Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: Shoulder replacement ?

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master Boaz's Avatar

Shoulder replacement ?

Anyone had a shoulder joint replaced ? If so what's the down time /recovery time ?
    No turning back , No turning back !

Im going the end of this month for surgery for a torn rotator cuff. Dr says 6 months for recovery.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Banned
    Sorry to hear that.

Look on the bright side, it will be a good time to learn to shoot with the other hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Grmps View Post
    Sorry to hear that.

Look on the bright side, it will be a good time to learn to shoot with the other hand.
    Luckily its my off hand that's bad. Unfortunately it hurts to shoot with my good hand

Super Moderator Emeritus
    We keep getting new parts we be biopic, shoulder takes longer than knee. And more therapy.

Boolit Master

Not new but got a rotator cuff put back together that was in two pieces. After about six months I was cutting bushes with a machete. I couldn't lift my arm before. Let it heal.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    Older fella got his shoulder done and when it started feeling better after a couple months with therapy he stared using it and messed it up. Had to get the surgery done again and listened to the doctor this time and 6 months later with therapy it works perfectly.

Got his knee replaced and within a week he was messing with his horses. Got a bad infection and almost lost his leg. 4 months in the bed on heavy meds and now he gets around with a cane but still has his leg.

Listen to the doctor and do the therapy.

I definitely will. My wife is a nurse. Lol

Boolit Master
    my neighbour had a partial replacement. Replaced the ball end. Was out of work for 2.5 months PT started after 6 week mark. Been back to work with PT 3 times a week. Still going to PT.

Boolit Master
    I had my shootin' shoulder replaced 3 years ago. I had put it off way too long and the muscles had deteriorated a lot so the doc had to use the "reverse replacement" strategy which puts the ball on the socket side and vice versa. Apparently they can do this reverse replacement after you have messed up bad enough they can no longer do the regular replacement.

Recovery for this "reverse replacement" was 6 weeks of absolutely no movement but then I was good to go without need of PT. I believe with the straight replacement you begin PT very soon after surgery and keep it up until your motion is good.

6 months of lifting nothing heavier than my Ruger Redhawk, but now I am good for up to 50 pounds says the good doc. Return of motion and relief from the constant pain were wonderful. Get it done and be careful not to screw it up in the recovery.

Boolit Master
    earlmck I think now that is what he had done. I remember the reverse replacement.

Boolit Master
    A friend had the total inverted shoulder replacement several years ago. She came home from the hospital with her arm in a sling and was told that it would be in that sling for at least 4 weeks. Not to bad? Except that they mean 24 hours a day for 4 weeks and the sling is strapped around your waist. Forget about T shirts. Buy some XXXL shirts that are big enough for you to put on using only one arm OVER the operated shoulder and sling. Start practicing doing EVERYTHING without that arm. This includes driving, shifting your car, fastening your seatbelt, combing your hair, shaving, unzipping and zipping, dressing yourself, tying your shoes, signing checks, etc. because with your arm strapped to your waist underneath your shirt everything gets to be much more difficult. The more you practice now the easier it will be when the time actually comes.

Now that the rehab is over her range of motion is back where it used to be but she has some trouble lifting heavy objects over her head. Think about putting a waffle iron on top of the refrigerator.

Wishing you the best.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

I thank you all for the info . It's amazing what can be done now to keep you moving like Jim said .

shoot from the bench for a while when your able. Don't push it probably take about 2 years to feel back to normal. don't shot any big bad bore rifles that kick like mules and gives you blast shock. Lot of guys at our club shoot 22 bench in matches and have one heck of a good time. Take care

Actually I'm right handed , my left shoulder is the problem so I'm assuming I could still bench shoot....maybe ?

I have the same problem. I tried it. If its bigger than a 22magnum it hurts