RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I'm going to start CCWing with reloads...

Boolit Master

All my ammo is "factory" whether cast or not. powder coated or lubed. My cases, primers, powder, and yes, even my lead was made at a wheel weight factory! Seriously though, it's a matter of preference. Factory or home made, there's enough liberal, chauvinistic prosecutors whose interest is only in prosecuting (that's if, you do indeed get charged).
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

I couldn't get this to post to this discussion but here's something from youtube you can look up. Its very informative. It was posted in another group I'm in on the same subject.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ericandelaine1975 View Post
    I couldn't get this to post to this discussion but here's something from youtube you can look up. Its very informative. It was posted in another group I'm in on the same subject.

I put the corrected link to the video you were trying to share in your quoted post above, here:

ETA: For those who just want this guys take on Ammunition, he begins talking about it at the 5:30 mark or so.
    Last edited by JBinMN; 10-30-2018 at 07:11 AM.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Thanks.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ericandelaine1975 View Post
    Thanks.

You are Welcome!

Good video that is along the lines of this topic. Even though he is in Ohio, his "take" could be applicable all over & I thought it worth the watch anyway.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Yes. I'm in North Carolina and thought the same thing.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm going to start CCWing with reloads...

Interesting video. What I took out if it was “don’t do X because it makes my job harder”. Which is completely understandable since he’s a lawyer. You never know how a jury is going to respond. Just because a gun is pink doesn’t mean they will see it as a bad thing. Some may find a black gun more “evil”.

Basically what everyone should do is minimize their risks. This will make defending you in a court of law easier.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post
    Interesting video. What I took out if it was “don’t do X because it makes my job harder”. Which is completely understandable since he’s a lawyer. You never know how a jury is going to respond. Just because a gun is pink doesn’t mean they will see it as a bad thing. Some may find a black gun more “evil”.

Basically what everyone should do is minimize their risks. This will make defending you in a court of law easier.
    Exactly

My reloaded 38 special and 380 acp, gets shot and reloaded, a lot. Which means my carry ammo gets into the cycle. Which means my carry ammo doesn’t get old. In fact when I shoot what was in the gun and the extras carried with it, I draw and fire it like it was an emergency situation. It has always worked. FWIW, my 380 mustang is carried with Hornady nickel cases and Hornady 90 xtp bullets. It looks factory but loaded with Win 231 powder that pushes that bullet close to 1000 FPS. If I use my gun in a self defense situation, I am more concerned that my gun functions and performs.

Boolit Buddy
    Many years ago in Sheriff Jim Wilson's column he brought this up and in his LEO position never heard of hand loads being a problem in the courts. He asked to be informed if any one heard of this and never did. Good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    Many years ago in Sheriff Jim Wilson's column he brought this up and in his LEO position never heard of hand loads being a problem in the courts. He asked to be informed if any one heard of this and never did. Good enough for me.
    Yeah, me too. I figure he knows better than the majority of us. BUT I use Hornady Critical Defense ammo to carry based on my own wet paper and water bucket testing. I would have no qualms about carrying certain reloads- but I don't have to.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My carry ammo is all loaded with clean cases of the same brand. Unless you are a reloader yourself and know what to look for, they look factory. On the other hand, some folks will carry factory ammo of several different types and vintages in the same magazine because it's what they have on hand.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    The only thing that people here should be looking at is the DA in their jurisdiction. If the DA is a pr*ck, he will bend the law to nail you, regardless of what kind of ammunition you are carrying, what kind of gun you have, and what stickers are on it. If the DA is anti-gunowner (like the one we have is), you will be ground into dust by the DA regardless of the details of the shooting. Pay attention to the local news stories and decide if your DA is a reasonable person or if he makes a habit of stretching the law. If he stretches the law, you will be in for a hard time.

My son was the target of a DA that overreached (no, it did not have anything to do with a shooting). It cost a LOT of money to fight him. Remember that the DA has virtually unlimited resources. I doubt if most of the people here have unlimited resources. I know I don't. So fighting will cost you a lot of your future. Anyway, the Judge eventually threw his case out of court before trial. He said (thanks to the experts we hired) that the DA did not have enough evidence to prove his case. So, the DA shopped around for a different Judge that was coming up for a retention election and tried again. After a lot more money, the new Judge threw the case out of court again. The DA decided not to prosecute again but made the point to us that if he got any new evidence, he could and would file again. That was about 15 years ago.

I carry handloads. It doesn't matter. If I ever have to shoot someone, I will be spending my kids inheritance in court regardless of what happened.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post
    The only thing that people here should be looking at is the DA in their jurisdiction. If the DA is a pr*ck, he will bend the law to nail you, regardless of what kind of ammunition you are carrying, what kind of gun you have, and what stickers are on it. If the DA is anti-gunowner (like the one we have is), you will be ground into dust by the DA regardless of the details of the shooting. Pay attention to the local news stories and decide if your DA is a reasonable person or if he makes a habit of stretching the law. If he stretches the law, you will be in for a hard time.

