MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Destroyer 9mm Largo

Boolit Master

Destroyer 9mm Largo

I was looking at a Destroyer carbine in 9mm Largo tonight for $425.00. It's in great shape but someone removed the sight and installed a Williams peep sight. I have an Astra 400 and brass, dies and bullets. It looks like a good shooter. Great wood, great bore.
    Any opinions or experiences with the Destroyer?

Boolit Buddy
    I have one and they are a blast to shoot. The price seems fair IMO.

Boolit Master

Make sure the extractor is present, they have a practice of falling off and your chance of finding one is inline with unicorn horns. They are great garden rifles with cast.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I have it on hold for a week. I'll bring some brass to check the extractor. It looks like a no nonsense, no frills, well made carbine. And, I have all I need to reload for it.
    Last edited by Battis; 11-02-2018 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have one no problems with it. would make a good house gun. I picked up some extra mags. on ebay.

Boolit Master
    I passed on this rifle due to what I read about the extractors being impossible to find if they break. I did look at the rifle last night - it's back on the selling floor - and the extractor is there, in good shape. Still tempting.

Boolit Master
    I had one of these rifles Years ago, and at the time I could not find 9mm Largo ammo.
    So I converted it to 9 mm Luger by putting an insert ring , pressed into the front of the chamber .
    Then ran a 9x19 chamber reamer in to cut it to the proper depth.
    Worked fine, but now I would opt for leaving one in the original caliber

Boolit Master
    I have 3 of them they were Spanish police rifle. When I bought mine years ago they were cheap. They are a blast to shoot and cheap to reload with cast bullet. They would make a great small game rifle. Their action is base on the 93 Mauser. I really love mine

Boolit Master
    I remember wanting to get one years ago. But by the time I tried to order one, they were out of stock and sold out. They were sort of dirt cheap at the time too.

Boolit Master
    Is this a Plus or a Minus for the gun...
    I went back for a 4th look. The rear sight had been removed and replaced with a Williams peep sight. A blued piece of cylindrical metal covered the section on the barrel where the sight had been - it was a nice job, done by someone with skill. Other than that, the rifle was all original and matching. Does that sight job add to or subtract from the gun?

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    Is this a Plus or a Minus for the gun...
    I went back for a 4th look. The rear sight had been removed and replaced with a Williams peep sight. A blued piece of cylindrical metal covered the section on the barrel where the sight had been - it was a nice job, done by someone with skill. Other than that, the rifle was all original and matching. Does that sight job add to or subtract from the gun?
    I'm not sure about the collectability of Destroyer carbines. But I would use that rear sight replacement as a bargaining chip to get the dealer to drop his price a little. The last one I saw around here was in the late 1980s and the man wanted $350 for it. I thought it was overpriced at the time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    It for sure will destroy collector value if you fit a GM 45 Auto barrel blank, open up bolt face a little, massage the extractor, cut the stock at front band, match contour radius of front and rear bridge, drill for Weaver steel mounts, weld new bolt handle, make spacer for mag well and modify 1911 mags. Guess I should finish it since I destroyed it!

I have had several Destroyers. The ammo I had was Berdan primed. I made cases by thinning 38super rims. Some said this was unnessary that they shot 38acp and 38Super factory in them. I was afraid of putting undue wear on extractors. I have shot 38Super in Stars chambered in Largo.
    I load cast 125g RN cast/ 4.5gr unique. Shot a lot of Pigeons and a few groundhogs with it. Never
    had one that was a tack driver but at 25yrs was minute of pigeon. I don't think I have any parts for
    them left. Maybe some extra mags, no extractors. I just saw one a couple months ago in ruff shape
    with broken safety. $200 was the tag.

Boolit Master

I get my brass from Starline and Mags are available from Sarco for around 9.00, if you buy ten the price goes down to six and change.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Could you pull the extractor and have a spare or two made?
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I would agree, you could make a spare extractor. Anything man made can be remade.

Boolit Master
    the first batch that came in in the late 60's were modified to shoot .38 super. that next big batch that came in were not. I have one from the second batch.

Boolit Master
    How can you tell the difference?

Boolit Master

We took one and using a Win 88 barrel in 308 cut it down to fit the Destroyer
    and then chambered it for 7.62x25, what FUN!!!
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Quote Originally Posted by skeettx View Post
    We took one and using a Win 88 barrel in 308 cut it down to fit the Destroyer
    and then chambered it for 7.62x25, what FUN!!!
    Now you're talking!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast