded 7mm Rem mag down to 7x57mm level with 139 gr Hornady spire points.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I was going to suggest 7x57 loads also.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Master

Kid's SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED RECOIL UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES !!!!!!!.

I started TRAP & SKEETING Shooting AT 12yrs old. For the next 5 years, I shot an average of 2000rds a month.
    And cranked out every round My DAD & little Brother shot too.

Every Cervicle disc in the neck is squashed to ****, my vertebrae are mal-formed and my right shoulder is crumbling to dust. I'll never fire a shotgun or centerfire rifle right handed again. Nothing more then a .22 Rim fire.

Please don't allow children that are still growing/forming to fire anything with any kind of recoil.

By the time they're 40yrs old they will FEEL IT, AND IT WILL ONLY GET WORSE.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Guys,

Thank you all for your input. I have a Mossberg 800A in .308 that I started on and can get him into reduced loads with that. It's just the 7mm is lighter then the .308 or even the .30-30 Marlin 336 I have. I'm don't lack for guns he can use just trying to give him something that he can grow with like I did the 308.

Walks, thanks for the advice on recoil, I'll keep that in mind, but he will not be shooting nearly that much unless he wants to later in life.

I may find a replacement butt stock for the Marlin and cut it down to fit him for a couple of years if the 7mm does not work out. I also should mention that I have a friend that has a 7mm-08 for his grand sons who are older then mine and has offered that too since they are about to move into a 0.270 and a .30-06.

thanks again.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Use a fast burning powder and use 150gr data for the 139gr bullet. I used IMR 4198 and it worked. 43 grains was very comfortable for her and she did get a deer with it. Estimated velocity around 2500 fps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Another big help to him and recoil would be to fit a aftermarket stock to it and shorten the length of pull down to 11 1/2"-12". Or drill 2 dowel holes deep in the stock away from pad screws. cut and save this piece. With the dowel holes it can be added back when he grows. But a rifle that fits him will make recoil easier to handle.

Check the loading manuals for information some starting loads may be close to what your looking for.

The Remington 700 SS youth rifle is a dandy rifle in 7mm-08.Down loading the -08 makes more sense than down loading the 7mm Mag.
    'Walks" makes an outstanding observation regarding recoil and physical damage to young bodies.
    I am a big fan of the 300 BLK in a bolt action rifle for a youth cartridge in a properly sized rifle for the kid.30-30 performance with .30 cal pointy bullets,outstanding accuracy,negligable recoil, will kill deer with same restrictions applied to many other cartridges.

Boolit Master
    Most any of the extruded IMR type powders can be loaded a further 5% below the published charge weights and still give good results.
    I think IMR4350 will give good results and starting loads will give you what you’re looking for.

FWIW, my 7mm08 loads are only 200fps below typical 7mag velocities for same weight bullets. Hodgdon shows a140gr Nosler @59.0gr IMR4350 yields 2,877fps. My 20”bbl 7mm08 gives 2,900fps and 3,000 with a 139gr Hornady.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Check the Lyman Cast Bullet manual, they tend towards light loads.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Minerat
    For a reduced 7mm Rem. Mag. Load Use 35 gr. 4759 with a 150gr. J for a velocity of 2450 fps.
    Last edited by Loudenboomer; 11-06-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Waksupi I forgot about the Lyman book, have #3 & #4 will take a look. Loudenboomer, think I'll try that load and see how it shoots. I'm thinking a lighter load in the 308 with a 150 gr may also be a possibility.

I'm kinda jaded to recoil I shoot a 300 WBY and that is what I use to compare how hard it kicks. I'll shoot 30 rounds during load workup and not think about it. I have to keep it in mind that this is for a 12 year old kid.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    The older Speer manuals usually list a reduced load with each bullet weight.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Quote Originally Posted by Screwbolts View Post
    The older Speer manuals usually list a reduced load with each bullet weight.
    Thanks, I have a couple of those too. They will get a look.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    NAGR member