My son was the target of a DA that overreached (no, it did not have anything to do with a shooting). It cost a LOT of money to fight him. Remember that the DA has virtually unlimited resources. I doubt if most of the people here have unlimited resources. I know I don't. So fighting will cost you a lot of your future. Anyway, the Judge eventually threw his case out of court before trial. He said (thanks to the experts we hired) that the DA did not have enough evidence to prove his case. So, the DA shopped around for a different Judge that was coming up for a retention election and tried again. After a lot more money, the new Judge threw the case out of court again. The DA decided not to prosecute again but made the point to us that if he got any new evidence, he could and would file again. That was about 15 years ago.

I carry handloads. It doesn't matter. If I ever have to shoot someone, I will be spending my kids inheritance in court regardless of what happened.
    I grew up here in the Northwest as the son of a cop. My brother and I both went into law enforcement. He stuck with it and is now a detective. I'm in corporate security.

My brother is now married to a lawyer who worked for the prosecuting attorney.

We are a very pro law and order family which has grown up hunting and shooting for decades and viewing law enforcement officials as friends.

I made the mistake of moving to the midwest in the 90's. Screwed up even further by meeting and marrying a redhead who was also an only child of strict fundamentalist Christians.

Anyway, we settled down in the heart of Iowa for a few years and that was the first time I encountered corrupt law enforcement. First time I had heard gun shots in town, and first time I had to draw my weapon in defense of others.

I learned that Iowa is the source of Fudds; people out there generally like shotguns for bird hunting and muzzleloaders for deer hunting, but beyond that don't get the gun culture and distrust outsiders who carry concealed.

I had my family surrounded in an A&W restaurant by 6 cops because some mouth-breathing idiot reported that I was carrying a pistol. Yes I was, while dressed in slacks, polo shirt, and eating with my wife, mother-in-law, and 2 small children.

It was completely uncalled for and a total overreaction.

So yes, you have to know the environment in which you are carrying. In my area, people generally have common sense and local law enforcement is not feared.

Out in Iowa and that area, I sure as hell wouldn't push my luck. Wear a John Deere hat and keep your pistol hidden...
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

Can't stand Fudds
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Grand Master
    I carry factory WWB 40 S&W JHP 180 grain and factory WWB 45 ACP JHP in my carry arms. These have been my old agency's issue duty ammo for 20+ years, and has been highly effective in all respects for that entire time. The WWB JHP ammo is identical in all performance parameters to the Win Black Talon and Ranger SXT loads that we all know and love. This is affordable carry ammo that does the job without drama and nonsense.

I reload ammo to duplicate the ballistics of my carry loads closely for the purposes of practice and recreation. The Lee TC pistol castings (175 grain in 40 cal, 230 grain in 45 cal) do great work in this venue and are uber-cheap to assemble. That such an advisement needs making on a reloading and casting hobby site is surprising.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harry O View Post

Maybe I'm just sitting here dreaming or something but my question is why do "DA's" always chase after things that aren't there? When, in the grand scheme of things-a color is clearly "blue" but all they see is "red"? I guess it's for notoriety? Another feather in the hat? Another notch? Is it "guilty until proven innocent"? Or, "innocent until proven guilty"? In all fairness, where is justice? Closest I've ever got to any judges or DA's or ADA's was that I did several construction jobs for them, and of course in my younger days, when a "black cloud" loomed over my head for a few years.
    The unexamined life is not worth living....Socrates
    Pain, is just weakness leaving the body....USMC
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is FINAL!....Wyatt Earp

Boolit Master
    To be just a little more specific: The DA charged my kid with "felony terrorism" with a possible 20 years to life. I was in the courtroom and heard the first judge tell the DA that he did not have any case for felony terrorism. At best, he had a "third class misdemeanor littering case" ... and he would have to prove that. The DA refused to reduce the charge and the judge threw it out of court. The DA then shopped around and refiled EXACTLY the same charges with the different judge. The DA did now know what we told the first judge, so he was able to change his approach a little, but with some additional work, we were able to counter him the second time, too. How can anyone inflate charges that much?

Here is another case by this DA, although I read about it entirely from the newspapers since I have no connection to anyone involved: The DA fought concealed carry licenses in the legislature for many years. When it was passed anyway, he was pissed. Then, someone called the police about a CCW holder. He evidently saw the gun "print". The CCW holder was arrested and his gun was taken away. The DA charged him with "brandishing a firearm". His "logic": The person arrested had a concealed carry license. Since someone saw it print, it was not concealed. Since the person who saw the print called the cops, he was alarmed. Showing a gun to cause alarm is brandishing. Brandishing is still against the law. He got a conviction. I have mentioned a few times on other threads that where I live we have to make sure our guns are COMPLETELY concealed, not just mostly. This is why.

Unfortunately, DA's like this are usually rewarded by the voting public by being elected to higher office, not sent to jail.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have no explanation for cops or prosecutors that step outside the law or outside the facts in order to "create" cases. In the areas I worked, there were real crimes a-plenty for law agencies to choose from, and much of the selection process involved NOT fluffing up facts but more a matter of choosing the most egregious of cases from a host of rascalities. It was triage, not creative writing. I could not work in that fashion, and will not live like that. I have to sleep at night.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234