Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR15 stock options.

Boolit Master

AR15 stock options.

Maybe I am just weird, but always preferred the fixed AR stock, hard to find an AR in a shop anymore no matter how big or long the barrel is, all sport an M4 stock. Seems only way to go fixed is order one off internet.

Did an 80% build w the ACE skeleton stock, love it. Its just not easy to remove once installed. Did a dedicated 9mm 80%, went w the supposedly minimalist Magpul M4 stock, but come to find out, its actually heavier than the basic military M4. Cut a buffer out of brass, longer to fit wout a buffer tube spacer. Heavier to try and keep bolt pop down.

Been wanting to try an M4 stock on a new build, but cant use the 9mm lower or just pop the stock off the other. So another 80% unit.

I poked around, M4 stocks its a smorgasbord, fixed not much choice. Like the shorter ACE stock, but not much else out there that length, all are A2. I know they sell an A1 stock, might end up w one. Theres Hogue, no idea if it could be shortened? And Magpul, same idea? For the 9mm. A minimalist sort of set up.

Still going to use an M4 on the other, its not a light kicking 223 but 450 BM. Are there any M4 style with more recoil absorbtion? Im not the issue, but others will eventually want to shoot it.

Boolit Master
    I use A2 stocks only. Bought one at a gun show, and traded an old Choate 10-22 folding stock for another one. But I am a dinosaur I reckon; I just like a stock that doesn't rattle around, and worry me that it's fixing to collapse. Also, back 50 years ago I got kind of used to a real good cheek weld when I was on the rifle team in college.

I prefer the old style/length A1 stock with rubber ish buttplate . Just fits me best and the most comfortable for me anyways .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    I like the A2 rifle length buffer stocks too. I have been eyeing the wood versions though. ref http://woodforar.com/
    or
    https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product-configurator
    or
    http://www.blackgunswood.com/

Boolit Master
    I like the magpul MOE Rifle Stock

Boolit Grand Master

All of mine have Magpul stocks. CTR on all but two. They don’t make the CTR in pink so the step daughter’s has a standard MOE stock. Another has an ACS but I don’t like that one. Which reminds me I need to buy a different one for it.

Boolit Master

I am trying to figure this out myself, just got my first AR at 53 and actually like it. My 16yo daughter and will be mainly shooting off of a bench with it and would like to use rear sandbag and front rest. I am trying to figure out what would work the best. I am leaning toward the old school fixed stock myself. I just wish I could quickly swap between the adjustable and fixed.

Boolit Master

as far as i know there is no quick swap from fixed to adjustable, unless you consider changing buffer tubes out a quick swap.

Check out a mission first tactical minimalist. I'm really please with the one I have.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master
    I have not found it to be a huge labor to unthread the buffer tube for a swap, cheap armorer wrench. But the ACE skeleton does not come off easy, so is no simple swapping. Why I built another lower, so i can have a collapsable stock. I like the looks of the hogue better than the magpul. Might try the ACE minimalist one where its just a butt plate that clamps on the buffer tube.

Just odd how there is so little selection in fixed. Or why EVERY ar in the rack at a shop sports an M4 even if it has some huge scope on top and 24in varmint barrel.

See how the M4 does on a 450BM, a rifle buffer with a big chunk of tungsten inside tamed the recoil, but is to much as does not cycle everything now. See how the same buffer does in the 9mm. Need to find a scale to weigh them. A solid brass extended buffer is certainly heavier than a M4 heavy buffer. Then made another with a rod of tungsten inside. Maybe cut the one down to M4 length, see how it does with the 450bm.

A2 stock for me. No rattling unless you have something loose in the storage compartment. Feels more like a rifle to me. I bought a tan one from ATI that came with the spring and buffer and was very pleased.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tackleberry41 View Post
    I have not found it to be a huge labor to unthread the buffer tube for a swap, cheap armorer wrench. But the ACE skeleton does not come off easy, so is no simple swapping.
    If it's easy to unscrew a buffer tube to switch back and forth then maybe it's not installed right. The castle nut is supposed to be staked.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    A2 stock for me. No rattling unless you have something loose in the storage compartment.
    Some of the better carbine stocks fit tight with no rattle.
    On every question of construction let us carry ourselves back to the time when the Constitution was adopted, recollect the spirit manifested in the debates, and instead of trying what meaning may be squeezed out of the text or invented against it, conform to the probable one in which it was passed.

Thomas Jefferson, letter to William Johnson, June 12, 1823

Boolit Master

I also prefer the fixed old school stock compared to the expandable. I have had the M4 stock before but it seem like I always left it set to the max length and it was not nearly as solid as the fixed so I replaced it.

Ken

Super Moderator Emeritus
    Graf an sons has A2 stocks for 42.00

Boolit Master
    Yea maybe production guns they stake the nut. Military I can understand, they get abused do not want them coming loose. Factory has to worry what people might do. I have never bothered, snug the nut its not gonna come loose at the range. So its pretty easy to unthread the stock, make sure the 2 springs do not go flying, then put a fixed tube on, then back again.

Something else I have not seen some sort of drop in butt plate for the standard A2 stock. I know not much need on a 223, but plenty of heavy hitters on the market now, same butt plate to beat up your shoulder.

magpul MOE Rifle Stock Flat bottom fits a bag well and doesn't have all the adj. knobs & stuff to get in the way. A2 slopes and gave me trouble on the bags. Hate those cheap collapsible ones. MOE works for field or bench.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    If you want adjustable with some recoil reduction, take a look at the Mako GL Shock. It also reduces muzzle climb. The biggest I have one one is 6.8 spc. I've read comments that it works well with the 450 BM.

Boolit Master
    That Mako looks nice, if you could buy one. Not seen anybody who has one in stock. Think I will try the Hogue, see how it looks on the one rifle. Being a 9mm looks a bit bulky with the military A2 stock.

Again with all the heavy hitting rounds out there, its time for companies to try something new vs just rehashing the same things over and over. Some sort of softer drop in butt plate for A2 stocks would be really nice. Seen the slip on M4 rubber pads, but someone needs to make one that fits and simply screws down so it looks better.

Boolit Master

If I had any ARs they would all be sporting A-2 stocks for sure!
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Mine has a walnut rear stock of my making. I like the warmth wood has and on a bad hunting day when nothing is moving just looking at the wood grain is entertaining for me.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast